User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
JG5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
yamaha jog starting problem, help!

hey so i found a 1990 yamaha jog for a decent price, when i contacted the guy he said it would start but when i went to pick it up he couldnt get it started. so when i got home i installed a new spark plug and checked the compression, so i tried to kick start it but it wouldnt work i tried the electric start but all i heard was a buzzing sound and a few times it almost turned over. so what should i do? any help would be greatly appreciated
JG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
Quickv4
Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer: 550
Dirty Carb, Dirty Carb, Dirty Carb, Dirty Carb

Take apart, clean it really good, adjust everything to base settings, ride...

Its really easy to clean, My former Razz took about a hour to disassemble/reassemble, HOWEVER, I did have the stripped carb body soaking in a gallon can of carb cleaner overnight.

If you need any other help, just post up...

www.v4hondabbs.com
Quickv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
pennintj
Down & Dirty Mechanic

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG5
hey so i found a 1990 yamaha jog for a decent price, when i contacted the guy he said it would start but when i went to pick it up he couldnt get it started. so when i got home i installed a new spark plug and checked the compression, so i tried to kick start it but it wouldnt work i tried the electric start but all i heard was a buzzing sound and a few times it almost turned over. so what should i do? any help would be greatly appreciated
Sounds like the battery is low or dead for starters. Try charging the battery and see if it will crank.

Tom
www.fxmotorsports.net
pennintj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
JG5 OP
Adventurer

it took the carb off it looked very clean but i cleaned it again, i have no idea what the base setting are there just put to what they were before. i checked the battery and it was 11.62 volts so that should be good, i also cleaned the battery terminals. am i missing something?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #5
nii
Johnnie Walker

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG5
am i missing something?
the battery should be around 12.5 volts, but the Jog will kick start even if the voltage is down.
I guess you should see if the automatic choke works. you can dismount it, apply 12 volts to the plug and see if it moves a bit with time.

try to cover the airbox intake with something (manual choke of sorts), if it starts - then change the choke or have the carb adjusted.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
pennintj
Down & Dirty Mechanic

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG5
it took the carb off it looked very clean but i cleaned it again, i have no idea what the base setting are there just put to what they were before. i checked the battery and it was 11.62 volts so that should be good, i also cleaned the battery terminals. am i missing something?
Battery will read between 11 - 13 volts depending on how recently it was charged. Put your meter on it, hit the starter button, and if it reads under 8 volts (under load) it's bad.

Yes with a kickstart it should start, however it'll be easier to troubleshoot with it starting on the starter.

My next suggestion will be to test the auto-bystarter for failure, if your jog has one. Easiest method is to cover the airbox intake and crank the bike.

-Tom
www.fxmotorsports.net
pennintj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,644
Found a Jog locally...pretty rough for $300 and he says there is a title that was lost and the PO will sign paperwork to get it back.....
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
JG5 OP
Adventurer

i did the airbox intake test and still nothing. the first and sometimes second try of starting after letting the bike sit the engine makes a weak attempt at turning over but after that it just makes that buzzing noise