Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 05:03 AM   #1426
Twotaildog
Old Poop

Oddometer: 1,113
When I was dual sporting on my 300, I always took an empty Stabil bottle, filled it with two cycle oil, and carried it in my back pack in a zip lock baggie. The Stabil bottle lets you measure out whatever number of ounces of oil you want by just squeezing it up into the neck of the bottle. I had the number of ounces of oil per gallon written on the back of one of my handguards, so it was easy math whenever I gassed up.

Who's the go-to Mechanic out there for rebuilding KTM 300 motors? I want to get mine into shape but I've got a couple of other projects going right now. Is there someone that's highly recommended that I can just ship it to?
KTM 640 ADV - Guzzi Centauro - Husky TE510 - other stuff
...sweet dreams and fine machines in pieces on the ground...
Twotaildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #1427
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotaildog View Post
When I was dual sporting on my 300, I always took an empty Stabil bottle, filled it with two cycle oil, and carried it in my back pack in a zip lock baggie. The Stabil bottle lets you measure out whatever number of ounces of oil you want by just squeezing it up into the neck of the bottle. I had the number of ounces of oil per gallon written on the back of one of my handguards, so it was easy math whenever I gassed up.

Who's the go-to Mechanic out there for rebuilding KTM 300 motors? I want to get mine into shape but I've got a couple of other projects going right now. Is there someone that's highly recommended that I can just ship it to?
Slavens would probably build you a nice trail monster engine,Im not 100% sure he rebuilds engines but you could ask him.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #1428
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,278
Check with Munn for an engine re-build. I think they may even have prices and services on their web-site.
I've never used them for this, but they are my go-to-guys for KTM.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #1429
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotaildog View Post

Andrew Cooksey does great work and well known throughout the KTM boards, like KTMtalk.com.

http://www.cookseycrank.com/
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #1430
Pmason
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Andrew Cooksey does great work and well known throughout the KTM boards, like KTMtalk.com.

http://www.cookseycrank.com/
I've purchased top end kits from him. Seems like a good option for engine repair based on reviews from KTMtalk.

Many send him the entire engine or just the bottom end. It's what I plan to do if I don't want to tackle the bottom end rebuild myself in a few years.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #1431
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmason View Post
I've purchased top end kits from him. Seems like a good option for engine repair based on reviews from KTMtalk.

Many send him the entire engine or just the bottom end. It's what I plan to do if I don't want to tackle the bottom end rebuild myself in a few years.
Yeah, I sent him the bottom end of my 300 engine, and did the top end myself. He did a great job with it. sadly, after his first quote, I had asked him to make it a little more budget friendly, and use some cheaper components. He did that and used a ProX bearing instead of the stock one he normally uses, on the crank, stator side..the roller one...and it failed...through no fault of his. Just an odd defect...piece of the roller cage broke off, got sucked up into cylinder...destroyed the cylinder wall and piston. So now, I am doing whole motor over myself. Decide to do the bottom end to make sure I find and remove said piece of metal.

Andrew is a good guy though. He has literally answered hundreds of emails and questions.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #1432
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
Quote:
Yeah, I sent him the bottom end of my 300 engine, and did the top end myself. He did a great job with it. sadly, after his first quote, I had asked him to make it a little more budget friendly, and use some cheaper components. He did that and used a ProX bearing instead of the stock one he normally uses, on the crank, stator side..the roller one...and it failed...through no fault of his. Just an odd defect...piece of the roller cage broke off, got sucked up into cylinder...destroyed the cylinder wall and piston. So now, I am doing whole motor over myself. Decide to do the bottom end to make sure I find and remove said piece of metal.

Andrew is a good guy though. He has literally answered hundreds of emails and questions.
After seeing some of the reports here, this is exactly what happened to my old 300. The groove in the cylinder wall was too square to just be a rock. It had to have been a piece of the main bearing cage that came loose.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #1433
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,320
+1 for Andrew Cooksey, he's got a good rep and his prices are very reasonable.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #1434
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
After seeing some of the reports here, this is exactly what happened to my old 300. The groove in the cylinder wall was too square to just be a rock. It had to have been a piece of the main bearing cage that came loose.
Yep..once I started taking the bottom end of my engine, the picture of what happened revealed itself.

In regards to the bearing...freak occurrence. I did speak to Andrew about it, and he never heard of one of them failing like that.

FWIW..After the purchase, and original motor rebuild, I have now exceeded the bike's value(~$1250). Every dime I put into it since has been a losing proposition. Damn KTM's.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #1435
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

So recall this picture:

So at this point, all of the rollers are removed and the defective inner cage( which caused my engine failure) has been removed and destroyed in the process. The crank shaft seal there has also been removed at this point...so only the outer part of the cage is left in that side engine case.

So last night, using a generic bearing puller from autoparts store, and a heat gun, I attempted multiple times to pull the outer bearing cage from the case. No luck. I did use various size washers( heavy duty) to fill the gap and give the drive rod of the puller something to push back against.

I called the dealer today to talk about bringing it to them and having them pull the cage out and install the new bearing. They are willing to look at it and give it a try.
The guy did suggest taking the whole engine case half and sticking it in the freezer over night, and trying it again...no heat. Might could work?

Thoughts?

FWIW..I have heard of heating the case and freezing the bearing to make installing easier, but never freezing everything to pull a bearing.

DougZ73 screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 07:36 AM
Old 02-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #1436
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,320
Cold makes things shrink.
So if bearings cold and case is hot,in expansion its much easyer to make them fit.

Do you have dent puller?

Couple 1/8" holes and a dent puller should do it.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:39 AM   #1437
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Cold makes things shrink.
So if bearings cold and case is hot,in expansion its much easyer to make them fit.

Do you have dent puller?

Couple 1/8" holes and a dent puller should do it.
I do have a dent puller....damned if I know where it is.

I am thinking the cold on cold thought is the two metals will shrink at a different rate and amount..and hopefully the steel of the bearing cage shrinks less than the case aluminum....so it may come out easier. Sure easy enough to try...no harm, no foul.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #1438
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
The steel bearing expands/contracts at roughly half the rate of the aluminium. Heat is your friend.

If you can cut the roller cage out & remove the rollers, a guaranteed way to remove the race is to use a MIG or stick welder to run a bead around the inside of the race. As the weld material cools, it exerts an incredible shrinkage force on the race. I've used this to remove steering head races that didn't have a lip to catch with a punch. The race will literally fall out.

Obiously, be very careful not to strike an arc against any part of the case.

HellSickle screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 07:55 AM
HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #1439
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,320
Quote:
I do have a dent puller....damned if I know where it is.

I am thinking the cold on cold thought is the two metals will shrink at a different rate and amount..and hopefully the steel of the bearing cage shrinks less than the case aluminum....so it may come out easier. Sure easy enough to try...no harm, no foul.

Dent puller $12 go buy nother.

Cold n cold,i guess the gaskets an seals would keep the two at different temps.But id have a torch with me,just in case.And heat the case up if it doesnt come out right away.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #1440
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Dent puller $12 go buy nother.

Cold n cold,i guess the gaskets an seals would keep the two at different temps.But id have a torch with me,just in case.And heat the case up if it doesnt come out right away.
I'd be leary to take it out of the freezer and put a lot of heat on it right away....would probably crack the aluminum case....which is not wanted.