weird, no mention of Pedrero... ?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #1862
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
weird, no mention of Pedrero... ?
I sent him a message to see if he will make a statement about the announcement or his future.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #1863
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Can you say whether Sam's contract with HRC runs through Dakar 2014 or beyond?
Sorry Chris don't know about that one.
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #1864
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 550
Yep! the KTM press release confirms that Cyril is no longer part of their line up but.......

Is he going to the Big Red?
Or is he going green?
Is he really going to four wheels?
Or hanging up his helmet for good? (I doubt that).

MY BLOG
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #1865
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Yep! the KTM press release confirms that Cyril is no longer part of their line up but.......

Is he going to the Big Red?
Or is he going green?
Is he really going to four wheels?
Or hanging up his helmet for good? (I doubt that).
Well as it's now Red Bull KTM, it's unlikely he'll have wings
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #1866
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,714
Top-class racing with certificate

Speedbrain has been certified according to DIN ISO 9001. The company is therefore underlining its exceptional quality ambitions in the production and operation of pro and customer race motorcycles.

Stephanskirchen, 12 March 2013
Following nearly one year of preparation, Speedbrain GmbH has been certified by TÜV Süd according to DIN ISO 9001. The field of application for this certificate covers the racing team as well as the development, production and sales of road legal race motorcycles.

The Speedbrain Rally Team, which has been successfully competing in the FIM Cross Country World Championship and the Rally Dakar in the past three years, has been attested with the highest quality standards through the certificate. Speedbrain is for this reason occupying a worldwide pioneer role when it comes to quality management in racing.

Team principal Wolfgang Fischer: "The decision to establish a certified quality management is an important strategic asset within our professional and customer sports programme in the coming years."

Together with long-time partner Monster Energy the team will begin the upcoming world rally campaign on 5 April 2013 at the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge. The two regular team riders Joan Barreda and Paulo Goncalves are eagerly awaiting a double header effort, as the race in Abu Dhabi is shortly followed by the Sealine Cross Country Rally in Qatar, round two of the championship.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #1867
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Top-class racing with certificate

Speedbrain has been certified according to DIN ISO 9001. The company is therefore underlining its exceptional quality ambitions in the production and operation of pro and customer race motorcycles.

umm what does that mean? ISO9001 for a racing team?

Is it euro centric code for nanny statism. (a disease we are importing by the ship load down here in australia)

Or is it code for 'we can legally sell what we race' and the various euro govts approve?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #1868
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 615
ISO is simply a standards approval organization. In a nutshell, it just proves that they are doing what they say they are doing from an engineering, documentation and manufacturing standpoint. There are many different levels of ISO certification, depending on what business or part of your business is being inspected. ISO 9000, 9001 and 9002 are common for mechanical engineering and manufacturing operations.

Essentially, the certification ensures that the company is fully documenting their engineering, change management and manufacturing processes to a particular standard. This is important and a requirement in some cases to be able to sell your product abroad. It is also not a trivial process and when Speedbrain says they have spent the last year working on this certification they are certainly not joking. Most bigger companies will have at least one maybe more in house ISO reps/engineers specifically tasked with ensuring all relevant parts of the company are in compliance to make the annual inspection go a bit smoother. Big ups to Speedbrain for attaining the certification, it is no trivial matter.

Of course, selling your product as a "road legal" race motorbike will also be subject to local government transportation agency approval. That is, if they want to sell a Speedbrain Rally 450RR in Canada, where I live, they will need to provide examples for Transport Canada to inspect and destroy to allow for certification. (Fat chance I'll ever see one here since this is usually cost prohibitive for all but the big manufacturers and even they don't bother. I'm looking at you Yamaha and your stubborn refusal to bring your already street legal Euro WR450F here for certification...)

Canada is even worse when you get down to individual provinces, because here in British Columbia where I am, our provincial government run mandatory insurance agency has now made it virtually impossible to plate any bike that is marked as off road use only. So only a few mostly small displacement enduro bikes are available for legal on road riding. (KTM, Husaberg, but good luck finding a new 450cc bike to meet Dakar regulations... sigh)

Hope that helps!

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!

Brimstone screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 02:13 PM
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #1869
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood

"It is essential to evolve, to engage new talent and have the kind of balance and harmony essential for the smooth operation of the team in extreme circumstances like the Dakar Rally,” said Pit Beirer, Head of KTM Motorsports."
I think this part of the press release is the most telling in why Cyril is not with the KTM Factory team any more. My hunch is he and the team just do not agree on something, maybe the new bike direction? Maybe how the team is run internally, who knows. The rest of the release is normal announcement stuff.

That part above is the why they made the decision they did. Balance and Harmony. We can only infer that there was neither at this past Dakar. Maybe that is why Cyril struggled during the first half of the rally? And I use the word struggled lightly... since he was always right at the top...

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #1870
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
I think this part of the press release is the most telling in why Cyril is not with the KTM Factory team any more. My hunch is he and the team just do not agree on something, maybe the new bike direction? Maybe how the team is run internally, who knows. The rest of the release is normal announcement stuff.

That part above is the why they made the decision they did. Balance and Harmony. We can only infer that there was neither at this past Dakar. Maybe that is why Cyril struggled during the first half of the rally? And I use the word struggled lightly... since he was always right at the top...
May be it's only one reason :
money makes the world around...
Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #1871
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,949
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally View Post
May be it's only one reason :
money makes the world around...
Cyril didn't struggle, he only went as fast as necessary to survive the first half of the rally while remaining in striking distance of the lead. Do not, for one second, think anyone else in the field could have pushed CdP the way Coma could have. Some showed flashes of brilliance, but they aren't full Alien Status yet, that was proven most often when they opened the stage; they never won the stage they opened.

It's more likely that he left (got left behind?) for the money. Possibly the distinction of being the sole number one rider (as opposed to 1A,1B situation in the KTM Factory umbrella).

The typical racing pilots have a very short period in which to make say 80% of their lifetime income. I can't blame any Dakar pilot that sees he has fewer Dakar rides in front of him than behind him and chases some cash. We're not talking F1 pay where they pay by cubic meter and one season's pay is a life time of "F you" money. An extra few hundred thousand now could be the difference between retiring comfortably or being the Euro equivalent of a WalMart greeter.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #1872
escuchamente
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 458
QC with speedbrain?

Didnt Quinn Cody sign on with speedbrain for the 2013 championship season?
escuchamente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:28 AM   #1873
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
CdP already has a new contract in his pocket, I'm 100% sure. So he was in a position to try and see how much KTM would offer him to stay. Only last week team boss Pit Beirer said publicly (on speedweek.de) that "Despres is gambling high". Going public while being in negotiations is a pretty brutal step, that interview was the first indication that things wouldn't turn out well for a Cyril/KTM future.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #1874
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
CdP already has a new contract in his pocket, I'm 100% sure. So he was in a position to try and see how much KTM would offer him to stay. Only last week team boss Pit Beirer said publicly (on speedweek.de) that "Despres is gambling high". Going public while being in negotiations is a pretty brutal step, that interview was the first indication that things wouldn't turn out well for a Cyril/KTM future.
Internal team politics played a significant role in Cyrils victory this year..........not just with Ruben, but all KTM team riders including those from ZA, Polska and Chile

Team harmony is likely to have played as big a decider as $$
Old 03-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #1875
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
I guess Cyril's glad he doesn't have to do all those "funny" Red Bull PR gags anymore.

But he has to go on without Red Bull money..
Red Bull frequently sponsors individuals not just the team.......part of Cyrils attraction to another team will be the Wings he brings with him