Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #16
banjopete
broke, student, lurker

Oddometer: 186
well done with the add ons, they look great, just a simple and effective improvement
banjopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #17
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 774
and gusto-rama to you. I was at a client's house today and her daughter was having a piano lesson, the instructor left and mom started talking about practicing. a schedule for practicing, and I took tne mom aside and said you never, ever, ever practice, you play. You just play. On the ivories, in the dirt, on the track, on the guitar. Let's play. Great to see you honing your skills, Nico, driving the dream, playing.

I have a Februray date with the Renazcos's for my nx250. But Nico, I've got my Hein Gericke leathers from 1982, norton commando days in the valleys of manhatten, and i still wear them. Fit like snake skin. What is this spread you speak of? Do you coat you seat with sure grip? Like a sandwich spread?

Glad you are expanding you product line, your newsletter is a treat, your work and dedication to a business based on a passion is really inspiring. Hard hard work. Hopefully this economic trench du jour is on the upswing, I received, today, 4 calls from clients who want my design/building services again. Huge smile. This is after a total shutdown from September, last year. A wave of just go away, no extranious projects, we'll call you, etc. Bankers, merchants, industrialists with capital for recreational property enhancements. So, what's a motorcycle rack or two? Let's go....gentlemen, good stuff from a jewel, order up. If you havn't seen her Rugged Rider website, or her products, check it out..in a way i am promoting a great looking product I'll never buy, cause it doesn't fit my vintage needs. I wish it did, but i bought a tubing bender, fresh welder, etc. to perhaps provide a product for a niche market, and what this woman has done is very, very neat. And i am totally supportive of her drive, her initiative, and involvement in a male dominated sport. So rack it up, guys, she's got the break.

Let's us just have great year,

rockydog

Rockydog woofs the isles, British isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #18
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73
Hey Nico...good repping of the DRZ.

I am surprised you left the rack side extender mounts on for the course??
Doug,

Good question. I had really used some strong Threadlocker on the bolts and didn't want to take it off just for the day. Next time I will, though.
nicomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #19
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Got the Dirt Bug!!!!!!!

Another beautiful sunrise ride got me to Ramona from Carlsbad by 8:00a. Bellied up at the Ramona Cafe where Bonnie, Paul and I had our fill of a great breakfast while going over the route of the day.

Here is a Mapsource printout of our fun trail ride loop that covered the Orosco truck trail, Santa Ysabel truck trail and Sutherland Dam Road...

We started off with starry dirt eyes just outside of Bonnie's backyard. How would you like to have a playground like this out your back door?

We found our way to Pama Road, which is a beautiful paved road through lush and Oaky Pama Valley with Black Mountain and Mesa Grande Indian Reservation to the East.

Spotted the entrance to Orosco Truck Trail...

Wow, the DRZ responded well to me executing the counter-intuitive turning technique around the corners, while I kept my eyes focused on what lay ahead. I felt good about the lines I chose to avoid the big rain ruts and rocks. It took awhile to get accustomed to holding the grips loosely and letting the bike dance beneath me in the varying terrain of dust, sand and rocks.

It was so exhilerating to be out in nature on a piece of moving machinery that felt like it was one with my body. Can't wait to feel more and more confidence on different terrain, especially while standing the whole time.

We stopped at a shooting range to have a shooter shoot a shot of us (say that 3 times fast) before veering to the right onto Forest Rte 12502...

We then cruised around the lock gate to get onto Forest rte 12502. Well, I didn't really cruise through the detour, but more like took the tight turn slopily and let it bog, so I wouldn't go flying into the Ocotillo. It looked like a nice place for the bike to take a dirt nap.

We zipped up a little further before heading back down with no detour around another locked gate.

Here's Bonnie zooming back down on her '04 Yamaha WR450...

And Paul follows...

Thank heavens my riding buddies didn't mind me stopping for shots for my ride report. These reports are no good without the pictures. Right?

Pulled over to shoot the view towards Black Mountain and the Pama Valley...

This trail was relatively easier terrain than the Santa Ysabel Truck Trail that we found next off of Forest Road.

The first leg to this lookout point over Pamo Valley in the Cleveland National Forest was also relatively easy-to-navigate terrain of soft dirt and minor sand...

Where Forest Road meets the Santa Ysabel Truck Trail was a nice Oaky canyon area to rest in the shade for a water break...

It was at this spot where Bonnie and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing Paul's tall, worldly adventure riding tales. Let's just say key words were parasites, Egyptian serum from a gypsy, Mt. Fuji, Nepal, and long hair. Incredible!

He had a very captive audience...

Fun group.

We hopped back on the bikes towards Lake Sutherland on the Santa Ysabel trail. At this lookout, Paul and I were just beginning the challenging trail that would put our new dirt knowledge to the test.

After this point, we hit some really great eroding trail, boulders and a lengthy sand trap. Luckily, I went throttle happy through the sand and danced right over it. I came close to wiping out 3 times, but was very proud of how I didn't over-correct and kept it upright.

Bonnie was thrilled to see Paul and I catch up to her and was very proud of her students.

It was easy riding to this nice view of Sutherland Dam and Lake...

There you have it. An absolutely glorious dirt introduction weekend. From the dam back to Bonnie's was a nice sweeping paved road that eventually took us through more horse country...

We made it back to Bonnies covered in dust. A true testament that fun was had today.

What really cinched the deal was toasting a great ride with some cold drinks, while watching Ned Suesse's fantastic DVD "Dual Sport Riding Techniques" available for sale at dualsportriding.com...

Paul and I got fired up watching some incredible mastery of adventure riding by narrator and expert Ned Suesse. Watch the DSR Techniques trailer and see if you get as inspired as we were.

Here's to the beginning of a great dirt love affair! See you guys out there.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #20
katanarama
riding > posting

Oddometer: 182
Great ride report and very nice DR :)
katanarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #21
jjustj
JUSTAGUYTRYING2STAYDRY

Oddometer: 5,266
Great Pics, great report.. and

Great People. RIDE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #22
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Forgot the exciting part on my way home

Almost forgot the big adventure on my ride back to Los Angeles the back way up the 15 fwy to the 210. Still an hour away from L.A., I felt a sputtering from the motor going 75 in the fast lane. I thought, "Oh crap, I'm outta gas." But, then it kicked back in fine for another couple of miles. I stayed in the slow lane, though. Then it really started to die, so I pulled off the freeway and coasted down the off ramp. At the bottom, I flipped the tank onto reserve, but it still wouldn't turn over. I looked in the tank and it looks like I have enough for it to fire up, but no go.

So, I just started walking the bike looking for a gas station. Then lo-and-behold a guy in a pick up truck pulls over into the shoulder next to me.
"Need a hand?" he asks.
"That'd be great" I answer.
"What's the problem?"
"It sputtered and then died. Don't know if it's a clogged fuel line or something else."
"Could be a vapor lock."
So, he unscrews the cap and belts out,
"Girl, your outta gas!!!"
"Well, damn, this is the single most embarrassing moment of my motorcycle career. "

This angel introduced himself as Gary and helped me tip over the bike to get enough gas into the side with the petcock. I had looked at the other side when I had peeked inside. Waddaya know.

I followed him to the nearest station, and he generously let me grab a picture of him for the ride report. What a sweetheart...

That humbling little incident slowed my ride home down a bit. But, once I was home I hugged my sweet little angels real tight. They loved hearing about mommy's weekend adventure...

Rockydog,

You sure have it right when you describe life as play. You hit the nail on the head. It's all about having fun and making the best out of every situation.

As long as you have passion for what you are doing money will follow. I'm having fun with my new business, and am really enjoying the ride with people like you guys.

Thanks for coming along for the ride.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #23
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

A Big Fat Thanks to J

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj
Great People. RIDE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, J, if it weren't for you this fabulous weekend would have never happened. You're the best!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #24
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicomama
Doug,

Good question. I had really used some strong Threadlocker on the bolts and didn't want to take it off just for the day. Next time I will, though.
Ah ha..OK...I got ya.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #25
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Nicole,

Another nice report. Shows the proper responsibility in training up to an event. I wish more riders thought like that. Being a sole-proprietor myself, I like your style, but....

UCSB? A shameless party school! I'm so jealous I didn't go to school there

Saludos,

Mike

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #26
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

"UCSB? A shameless party school! I'm so jealous I didn't go to school there "

Mike,

Yep, you should be jealous. It was such a great venue for College that I just couldn't leave after graduating. Of course, I had sand in all my books, but I did balanced the fun with an education.

Ended up becoming a Real Estate Appraiser and did that for 8 years until I outgrew the single community and moved to LA to get into the entertainment industry. I still miss Santa Barbara and will be hitting it on my next ADV ride up the central coast. Yeeha, can't wait.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #27
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,242
Thanks for the report and pics.. kids are really cute! Glad to hear your little mechanical problem wasn't anything a bit of gas didn't solve
Old 01-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #28
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Always enjoy your reports.
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #29
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Thanks for the report and pics.. kids are really cute! Glad to hear your little mechanical problem wasn't anything a bit of gas didn't solve
Gadget Boy,

What was funny was that I had only filled my tank half way the night before the ride, so I wouldn't be so heavy on the trails. Doh, I was so tired on my 2 hour ride back to L.A. that I checked the tripometer and knew my 182 miles wasn't close to running out of gas at the over 275 mile capacity. Woops.

Check things twice when you're tired. Even when you're not.

Thanks for the compliment on my cuties.

Raw Dog,

Thanks for following me. It's fun to have you guys around.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #30
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
Nice report, sounds like a great learning opportunity for you.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote