Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #121
utopia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig
Local dealer says 7K OTD or a 09 300 XC-W.

Or....6K or so OTD for an 08 with 136 hours and about 1300 miles.

Which way to go?
FWIW - Word on the street is that the suspension was much improved in 09 over the 08.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #122
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,089
Or just go for the 2010 at 7500 and call it a day.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #123
GasGas300 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
New 300 xcw!

I just bought a 2010 300 xcw - I can hardly wait for all the snow to melt. I installed a Hyde racing products skid plate/pipe protector. It looks a little goofy but I really like the coverage. I am a little spoiled by the 50+ MPG that my 690 gets and am pretty sure this 2 stroke will be nowhere near as good. Any Ideas what I can expect?

BTW- I installed the Enduro Engineering headlight and tail light - really impressed with the quality and fit. Should be no problem getting a plate for this.
GasGas300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #124
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas300
I just bought a 2010 300 xcw - I can hardly wait for all the snow to melt. I installed a Hyde racing products skid plate/pipe protector. It looks a little goofy but I really like the coverage. I am a little spoiled by the 50+ MPG that my 690 gets and am pretty sure this 2 stroke will be nowhere near as good. Any Ideas what I can expect?

BTW- I installed the Enduro Engineering headlight and tail light - really impressed with the quality and fit. Should be no problem getting a plate for this.
GasGas, you will love this bike. I get 25 - 40 (tight single track - roads) on my 2008 300 XC.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #125
MeterPig
Meh

Great little TT thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=827708

Gas Gas, check your PM's.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #126
MeterPig
Meh

Well, I just couldn't bring myself to go in debt for a dirtbike. Ride the TTR this year and save up for an 09 or new XCW next year.

Oh well...
Old 03-01-2010, 05:21 AM   #127
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,569
What size carbs come on the 300's?
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #128
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,203
I drank the Kool-Aid this weekend
Arranged earlier this month to pick up this bike off another inmate (Thanks R.Markus!). Got the chance to go pick it up this Saturday. Left @ 6:30am. Got to his place just before 9am. Back at my shop @12:30pm. Tossed on the ice tires, and was up riding on Lake Geneva before 1:30pm. Amazing lil bike.

Harescrambles sure are gonna be fun this season

Andrew
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #129
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
What size carbs come on the 300's?
Hey Jeff,

I'm sorry nobody got back with you, sooner...3-honey guys are slacking. I have an '09 XC-W, and it has a 36 (Keihin).

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore
I drank the Kool-Aid this weekend ...
Beautiful bike, Andrew...I know you will love it.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #130
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,072
Great thread guys!!

I fell in love with the 3honey a long time ago. Me and three for my friends used to ride a lot together back in the mid '90's. We were riding a Ca-Am 250, a husky 250, a CR500, and me on the lone thumper, a DR350. One day, the new guy at the job site asked if he could come riding with us. Of course we say. He shows up that sat. morning with a brand new KTM 300!!! None of us had even seen one before. That bike rocked, it was like from a different planet. Ever since then I've wanted one. Well fast forward 15yrs, looking to finally get one. Can't quite swing a new one right now though, so looking for a older one. 2000-2005ish.

So what are the things to look for in a older one? Are some years better than others, and what changes did they make over the years? Looks like 03-07 are very similar? And what about the older (1999)380's?

Thanks,
Earl

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #131
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,411
After the lovin'...

I took the 300 out, for a little lovin', today. Problem was, my digital camera had a very slow shutter speed. So, I'd drift the ass-end out (for a little hang-time), and the camera-man (my dad) would have to try to guess when the shutter was actually going to get the shot.

I don't want anyone to think that there was a lot of action (I'm no Marc Coma.). But, because of the shutter speed, the camera-man would either capture the "before action" or "after-action" shot, and miss (what I thought was) the "action" shot.

Oh well, I thought I'd still go-ahead and share. Enjoy...

EDIT: Earl, I feel bad that you haven't gotten any answers to your questions. Unfortunately, this is not the "DR650 Thread", where you get five answers in three minutes. I wish I could help, but my knowledge of the 300's is limited. Be patient...One of the "KTM 300 Thread" good samaritans should be-along, shortly, to help-ya'-out.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 08-07-2010 at 08:38 PM
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #132
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by big adv

So what are the things to look for in a older one? Are some years better than others, and what changes did they make over the years? Looks like 03-07 are very similar? And what about the older (1999)380's?

Thanks,
Earl
I've been waiting for an expert to chime in because i'm not. Here's my best.

2000 model went to USD forks and different engine cases. Most engine parts still swap but ignitions do not. Trail Tech makes a 100w+ stator for the '00 up. Older your stuck with the $ KTM 50w+- if you want more juice. 250,300, 380 have the same bottom end other than 380 has a different crank. Trannys will swap between EXC and MXC. Suspension is the same too. SX has stiffer suspension,stator,different head,PV governor,MXC tranny and domed piston. Minor annual changes until '05.

2005 has a completely redone engine. Slightly softer power but much easier to tune. Chassis went to oval tube(i think this is the year) and a bigger swingarm pivot. Better handling and lighter. All new plastics,tank/seat including one piece rear fender/side panels.

380s in paticular got a decompression hole in '99. Much easier to crank. I had a '99 engine and wouldn't want it any harder. Cases changed in '00 as above. All other parts crank,piston,clutch side cylinder and etc. swap from '97- 00. Exhaust is 380 specific but the 250-300 exhaust will fit.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:16 AM   #133
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia
FWIW - Word on the street is that the suspension was much improved in 09 over the 08.

True, but any bike I get will go in for a suspenionsectomy by Hancock suspension. For 2k, I can get SX racing suspension for the stars.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #134
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig
True, but any bike I get will go in for a suspenionsectomy by Hancock suspension. For 2k, I can get SX racing suspension for the stars.
Hitchcock ....('master of suspense'), and you won't spend anywhere near $2k with Neil. (nor do you need it)
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #135
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
I've been waiting for an expert to chime in because i'm not. Here's my best.

2000 model went to USD forks and different engine cases. Most engine parts still swap but ignitions do not. Trail Tech makes a 100w+ stator for the '00 up. Older your stuck with the $ KTM 50w+- if you want more juice. 250,300, 380 have the same bottom end other than 380 has a different crank. Trannys will swap between EXC and MXC. Suspension is the same too. SX has stiffer suspension,stator,different head,PV governor,MXC tranny and domed piston. Minor annual changes until '05.

2005 has a completely redone engine. Slightly softer power but much easier to tune. Chassis went to oval tube(i think this is the year) and a bigger swingarm pivot. Better handling and lighter. All new plastics,tank/seat including one piece rear fender/side panels.

380s in paticular got a decompression hole in '99. Much easier to crank. I had a '99 engine and wouldn't want it any harder. Cases changed in '00 as above. All other parts crank,piston,clutch side cylinder and etc. swap from '97- 00. Exhaust is 380 specific but the 250-300 exhaust will fit.

Thanks for that, close to getting a 05, but if that falls through theres a 02 as well that I'm looking at. Keep you all posted. Can't what to get one, been out of off road riding for too long, going to teach my kid how to ride this sommer, got him a CR80 for X-Mas, should be fun.

Earl

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote