Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2010, 02:12 AM   #136
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
I can't see KTM using their 'old' technology (ie the RFS engine) in their flagship factory effort? - that would be an admission of failure, even though, as we know, the RFS engine has proved very reliable for what is still a competitive 'race' motor...agreed its low likelihood, though still the best privateer Dakar KTM choice

Likewise, there is no way KTM will use the Husaburg engine - if only from a marketing point of view, they can't be seen to admit that a 'competitor' (even if they are the parent company) has a better design than they do? no not under KTM banner, but dont be surprised to see a Berg factory team alongside the KTM one after all with the Coma and Despres camps there are 2 factory teams anyway

Personally I still think we'll see a derivative of the current 450cc XC4 engine, in a simpler chassis (rather than the trellis of the 690s), but with a one-piece rear end, and a similar fairing design to the current 690... just my feeling...yeah obvious choice, but

Jenny xx
A LC4 450 RR based on the 690RR but with a weight loss programme etc would be just as fast as any other 450 out there, low development cost, much better reliablity, much less bivouac work intensive..............and they did it before and it was at the front end of the 450 class

as for marathon single engine 450's not making it I think Franco Picco this year proved they can and still run fast
Old 02-12-2010, 02:43 AM   #137
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,127
I don't disagree with anything above S'B - like you say, the RFS is an excellent choice for the privateer entry, perhaps even better than the current generation XC4? - especially in marathon class...

I also would love to see a factory Husaberg team in the Dakar next year - I think that new bike has a great deal of potential as you have experienced already...

The Rally light version of the 690 you posted earlier is a great looking machine, and I'd agree that a sleeved down version (as long as they do actually sleeve it down of course, ahem) is probably the simplest way for KTM to enter the 450cc class competitively - however, it begs the question why didn't they use them this year? (not withstanding the fact it would need the full front fuel tanks fitting as well for Dakar) - after all, they had to 're-engineer' the 690 to 730cc negate the intake restrictor - why not spend that effort in creating a competitive 450cc version which was inevitable anyway?

J xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #138
M.R.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg
Argentina & Chile for one more year.......................because

1) the $$$$ the 2 governments are prepared to throw at ASO to keep the event there

2) also the need for more time to get a secure route and various government agreements in place for a north africa rallye Tunisia - Libya - Egypt etc
Not sure you would get too many brits, yanks etc racing through Libya. When they kidnap you, it is for keeps
Old 02-12-2010, 03:11 AM   #139
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R.
Not sure you would get too many brits, yanks etc racing through Libya. When they kidnap you, it is for keeps
Libya has changed in recent years - they are actively encouraging tourism... that is not to say there won't be the odd fractious group trying it on, but I imagine the government will do everything they can to ensure the huge ASO money machine is welcome in Libya?

J xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #140
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
Libya has changed in recent years - they are actively encouraging tourism... that is not to say there won't be the odd fractious group trying it on, but I imagine the government will do everything they can to ensure the huge ASO money machine is welcome in Libya?

J xx
I've been keeping an eye on the LDC and it seems to have gotten back on track over the last couple of years, following a very sketchy start and cancellation a few years back.

One thing which can change virtually overnight though is the status of things like visitor's visas. One day you could be allowed in, the next day not. Canada pissed them off and we are now persona-non-grata there. Same thing could potentially happen to Yanks and Brits at the drop of a hat. But personally...I don't think I'd worry as much about personal security there as much as in Mauritania.

The other issue I have with it (since I cross the Canada/US border so frequently) is with the current state of security I'm not sure I want the extra scrutiny a Libyan stamp on my passport would garner me every time at the US border.

One thing is for sure...the dunes and landscape there are simply astounding.
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009

canadaler screwed with this post 02-12-2010 at 06:11 AM
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:09 AM   #141
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
RE: KTM's 450

Keep in mind that if they are going to continue to campaign the 690 in other events they may not want to spend a lot developing a totally new 450 just for Dakar.

Lends credence to speculation of going with a sleeved down version of an existing bike.
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #142
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,950
well, there is another example of why having 2 passports is great-I only use my US one for entering the US, canadian for everything else

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaler
I've been keeping an eye on the LDC and it seems to have gotten back on track over the last couple of years, following a very sketchy start and cancellation a few years back.

One thing which can change virtually overnight though is the status of things like visitor's visas. One day you could be allowed in, the next day not. Canada pissed them off and we are now persona-non-grata there. Same thing could potentially happen to Yanks and Brits at the drop of a hat. But personally...I don't think I'd worry as much about personal security there as much as in Mauritania.

The other issue I have with it (since I cross the Canada/US border so frequently) is with the current state of security I'm not sure I want the extra scrutiny a Libyan stamp on my passport would garner me every time at the US border.

One thing is for sure...the dunes and landscape there are simply astounding.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #143
CBVRacing
CBVRacing

Oddometer: 457
2010 Dakar Post Race Interview on FoxSports

2010 Dakar Post Race Interview on FoxSports Television
Uploaded by cbvracing.
Join Dream Racer on Facebook

CBVRacing screwed with this post 02-13-2010 at 01:53 AM
CBVRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:06 AM   #144
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,180
Good stuff Christophe!
Well done
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:09 AM   #145
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,535
Any idea when the documentary will be out?

Congrats on your finish Christophe

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #146
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Rumors about Coma and Despres

actually find on Coma's homepage:

www.marccoma.com

The AMV pilot Marc Coma renews contract with KTM
miércoles, 10 febrero 2010
The agreement makes the KTM rider of Avià on until the end of 2012
The pilot AMV Marc Coma, double winner of the Dakar (2006/2009) and triple Rally World Champion, has started the 2010 season by renewing his contract that binds him as the first pilot to the end of 2012. For now, the pilot AMV lead the Austrian squad that has developed its sporting history and has enjoyed his greatest hits. Without knowing the name of his teammate, Marc Coma immediately will begin developing the new KTM in different configurations to decide which bike he will use in the next Rally World Championship and especially in the face of new Dakar technique regulations.
In the presence of Heinz Kinigadner Managing Director and Sports Director Pit Beirer, the pilot AMV renewed his contract with KTM, thus becoming an official pilot of the mark during 2011 and 2012 seasons. This new two-year agreement represents the continuation of a successful relationship between the pilot and KTM brand, with which he has competed over the last 8 years.
The company, headquartered in Mattighofen, Austria, and unveiled its first sports bet for the next two seasons, which included the 33rd and the 34th edition of the legendary Dakar Rally and the next editions of the Rally World Championship 2010, 2011 and 2012.
Marc Coma was very pleased and excited about the new project. Before a new era Dakar, that he may return to the African continent and the implementation of new legislation, the Austrian brand wanted, with this gesture to reward the trust and the trajectory of the pilot AMV.
The agreement guarantees to Marc Coma and his team to have the official support of KTM and hope to return with success, all the confidence you have placed the Austrian brand on the new project.
MARC COMA Pilot AMV: "Very happy to address it with my brand new project of life, which again gives me full confidence as leader of the pilot plant. I have a lifetime here in this great family and I hope that together we can enjoy wonderful moments. It is a great gesture by KTM after a complicated Dakar, highly appreciates this show of support and the fact that you give me the opportunity to form my own team within the official structure. Now we have a whole year full of "training" and races. To develop the new bike will require much work later this month and begin the first phase. I want to convert, in success, all the confidence that KTM placed in me. "
italrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #147
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,171
Coma is probably THE fastest and when on ... charges an almost unbeatable. Its smart for Heinz to keep him and let him run a satelite team. This will be intresting to see what Cyril is going to do...
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #148
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBVRacing
2010 Dakar Post Race Interview on FoxSports Television
Uploaded by cbvracing.

Awesome! Now stop doing interviews and get that documentary edited! I can't WAIT to see this!

Top job Christophe! You are an inspiration to all of us who want to compete one day...

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #149
CBVRacing
CBVRacing

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone
Awesome! Now stop doing interviews and get that documentary edited! I can't WAIT to see this!

Top job Christophe! You are an inspiration to all of us who want to compete one day...
Simon tells me he will have a 4-5 minutes 'reel' to present to televisions in about 2-3 weeks. Can't wait to see it myself as well. I think there is enough footage on-bike / off-bike to run another "Dallas Series" LOL.

We will present two options to the networks, a 90 min film and a 4-part series.

However, the core of the story is much more powerful than watching bikes across deserts. It took me 5 years to get this off the ground and finally recorded this 09/10, you will be impressed with the finished product as Simon is a genius.

There are all the ingredients to get everyone onto the next Dakar, or the next 'Dream' you have. And in the end, make sure you have tissues handy to wipe the tears...
Join Dream Racer on Facebook
CBVRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #150
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally
actually find on Coma's homepage:

www.marccoma.com

The AMV pilot Marc Coma renews contract with KTM
miércoles, 10 febrero 2010
The agreement makes the KTM rider of Avià on until the end of 2012
The pilot AMV Marc Coma, double winner of the Dakar (2006/2009) and triple Rally World Champion, has started the 2010 season by renewing his contract that binds him as the first pilot to the end of 2012. For now, the pilot AMV lead the Austrian squad that has developed its sporting history and has enjoyed his greatest hits. Without knowing the name of his teammate, Marc Coma immediately will begin developing the new KTM in different configurations to decide which bike he will use in the next Rally World Championship and especially in the face of new Dakar technique regulations.
In the presence of Heinz Kinigadner Managing Director and Sports Director Pit Beirer, the pilot AMV renewed his contract with KTM, thus becoming an official pilot of the mark during 2011 and 2012 seasons. This new two-year agreement represents the continuation of a successful relationship between the pilot and KTM brand, with which he has competed over the last 8 years.
The company, headquartered in Mattighofen, Austria, and unveiled its first sports bet for the next two seasons, which included the 33rd and the 34th edition of the legendary Dakar Rally and the next editions of the Rally World Championship 2010, 2011 and 2012.
Marc Coma was very pleased and excited about the new project. Before a new era Dakar, that he may return to the African continent and the implementation of new legislation, the Austrian brand wanted, with this gesture to reward the trust and the trajectory of the pilot AMV.
The agreement guarantees to Marc Coma and his team to have the official support of KTM and hope to return with success, all the confidence you have placed the Austrian brand on the new project.
MARC COMA Pilot AMV: "Very happy to address it with my brand new project of life, which again gives me full confidence as leader of the pilot plant. I have a lifetime here in this great family and I hope that together we can enjoy wonderful moments. It is a great gesture by KTM after a complicated Dakar, highly appreciates this show of support and the fact that you give me the opportunity to form my own team within the official structure. Now we have a whole year full of "training" and races. To develop the new bike will require much work later this month and begin the first phase. I want to convert, in success, all the confidence that KTM placed in me. "
hmmm there are a few interesting between the lines bits in this, probably also trying to mess with Despres head as well

as to which is faster, thats a tough call Despres has made some amazing come from behind catchups in the past...........head to head not much between them

Its going to be a great couple of years for rallye I reckon with the new high level supported Sherco & Aprilia teams taking it to KTM as well as the Yamaha's etc.

The 70 degree sloper should really suit Cyril and give him the edge though.