ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #1261
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
Is the clutch cover gasket as big an issue as it's made out on ktmtalk?

How about e-start issues? I see there is a "wet" mod to it to keep it lubed and dirt\grime out.

I figure most of those issues are like any issue where it gets blown out of proportion on forums, but it never hurts to ask.

I'm 175-180 before riding gear, so most any of these bikes stock suspension will likely be fine for me.

Maybe I should eye up the 6-days the dealer has. The 4CS forks have me intrigued, and then I'd save myself from having to get a pipe guard\skid plate.

Andrew
Clutch cover gasket? Its there,what would I do with it?

Im already addicted to the E-start,if there's a problem I fix it,I looked at Slaven's fix online for putting oil in the starter gear case,that could happen.

Some guys do too many "fixes" they see online and cause more problems then blame the bike,Im trying to keep that to a minimum.
Local shop wanted 10.4K for a 6 days 300 OTD.

I went with 8800.00 for a regular XCW,the open chamber forks work pretty sweet as is on trail.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #1262
Just John
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Pine Barrons,NJ
Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I just ordered a new pipe, so far I've tried the stock pipe, Knarly, and the SRT. If I just rode tough st the knarly would be perfect but we ride about 30% in the desert where you're up on the pipe, much of it in sand. The stock pipe seemed to have the widest range of HP

Here's my take so far;
KTM Stock - worked really well, good mix of low end and a nice over rev.
FMF Knarly - Great low end, better than stock but it sorta fell off toward upper revs.
SRT - Great price but it seemed to be a little down on power throughout the rev range compared to the 2 pipes above.

I was going to get the FMF Fatty but I've been hearing allot of good things about the ProCircuit PC II so I decided to give that a spin. If it works as well as the stock pipe I'll be happy. My reeds are shot again after 1.5 years so instead of buying replacement pedals @ $60 I'm sticking in a VForce 4. It's going to be tough to tell if the improvements are the pipe or the reed valve.
The PCII works very well. I first tried one on my 01,was so impressed decided to try one on the other bike (07 with 11 jug) The stock 04-10 pipe is still my favorite. The 11 up PCII is a close second.
Just John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #1263
andrewgore
Team MGH
 
andrewgore's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NW Suburbs, IL
Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Clutch cover gasket? Its there,what would I do with it?

Im already addicted to the E-start,if there's a problem I fix it,I looked at Slaven's fix online for putting oil in the starter gear case,that could happen.

Some guys do too many "fixes" they see online and cause more problems then blame the bike,Im trying to keep that to a minimum.
Local shop wanted 10.4K for a 6 days 300 OTD.

I went with 8800.00 for a regular XCW,the open chamber forks work pretty sweet as is on trail.
I figured that to be the case, which is why I ask here. Similar to my RMX which has a "crap" carb. Ok the lack of idle circuit is annoying, but the bike has pulled some great starts in every race it's been in and has never had an issue.

My dealer is about same price for the XCW, though I haven't probed too much on the 6-days pricing (though my math puts it just under 10k OTD). I'll inquire more when I'm in there next. Unfortunately it's about -10F right now, so test riding won't do me much good.

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #1264
Just John
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Pine Barrons,NJ
Oddometer: 172
Doug,your 300 is a MXC ?
Just John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #1265
DougZ73
Fading off.........
 
DougZ73's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 6,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just John View Post
Doug,your 300 is a MXC ?
Nope, its an EXC.

What makes you think MXC??
__________________
Skyline Drive 11/2010 , Catskills 2010 trip, Catskills 2011 , Southern TNJT, 2011
DougZ's MTB thread , DZ Moto Photo Bloggin' , (my) Learning photography thread, DougZ vids
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure: Grayson Hunter Z., born 5/3/14
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #1266
ChasM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Loomis, CA (Sacramento area)
Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
Any idea on how it rides compared to the 2013 GasGas 300? I literally felt I could do anything on that bike.


Andrew
The KTM will do most everything better due to the fact that the newer GasGas bikes are much heavier than the KTM.
__________________
Trailbike Sportsmen Assoc/AMA
'14 BMW R1200GS LC
'09 Beta 565 RS (with Revloc)
'08 KTM HTR 350 XCF-W(Revloc
'74 Norton 850 Commando
ChasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #1267
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Clutch cover gasket? Its there,what would I do with it?

Im already addicted to the E-start,if there's a problem I fix it,I looked at Slaven's fix online for putting oil in the starter gear case,that could happen.

Some guys do too many "fixes" they see online and cause more problems then blame the bike,Im trying to keep that to a minimum.
Local shop wanted 10.4K for a 6 days 300 OTD.

I went with 8800.00 for a regular XCW,the open chamber forks work pretty sweet as is on trail.
Agreed. I would stick with opening up the starter every couple years to clean, inspect brushes, & apply grease where necessary.

I just opened up my 450 starter & found it to be much easier to work on than the 300. OTOH, KTM parts fiche shows no replaceable parts and $272 for an entire unit.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #1268
Just John
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Pine Barrons,NJ
Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Nope, its an EXC.

What makes you think MXC??

The ''light'' 2k2 stator/flywheel i see in the picture. The heavier 2k3 is much more user friendly. The 2k2 is much more stall prone and very zippy when you get on the gas. My 07,started as a 250 with 2k2,when i bolted on the 300 jug it was a bit mental for my taste. Tried a f/w weight... this did little. When i found a deal on a 2k3 setup the bike was transformed,smooth strong easier to ride.

Tried a 2k2 on the 01 for 1 ride,hated it.
Just John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #1269
DougZ73
Fading off.........
 
DougZ73's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 6,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just John View Post
The ''light'' 2k2 stator/flywheel i see in the picture. The heavier 2k3 is much more user friendly. The 2k2 is much more stall prone and very zippy when you get on the gas. My 07,started as a 250 with 2k2,when i bolted on the 300 jug it was a bit mental for my taste. Tried a f/w weight... this did little. When i found a deal on a 2k3 setup the bike was transformed,smooth strong easier to ride.

Tried a 2k2 on the 01 for 1 ride,hated it.
It is just what came with the 98. I even just confirmed with the online fiche.

That was one thing that I did like about the 300...it was never that hard to kick start for me. My old 2000 DRZ 400( kicker only), was much harder to start sometimes.
__________________
Skyline Drive 11/2010 , Catskills 2010 trip, Catskills 2011 , Southern TNJT, 2011
DougZ's MTB thread , DZ Moto Photo Bloggin' , (my) Learning photography thread, DougZ vids
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure: Grayson Hunter Z., born 5/3/14
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #1270
Just John
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Pine Barrons,NJ
Oddometer: 172
The weight of the f/w has little to do with starting. It's when you are putting power to the ground,that the affects are felt. As i recall the one short ride we took,you spent a lot of time kicking.
Just John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #1271
DougZ73
Fading off.........
 
DougZ73's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 6,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just John View Post
The weight of the f/w has little to do with starting. It's when you are putting power to the ground,that the affects are felt. As i recall the one short ride we took,you spent a lot of time kicking.
yeah, that is before we( you and I) consulted about jetting. Feel good that you are the first one to help start me on the right path for the jetting. The air leaking BS was a whole nother issue.

We'll have to get out again this season..once I have this beech up and running...again.
__________________
Skyline Drive 11/2010 , Catskills 2010 trip, Catskills 2011 , Southern TNJT, 2011
DougZ's MTB thread , DZ Moto Photo Bloggin' , (my) Learning photography thread, DougZ vids
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure: Grayson Hunter Z., born 5/3/14
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #1272
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Agreed. I would stick with opening up the starter every couple years to clean, inspect brushes, & apply grease where necessary.

I just opened up my 450 starter & found it to be much easier to work on than the 300. OTOH, KTM parts fiche shows no replaceable parts and $272 for an entire unit.
I have seen rebuild kits for the starters for about 70.00.Im told the 13 and 14 starters are the good ones,stronger starter,stronger battery. Its very handy on tight trails.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #1273
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I have seen rebuild kits for the starters for about 70.00.Im told the 13 and 14 starters are the good ones,stronger starter,stronger battery. Its very handy on tight trails.
Sorry, I was referring to lack of rebuild parts for the RFS 450 motor. Funny that KTM lists a parts breakdown for the 300 starter, but not the 450.

I'm pretty happy with my '11 300 starter. I just don't use it when the engine is completely cold.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #1274
zig06
Gnarly Adventurer
 
zig06's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Oddometer: 128
How to fix your 300's jetting

I ran my 300 with stock jetting ~ as per the manual for a year. It always seemed fat on the low end but being my first KTM I really wasn't sure. The I went on a ride with a couple friends that brought two 10 year old riders. The pace was so slow that I managed to foul 2 plugs. So my feeling of being fat on the low end was confirmed even though it was correct according to the manual.

Bought a JD jet kit that week, and was rewarded with clean jetting top to bottom. At this point I am totally sold on their jet kits, especially the ones for KTM 2 strokes. FWIW the instructions make it painfully easy to install one of their kits.
__________________
2012 KTM 300XC-w
zig06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #1275
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig06 View Post
I ran my 300 with stock jetting ~ as per the manual for a year. It always seemed fat on the low end but being my first KTM I really wasn't sure. The I went on a ride with a couple friends that brought two 10 year old riders. The pace was so slow that I managed to foul 2 plugs. So my feeling of being fat on the low end was confirmed even though it was correct according to the manual.

Bought a JD jet kit that week, and was rewarded with clean jetting top to bottom. At this point I am totally sold on their jet kits, especially the ones for KTM 2 strokes. FWIW the instructions make it painfully easy to install one of their kits.
I'm sure that KTM would err on the side of being fat.

The PO on my bike had Slavens rejet it. It was jetting so lean that it was constantly on the verge of melting down and would behave terribly when you got on the main jet. His main jet was about 5 sizes smaller than recommended by KTM.

Stick with the KTM chart. Run slightly leaner if you want.
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014