Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #1411
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
...I'm not a big believer in scrubbing the bike after each ride, but I do give a detailed wash before tearing into the engine.
much more "politically correct" than the question i was gonna ask after seeing that pic.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #1412
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
I wasn't planing on taking it apart before I cleaned it but one thing led to another. My dirt bikes do tend to get dirty and stay that way.

I did reassemble and cleaned her up while waiting for local Moto shop to open Tuesday for parts.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #1413
bykpimp
Live and let ride

Oddometer: 1,408
Lil help please. What kind of range are you guys getting out of a stock tank? I have a 2013 XCW. Footdragger, I know you have a 2014. What kinna range you getting?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:14 AM   #1414
Wentjo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykpimp View Post
Lil help please. What kind of range are you guys getting out of a stock tank? I have a 2013 XCW. Footdragger, I know you have a 2014. What kinna range you getting?
I'm getting about 60 miles before I need to flip to reserve on mine. It's a 2014 XCW
Wentjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 AM   #1415
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,771
Quote:
I dont even have it jetted right yet,but I think I can do 65+ miles on the stock 2.5 tank no problem. What needle are you running in yours?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #1416
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,395
65 miles before resevre has been normal for me,even my 200's average that.OEM tanks.50:1

But the XC is thirsty...Shes running rich.Didnt get to many laps in before the 2 gallons I threw in was gone.
But the ice must make her parched.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #1417
bykpimp
Live and let ride

Thank you for the answers fellas. Neat Ice pic!!!! I've been shuffling Brass in my smokers, both street and dirt for over 4 decades now so it pains me to tell you (Footdragger ) that My bike is bone stock, haven't touched a jet, needle or mix screw. Yes, it's on the fat side as delivered. Seems like only yesterday I had my weather station hanging from my EZ-UP (Think TZ250)
Old 02-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #1418
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,395
Gotta keep you guys in warm places honest once in awhile.
Ice,its not just for scotch.

Bet ya wish you still had the TZ....

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #1419
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Thank you for the answers fellas. Neat Ice pic!!!! I've been shuffling Brass in my smokers, both street and dirt for over 4 decades now so it pains me to tell you (Footdragger ) that My bike is bone stock, haven't touched a jet, needle or mix screw. Yes, it's on the fat side as delivered. Seems like only yesterday I had my weather station hanging from my EZ-UP (Think TZ250)
This 14 was delivered on the fat side to where it fouled plugs and died,then went on reserve at 35 miles in as delivered state of tune. Ive gone to the leaner needle and now need to order the next leaner needle after that.

Ive had more then a few new KTM 2 strokes and dont remember doing this except on the 96 300EXC,it went through 3 or 4 optional needles and I still didnt consider it perfectly jetted. But that's how they were back then. I think maybe one needle clip setting change has dialed in most newer KTM's for me,and usually end up with a 35 pilot.

My 76 Montesa enduro could use some jetting,not sure where to get square body Amal jets.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #1420
zig06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
MPG? ~ not sure

I got 45 miles out of my '12 300XCw before hitting reserve (figure just over 22mpg). That was with stock jetting that was so fat that I actually fouled a plug on a slow and tight ride. Not sure what I'm getting since I installed a JD jet kit.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #1421
bykpimp
Live and let ride

Yowzer!!! Fat city indeed!!! Now that I've ran a couple few tanks of gas through it I'll start to lean on her. Foot dragger are you saying that you've the leanest of the two extra supplied needes installed and it's still fat? where on the clip are you? main? slowspeed? mixture screw? I've a five gallon bucket full of brass but doubtful any Amal. Not that I've anything against " Tickling "
Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #1422
bykpimp
Live and let ride

I want to do White Rim road in Moab on this bike. I'm looking into a 5 gallon tank as the road is at least 100 miles long. I managed to run out of gas on it once on a 950 ( as well as shit a water pump ) not looking to relive that Adventure.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #1423
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I'm not a big believer in scrubbing the bike after each ride, but I do give a detailed wash before tearing into the engine.
I think I see a clean spot...
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #1424
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Yowzer!!! Fat city indeed!!! Now that I've ran a couple few tanks of gas through it I'll start to lean on her. Foot dragger are you saying that you've the leanest of the two extra supplied needes installed and it's still fat? where on the clip are you? main? slowspeed? mixture screw? I've a five gallon bucket full of brass but doubtful any Amal. Not that I've anything against " Tickling "
I tried it at the leanest position on the leanest needle it came with,it didnt run right that way,leanish and ran crappy in general at about 4000'+ elevation,yet seemed rich on the second to leanest position on the same needle. Obviously work is needed.

Ive got the standard 35 pilot at around 2 turns out on the airscrew and the 165 main jet it came with,Im going to drop the main at least 1 size and see what that does. And get the next leaner needle,the L needle.

I guess a JD jet kit would be the only way to ride it in Colorado,it would take a bunch of needles and experimenting otherwise.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #1425
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
I want to do White Rim road in Moab on this bike. I'm looking into a 5 gallon tank as the road is at least 100 miles long. I managed to run out of gas on it once on a 950 ( as well as shit a water pump ) not looking to relive that Adventure.
Id like to go ride this 300 in Moab,I think with it jetted right 4 gallons should do 100 miles easy.

Although I am fixing up an 06 525 for thrashing around as well.