Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #1141
zig06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Your lucky,Ive never seen anyone use a KTM kickstand for kickstarting more then a few times,they snap easy.

Im not too sure having a non vented mag cover is the way to go,they are vented for a reason,condensation happens in there,hot engine thrashing through cold creeks,etc. Condensation can sit and corrode/rust expensive ignition parts. It happened on my 96 300EXC and killed the ignition.

I can see where running the vent up high somewhere to keep it clean in there is a good thing.

I wonder does KTM lube the starter gears? Does it end up bathing the ignition in fork oil when you add your 50cc?
Well, I am (or was) careful when I used the kickstand to start it, making sure that I only use the kickstand to balance the bike, not as a third leg. It's served me well and again I'm not seeing any signs of wear. But when it was warm outside ("about" 55 or higher) with the 410w starter it would start cold with just the button, no kicking needed. So it's possible that I'm just not "kickstand kicking" as much as you were when yours broke.

As for the mag cover getting totally sealed off, my local KTM dealership actually recommended it, he's done a number of them totally sealed (including his personal race bike) and hasn't had or seen any problems. The real trick is to not use too much oil, he recommended 50cc's and that's what I used. Using more might require a vented system. The oil type is flexible, I used 10w fork oil because he recommended a lighter oil and that's what I just happen to have on hand.

KTM does use a white grease when they assemble the starter gears at the factory. When I installed the 410w starter and sealed the magneto I cleaned all of that off of the gears. My dealer did say that 50cc's should be enough to cover part of the ring gear which would then fling up and lube the bendix. Part of my winter maintenance is to pull the mag cover and see if the gears are showing excess wear or if I see any condensation in the oil.

I'll post what I find.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #1142
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,429
Hmm interesting. I suppose ill tear it apart and clean/lube everything and see if that does the trick

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #1143
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig06 View Post
Well, I am (or was) careful when I used the kickstand to start it, making sure that I only use the kickstand to balance the bike, not as a third leg. It's served me well and again I'm not seeing any signs of wear. But when it was warm outside ("about" 55 or higher) with the 410w starter it would start cold with just the button, no kicking needed. So it's possible that I'm just not "kickstand kicking" as much as you were when yours broke.

As for the mag cover getting totally sealed off, my local KTM dealership actually recommended it, he's done a number of them totally sealed (including his personal race bike) and hasn't had or seen any problems. The real trick is to not use too much oil, he recommended 50cc's and that's what I used. Using more might require a vented system. The oil type is flexible, I used 10w fork oil because he recommended a lighter oil and that's what I just happen to have on hand.

KTM does use a white grease when they assemble the starter gears at the factory. When I installed the 410w starter and sealed the magneto I cleaned all of that off of the gears. My dealer did say that 50cc's should be enough to cover part of the ring gear which would then fling up and lube the bendix. Part of my winter maintenance is to pull the mag cover and see if the gears are showing excess wear or if I see any condensation in the oil.

I'll post what I find.
Im interested also in seeing how that works with the starter,Im new to the 2 stroke lectric starter thing.

I was out on a ride last weekend,lots of downed trees,lots of hopping off and on and restarting the bike,by the end of the ride 4 other guys without a starter were wishing they had a one.

I found if I barely cracked the throttle the bike started so quick it was surprising.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #1144
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,660
Someone suggested I go Through Munn's to get the parts I need to put my 98 KTM 300 EXC motor back together. Their prices are exactly the same as what my dealer is showing?? Is there a code or something to put in??

I'll be buying two piston rings, two clips and one wrist pin.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #1145
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Someone suggested I go Through Munn's to get the parts I need to put my 98 KTM 300 EXC motor back together. Their prices are exactly the same as what my dealer is showing?? Is there a code or something to put in??

Try this site: http://www.ktmpartshouse.com/

I found their prices to be about 20% lower than other places. Parts took a little longer to arrive, but I'm a happy customer.

BTW, anyone have the PN for the piston ring clip with the grab handles (rather than being a straight C-clip)?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #1146
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post

BTW, anyone have the PN for the piston ring clip with the grab handles (rather than being a straight C-clip)?
I thought that was some part that Slavens had.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #1147
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I thought that was some part that Slavens had.
True dat. It's also the older KTM part number. I suppose I could hunt thru the fiche for late 90's KTM clips. Slavens just buys most of his stuff from KTM dealers. Since I'm already ordering a piston, I like one stop shopping.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #1148
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,328
It's the clip off the earlier model 300 and 380 ('98~'02) I think. I ordered a few from Munns and they sent me the newer version. I hate when a dealer decides they know what I need better than I do. Slavens sells 'em and so does Andrew Cooksey on KTMT
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #1149
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Try this site: http://www.ktmpartshouse.com/

I found their prices to be about 20% lower than other places. Parts took a little longer to arrive, but I'm a happy customer.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

EDIT: Yeah, that is a pretty good discount.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #1150
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
It's the clip off the earlier model 300 and 380 ('98~'02) I think. I ordered a few from Munns and they sent me the newer version. I hate when a dealer decides they know what I need better than I do. Slavens sells 'em and so does Andrew Cooksey on KTMT
Ah, got it, thanks. Many of the KTM parts are automatically superceded with the "new improved" version.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #1151
ChasM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:

Note that Munn Racing gives a 15% discount to KTMTalk members.
'08 KTM HTR 350 XCF-W(Revloc
'74 Norton 850 Commando
ChasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #1152
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasM View Post
Note that Munn Racing gives a 15% discount to KTMTalk members.
I am a member there. How do I go about getting discount??

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #1153
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,328
Quote:
I am a member there. How do I go about getting discount??

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
Check these guys out

http://www.ktmpartshouse.com/

Addl 10% going on right now.

"Enjoy an additional 10% off for the rest of December from already the
cheapest KTM parts online!! Sale starts December 11th!! Code: December"

Free shipping over $150. I just bought some stuff there w/o the code, Munn's prices were about 15% more.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #1154
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Check these guys out

http://www.ktmpartshouse.com/

Addl 10% going on right now.

"Enjoy an additional 10% off for the rest of December from already the
cheapest KTM parts online!! Sale starts December 11th!! Code: December"

Free shipping over $150. I just bought some stuff there w/o the code, Munn's prices were about 15% more.
I looked at ktmpartshouse,they dont seem to have the variety of parts that Munn has,they both have oem parts though.
My local shop does 10% off just for asking,I would rather buy local anyway.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #1155
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,128
I'm in a conundrum. I'm looking at picking up a new 2014 xcw and am torn.

300xcw
Or
450xcw

My biggest issues with the 300 is the fact its not fuel injected and the slightly more hassle on dual sport rides.

My biggest concern on the 450 is the maintenance. Not the immediate upkeep, but with the price of these machines, I see it being around for the foreseeable future.

The bike will be used for both race (harescramble/enduro) and trail riding.

Thoughts? This wouldn't be my first 450 (coming from a wr450f) and a fee years ago I had an older KTM 300.

Appreciate the input.

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote