Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #1171
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas300 View Post
Been enjoying my 300 for 250 hours now - one piston and a set of rings. Lots of tires and a chain/spricket set - that has been it. Been a wonderful bike and the best money spent was a revalve on the suspension from KTM World. I got the itch for a new bike but like this one too much to get rid of it. So the answer is a new 200XCW.

It will be interesting to see which gets more miles on it
Ive had 3 of the 200's and they all went great,the newer they are the faster they are.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #1172
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191

There's my 13 300 , I have that bike setup exactly how I want it for tight stuff. I even hauled it 24 hours to Moab and loved it there too.

I too was torn between a 450 or the 300 when I bought it but I have a garage full of orange four strokes that need oil changes and valve adjustments. Very glad for this type of bush weapon I went the route I did.

Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #1173
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,650
Got my dealer to match the KTMPartshouse pricing on what I need for my rebuild, so ordered my parts from them.

Also picked up my son's first KTM

DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #1174
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,320
Very cool, get him used to the koolaid early

Smart move on the price match.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #1175
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Very cool, get him used to the koolaid early

Smart move on the price match.
Yeah, I leveraged buying the Strider to get them to give me more than a normal discount on parts. They usually do very well with me though...other than tires, which they can never touch the prices on versus the internet, they will match anything else I bring them.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #1176
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkerlou View Post

There's my 13 300 , I have that bike setup exactly how I want it for tight stuff. I even hauled it 24 hours to Moab and loved it there too.

I too was torn between a 450 or the 300 when I bought it but I have a garage full of orange four strokes that need oil changes and valve adjustments. Very glad for this type of bush weapon I went the route I did.

Nice 300! I was wondering about Moab on an unplated bike,theres plenty of trails to do there without a plate?
I let a guy ride my new 300 yesterday briefly,hes good on bikes.
He rode it maybe 5 minutes,came back with a huge grin, was heard to say"this thing is great,best suspension Ive ever tried!" hes been riding an 09 450. Wants something lighter for the woods.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #1177
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Nice 300! I was wondering about Moab on an unplated bike,theres plenty of trails to do there without a plate?
I let a guy ride my new 300 yesterday briefly,hes good on bikes.
He rode it maybe 5 minutes,came back with a huge grin, was heard to say"this thing is great,best suspension Ive ever tried!" hes been riding an 09 450. Wants something lighter for the woods.
plenty of non plated riding in Moab and it's big fun on the 300s. If you look at the vids in my Sig, I've got allot of it captured on vid. Beware, it'll add a new destination to the bucket list
Old 12-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #1178
Twotaildog
Old Poop

Oddometer: 1,111
I've got a '99 300 exc that I managed to get plated. I've tweaked the suspension just the way I like it. I did the top end, and when it runs good, it runs good. It's so light it's a hoot to ride. It weighs less than I do. I've always struggled with the carburetor though. Whenever I haul it somewhere, I end up spending the first day getting it jetted right. It seems to be very sensitive to elevation changes.

Is there any good guidance out there for jetting these things?

Thanks...
KTM 640 ADV - Guzzi Centauro - Husky TE510 - other stuff
...sweet dreams and fine machines in pieces on the ground...
Twotaildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #1179
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotaildog View Post
I've got a '99 300 exc that I managed to get plated. I've tweaked the suspension just the way I like it. I did the top end, and when it runs good, it runs good. It's so light it's a hoot to ride. It weighs less than I do. I've always struggled with the carburetor though. Whenever I haul it somewhere, I end up spending the first day getting it jetted right. It seems to be very sensitive to elevation changes.

Thanks...
My jetting was all over the place too (98 300 EXC), BUT, it was because of airleaks in the cases. I had to do a ton of sealing with silicone with the cases, and then the jetting was what is supposed to be.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #1180
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotaildog View Post

Thanks...
The older bikes are known for being tough to get the jetting dialed in on, the engine changes were mostly incremental over the years but the carb was one of the significant changes. If you can pick up a later model carb it'll help allot, there was some significant improvements when they went to the 36mm on the 300s, one being the ability to get the jetting pretty close.

Over on KTMTalk there's a section called "Big Bike Part outs" I see them on there occasionally for around $100, not much more than a JD jetting kit. Might want to examine the reeds also if you haven't already, they'll wear out and it'll start running a little weird also.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #1181
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Get both.

guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #1182
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Anybody know if wheels off of a 99 ktm 300 will work on a '14?
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #1183
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
x bushing

Anyone here use this? I read some on ktm talk, but got mixed reviews. Time for a all bearing grease down and thought I might explore this option, but would like some input. Thanks
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #1184
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
I have used the X bushing a a couple of KTMs with good results. You can lower the bike about 1" with the latest generation bushing I tried. Some grinding of the swingarm at the lower shock mount is required.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #1185
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentjo View Post
Anybody know if wheels off of a 99 ktm 300 will work on a '14?

The back wheel will fit,but the front axle is too small on the 99 wheels to fit the 14.They make a kit to change bearings for a bigger axel.But im pretty sure the 99 wheel was he really small axel and the kit is for 01 and newer.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote