User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
bOLTcOLT OP
I'm into vagabondage

Oddometer: 17
Screw and Bolt Gauge Meets the 21st Century

Hey all...last time I was here I had posted my Enfield trip through N. India, that was like 6 years ago! Holy crap time flies.

I built something I thought I would share with the ADVrider community. It's free (for now, anyway), so hopefully it helps out a few of you. If you don't have an iPhone, sorry but no luck :(

I was sick of not being able to ID bolt/screw sizes, threads and such while on the road. Had a few instances where an app that measured accurately, cross-referenced between US/metric, and provided tooling information would have been reaaaalllyy handy. Couldn't find one, so I just made one.

It's called Wonderbolt. Only works on iPhones for now (apologies Android community but might be in the works?), but does all the above and more. It's helped me out of a jam more than once, and saved some serious time/frustration.

Find it here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wonderbolt/id873989562

Or for those dubious souls who need to see it in action first, the YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/embed/joZFRWygi6k

Would love some feedback...definitely would benefit future versions. Or just take 3 seconds and give 'er the 'ol App Store 5-star rating/review if you feel it deserves such.

Hope it helps. Happy wrenching!

Josh
Attached Images

bOLTcOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,363
Too bad it can't do it automatically by just taking a picture of the fastener and figuring it out.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
wadenelson
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Too bad it can't do it automatically by just taking a picture of the fastener and figuring it out.
Can't tell how far away from the camera you're holding the bolt. Need a banana for reference.

If they link it to a company that will OVERNIGHT you the nuts and bolts you need in a Priority mail pouch they'll be rich.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadenelson View Post
Can't tell how far away from the camera you're holding the bolt. Need a banana for reference.

If they link it to a company that will OVERNIGHT you the nuts and bolts you need in a Priority mail pouch they'll be rich.
Use the auto-focus emitter to determine the distance to the bolt, and thus the scale. And use Amazon same-day drone drop shipment.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 1,009
Cool app and cool name too!
I'd get that NOW if it was free and it worked with Android.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
bOLTcOLT OP
I'm into vagabondage

Use the auto-focus emitter to determine the distance to the bolt, and thus the scale. And use Amazon same-day drone drop shipment.

Thanks Troidus i'll work on that. Sounds like a buggy nightmare though. When I have millions to throw at the problem I'll come up with something good.

Cool app and cool name too!
I'd get that NOW if it was free and it worked with Android.

Mike...If I get some pretty good feedback i'll look into porting to Android. But as of right now, so many devices and screen resolutions made it difficult to develop on a budget. You're definitely not the first to shout android though...
Old 09-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,681
JUST downloaded, and will use it this evening . . . . .thanks a million!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
TomAZ1983
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Awesome! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TomAZ1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOLTcOLT View Post

Thanks Troidus i'll work on that. Sounds like a buggy nightmare though. When I have millions to throw at the problem I'll come up with something good.
Sorry. It is nice to not have to tote around a separate thread gauge. Consider my suggestions part of the inevitable feature creep.
(Now if Amazon can get FAA approval for the drones....)
Old 09-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
wadenelson
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by bOLTcOLT View Post
[I]Use the auto-focus emitter to determine the distance to the bolt, and thus the scale
Simpler solution. Have the user lay a penny next to the bolt and take a photo as head-on as possible. Then provide the USER with an adjustable zoom until the penny fits in an round outline on the screen. You've corrected for scale.

Rather than then attempting to do pattern recognition, simply OVERLAY different thread pitches against the properly zoomed image, allow up/down/right/left/rotateL/rotateR nudges, and have the user press a button for "smaller" "bigger" "finer" "courser," "back" or "best match."

I used the emitter in a Polaroid camera (sonar) to control a small robot designed to navigate a maze, worked rather well, but there were always situations where it could get fooled.

This way you make the USER the fool! Voila!

My dad was a machinist as well as an engineer. Helped design the proximity fuses that knocked down the kamikazes during WWII. Sure wish I could show him this. He'd have loved it.

wadenelson screwed with this post 09-16-2014 at 06:52 PM
wadenelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
EmBeeZedEx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I hope the actual app is better than that screen shot. Last time I checked the major and minor diameters shouldn't match. so ya know 3/8-16 is like .305 ish... I mean its a .312 drill to tap it, right?

Carry on.
EmBeeZedEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:36 AM   #12
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,124
Downloaded. Looks good.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #13
bOLTcOLT OP
I'm into vagabondage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmBeeZedEx View Post
I hope the actual app is better than that screen shot. Last time I checked the major and minor diameters shouldn't match. so ya know 3/8-16 is like .305 ish... I mean its a .312 drill to tap it, right?

Carry on.
Dude good catch!!! These screen shots were from WAY in the beginning during development. You know that i've used that screenshot for a ton of marketing material thus far and NO ONE has caught that?! Damn! I owe you a beer. Thanks.

Updated screenshots below! But to get to the point, the actual app IS better than the screenshots.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #14
bOLTcOLT OP
I'm into vagabondage

"Sorry. It is nice to not have to tote around a separate thread gauge. Consider my suggestions part of the inevitable feature creep.
(Now if Amazon can get FAA approval for the drones....)"

Troidus, no worries man! Feature creep is an unstopped glacial force, bound to happen. I would say, so is the drone movement. Glad it could be of some help to you though.

"My dad was a machinist as well as an engineer. Helped design the proximity fuses that knocked down the kamikazes during WWII. Sure wish I could show him this. He'd have loved it."

Wade...that's really, really cool and i'm honored you would want to show your dad. Working with all the high tech simulations and software that engineers do these days, i've got mad respect for engineers before my time. We've got it easy these days.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #15
AllBlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadenelson View Post

Or the shipping company will anyway.
Great Idea though.
I like the app
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to slide across the finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting GERONIMO!!!"
AllBlak is offline   Reply With Quote