Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 01:22 AM   #46
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 534
Installed my new HDB Ultimate hand guards today. Very nice kit, thanks Paul.

Installation wasn't bad, its just that the KTM heated grips and G2 cam caused some extra time.

The KTM hand guards, at least on my bike, had a flange outside the bar end, under the grip creating a 9 mm gap under the grips when removed.

On the throttle side I have a G2 throttle cam. The cam tube has an inner ring preventing the grip from being installed too close to the throttle housing. This forces the grip off the end of the throttle tub. A 6 mm spacer was installed.

Some how I needed to get rid of 9mm of space at each end so that the HDB guard bar would mount against the bar end.

The controls on both sides would not move inward because of the alignment holes in the bar. I didn't want to shave off the pegs to allow free placement of the controls. Not sure why I didn't do this.

I put extra washers on the left one extra washer on the right and cut down the grip on the right. On the KTM heated grip there is a recessed channel near the bar end, intended for a zip-tie. I cut up to the outer edge of this channel. I only cut through rubber and did not touch the heating elements. There is a limit to how many washers/spacers you can add to the end of the bars because the guard bars will no longer reach the mount.

The bar top plate is blank for now, as I decide that switches to put where and what type of power connectors I will need.

I got black anodized everything to match the blackness of the bike. Black fasteners would make good sense when someone orders the all black option.

The HDB hand guards look very cool and are very well built.

I held off on the mirrors because I like the KTM folding mirrors.

Beefy left (notice zip-tie channel with tie)

Control stack

Beefy right

HDB Cool
EdGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #47
Stovebolt
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer: 464
Ed,

Pity the tree or hitch-hiker who gets tagged by one of them bad boys!

Stovey
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-jankowsky/86/31/b04
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:54 AM   #48
S1am
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Any interest in making a set of these that would fit Airhead GS bikes

I know I'd want a set and bet there would be others as well.

I believe it would require ~80 X 32 mm mounting. You'd likely wind up with a plate that fit loads of airhead models (I bet some people would buy just the dashboard to mount switches, even if they didn't want hand guards.

Looks to be enough clearance on my bike for the guards.....

Any one else interested?
S1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:33 AM   #49
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 589
Don't hold you breath waiting for an answer.

No replies from Mr HDB since January to several questions in this thread and his other thread.

I really wanted a set and was prepared to make em fit myself, even if it involved some engineering. I tried direct email and initially got a promise of action but I gave up waiting after several subsequent attempts over several weeks with silence being the deafening reply.

So I bought a set of Bark Busters.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #50
Stovebolt
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer: 464
No Comms with Paul?

That's not good - but I hope he's alright and not incommunicado for some reason that ain't good. He makes a great product in the handguards, top clamps, mirrors and turn signals, I've had nothing but success with my setup. Thrilled to death with it all....

You out there, Paul?

Stovey
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-jankowsky/86/31/b04
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #51
kailuasurfer
Dreamer

Oddometer: 359
We were right in the middle of working on something and,... Paul has not been returning emails.
kailuasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #52
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 2,103
He's still around and working on things... I have two e-mails from him in the past week. I'm waiting for him to finish risers for my V-Strom, and was told I can expect them next week
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #53
kailuasurfer
Dreamer

Oddometer: 359
Guess I will ping him again. Thanks.
kailuasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #54
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,387
Check spam filter too.
Not sure why - but a couple of people I know had his reply emails end up in spam folders. Especially hotmail, it seems.
Ive never had a problem getting responses to questions, etc
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #55
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Qustion on WR250R fitment

Total single track noob here, and relatively new WRR owner. Well today I did something fun. 6 miles of Rainbow Trail between Bear Creek and Methodist Mountain. So now I suddenly get why everyone has hanguards, body armor, bash plates, disk guards, spares, etc. Managed not to destroy anything on me or the bike but I can see the very real potential to do so, especially ripping off mirrors and bashing bark/rocks with one's hands (and knees, owww). Oh yeah and had lots of fun.

Been looking at HDB handguards & mirrors. I kind of don't want to get into fat bars yet (keep stockers). Is that stupid or what? If it is not, then can I get a twin powerlet top clamp with the stock bars? Not clear from the order page.

Does someone have the measurements for the top clamp handy for the WRR? Also any other advice for the WRR/single track noob on these handguards would be appreciated. TIA.

AJ
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #56
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,667
Hey Paul I got the new top clamp for my 950 with the Emig damper on it. Put it on today. Works perfectly!

Awesome set up and even better service!

Steve

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:20 PM   #57
wesseld
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT
Can these be fitted to a Triumph 955i Tiger?
Has anyone fitted these handguards to a Triumph Tiger 955i (2006 specifically) yet?

Don
wesseld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #58
fire_strom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Also wondering about this...

[quote=Light Rider]Cool guards...

Looking for the difference between the regular handguards and the "Ultimate Handguards"... . (don't see a distinction on the site unless I'm missing something...)

quote]

fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #59
supergper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
When I ordered mine a couple months back, I know Paul was super busy. He has outstanding customer service though and will make sure you are happy. I'm a life long fan given the quality of service I received...all my bikes will be upgraded with a HDB setup the day they come home

I too switched from an Acerbis setup and got tired of bending bars and handgaurds with teh Acerbis. Since switching to the HDB, I've crashed harder than I ever did with the Acerbis and there's no sign of bending at all.
supergper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #60
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
Got mine today. I'll fit them after this weekend's ride. I realized I need new bars. The touratech F650GS Magura bar kit has the bar cut pretty narrow with the grips sticking off the ends to allow the BMW heated grips to work. So in reality my bars are narrow than I thought. I'll pick up some Pro-Tapers next week.

Paul happened to have a 100x43mm top clamp to work with my Touratech/WP fork kit.

Cool Beans.