Oddometer: 519
Bike of meijlinks buddy
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2010, 04:43 AM   #167
hookeniggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
So yeah some guys really got screwed over last year,

Henk Knuiman got the restricted 690, while his teammates got 700's and 750's he found out along the way restriction was 690 only rule.
Of course KTM never minded to tell him, they had a dependable watercarrier in Henk, coming from a family having done many many Dakars' and even more ISDE'S, in the days that Danny LA Porte was running for Cagiva with Meoni, and long before, he's capable of riding in the top 10 easy.
Frans Verhoeven was given 10 minutes penalty for finding out as the first rider they've been send the wrong way by a cop, Coma and Fretigne got 5 minutes compensation for finding out later, thus putting them first an second, costing Frans's stage victory.
So pay attention if ASO makes another rule, they make and adjust their own, don't take anything for granted, and ask twice.

If things get to complicated, opt for the Africa Race, its ran by Dakar legends, Jacky loomans - louis Slescher - Jan de Rooy - Renee metge they comply with FIM rules and keep things simple for the bikes, <450>, so under and over 450, or consider Budapest-Bamako, which has been the longest intercontinental Rally, so a rally covering at least two continents, so how things started and beemer still use in their marketing, now for 4 years, they have no rules at all, nice, entryfee as low as 300 euros, starting at the Budapest F1 circuit, with lots of int Celeb's joining the party every year.
They even have a youtube comp for guys that wanna enter for free.
So with all due respect to the compettitors that enter Dakar every year, there are alternatives.
I'm in for Budapest - Bamako, enyone else? PM
Old 02-21-2010, 03:14 AM   #168
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Cyril Despres on Facebook:

Quote:
News
Fri at 19:58

Hi Everybody

As you have probably noticed I am not yet very quick at posting messages – please forgive me – I have been super busy these last few weeks.

Its like I have done a second Dakar since coming back from Buenos Aires – visiting sponsors, promo weekends, press and TV interviews, a quick tour of Europe – Paris, Toulouse, Munich, Kitzbuel, Perpignan, Milan, Barcelona, Lisbon, Mantova, Le Touquet… and a few days in Andorra…

Apart from that everything is going well, we are in the processes of finalising the 2010 season, it will be with the same team, they’re too good!

Thanks for all your messages, keep them coming.

I am off now for a week’s holiday, to relax and play a bit of golf – and then straight after a quick visit to Japan to race in an extreme enduro.

Speak to you all again soon.

Cyril

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:50 AM   #169
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
bollocks to thecr&p about 450's

Indeed bollocks to all the cr%p about unreliable 450's, Yamaha's , Honda's have finished the Dakar with minimal maintanance, past and present. I personally know of a Honda 450x which has done the Oriental and the Dakar and only a piston change in between and finished the Dakar in top 30 position. Only oil changes along the way.

A sleeved down 690 will be way too heavy. I know a guy here in Dubai who has been offered a chance to race a (standard) 690 for free and he declined in favour of a 530.

Finally when everyone is on 450's we will see people with a conservative approach performing extremely well when other with highly strung engines fail. Yes the richer the team the more maintance can be done, but a high performance engine can die on any part of the stage, they usually dont die in the bivouac.

KTM will have 450 specials (690 like body kit, current 450 engine with oil cooler, lower comp., new frame, etc.). guess work.

PS the question about the 700cc LC4 engine, that is an engine made for the factory teams when they ran the old 660.

PS the 450 factory bikes in 2005 were not based on a 660 frame.

regards
Aussie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #170
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #171
escuchamente
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 458
Thumb

PS the question about the 700cc LC4 engine, that is an engine made for the factory teams when they ran the old 660.

Thanks
escuchamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #172
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,281
hydrogen KTM

Made it three days.. wonder what happened .. OH it was that day....
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #173
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,153
yup-that day was the death to many people's attempts
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #174
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,025
My post on the "Dakar 2010" thread... of same topic...

What does the Chile earthquake disaster mean for ASO's 2011 dakar plans??
Speculation...

Just wondering out loud; what ramifications the recent Tsunami/earthquake disaster in Chile of the last few days will have on eventual negotiations with the Chiléan government for the Dakars return (for the third year) to south America. Probably a bit crass on my part... I am sure that the Chilean authorities have far mor pressing matters on their minds right now, than a rally next january to consider... But I just saw a report from Santaigo on the news a few minutes ago, and by all accounts the devestation is catastophic, and covers the vast majority of Chile's pacific coast (the 2010 edition of Dakar spent what...? four - or five - nights in this region?).

I am sure that thsi is going to factor heavily in ASO's negotiations/decision for 2011 now...? Presumeably Argentina is still keen? What about Brazil...? Maybe the Brazillian admisistration is willing to take up the slack, if Chile (understandably) cannot be involved due to the rebuilding/re-establishment project after the disaster? By all accounts the Des Sertoes is a good calibre rally event and use the terrain, infrastructure and local know how from that event, dovetailed to the existing Argentinian "dakar" formula to produce a Dakar classic on south American soil for 2011?

For now though, it's probably more appropriate to send a thought to the millions of injured, homeless and those struggling to rescue/assist them in Chile right know... a real tradgedy...

...best luck in coping with the aftermath Chilé, my thoughts go out to all our friends there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:45 AM   #175
Linc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente
What does the Chile earthquake disaster mean for ASO's 2011 dakar plans??
Speculation...

Just wondering out loud; what ramifications the recent Tsunami/earthquake disaster in Chile of the last few days will have on eventual negotiations with the Chiléan government for the Dakars return (for the third year) to south America. Probably a bit crass on my part... I am sure that the Chilean authorities have far mor pressing matters on their minds right now, than a rally next january to consider... But I just saw a report from Santaigo on the news a few minutes ago, and by all accounts the devestation is catastophic, and covers the vast majority of Chile's pacific coast (the 2010 edition of Dakar spent what...? four - or five - nights in this region?).

I am sure that thsi is going to factor heavily in ASO's negotiations/decision for 2011 now...? Presumeably Argentina is still keen? What about Brazil...? Maybe the Brazillian admisistration is willing to take up the slack, if Chile (understandably) cannot be involved due to the rebuilding/re-establishment project after the disaster? By all accounts the Des Sertoes is a good calibre rally event and use the terrain, infrastructure and local know how from that event, dovetailed to the existing Argentinian "dakar" formula to produce a Dakar classic on south American soil for 2011?

For now though, it's probably more appropriate to send a thought to the millions of injured, homeless and those struggling to rescue/assist them in Chile right know... a real tradgedy...

...best luck in coping with the aftermath Chilé, my thoughts go out to all our friends there.
Yeah......maybe a bit crass; but a realist possition.

I thought the effected area was further south but when you see the devistation it's hard to believe it's not just everywhere.

Even more crass - riding through a disaster effected country or riding through a third world country............do we help the people who have lost everything or the people who had nothing in the first place?

In the end I would think the Chilean government would still want the Dakar, it brings international attention to their plight and maybe even a welcome distraction for it's citizens. Life must go on.

Linc screwed with this post 03-02-2010 at 03:42 AM
Linc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #176
CBVRacing
CBVRacing

Oddometer: 485
Ethics Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linc
In the end I would think the Chilean government would still want the Dakar, it brings international attention to their plight and maybe even a welcome distraction for it's citizens. Life must go on.
Should ASO wave the requested $5.5 million fee per country (i read $7m in some other articles) so that the money can go toward rebuilding people's life? and ensure that the Dakar goes through Chile in 2011 to assist with revenue generation?

Is it still ethical to request the ASO fee?

If waved for Chile, what would Argentina say?

Will ASO still want the Dakar to be held in SA without the $dols, or will it turn its back on Latin America and go back to Africa?

3 days on, there is no message regarding the earthquake on dakar.com. is this right?

...for group debate...
Join Dream Racer on Facebook
CBVRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #177
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linc
Even more crass - riding through a disaster effected country or riding through a third world country............do we help the people who have lost everything or the people who had nothing in the first place?
That's a fair point - if you added up all the money it costs to run the Dakar each year, you could donate millions to those countries... certainly the amount of money it cost me to prepare my bike and enter Heroes-Legend last year was considerably higher than the amount I raised in sponsorship for Bowel Cancer UK (my chosen charity)... but of course it's not all about the money...

Without events like the Dakar (or simply ride reports about overland travel), the vast majority of people (like you and I) are unlikely to become aware of the plights of other countries? By showing these events in the media, and generating publicity through the internet etc etc - vastly more people are now aware of these countries, and perhaps, if they feel so inclined, are able to help in their own way - financially or otherwise?

I just wish ASO would hurry up and announce the route for 2011 - I'm itching to buy a new bike!

J xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #178
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
I just wish ASO would hurry up and announce the route for 2011 - I'm itching to buy a new bike!

J xx
Entering?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #179
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,279
Aye, that's the plan...!

My intention is to do the three rounds of the NPO series this year (that is Tunis /Egypt/Maroc), then buy a new engine and use my original one as a spare for Le Dakar in January...

It's going to be an expensive year!

J xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #180
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,750
Good on ya I enjoyed your report on Hero's, look forwards to some reports on your future endeavours.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote