Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 03:08 AM   #2386
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
I knew we shouldn't discount the 'heritage' element in all of this - looks like Yamaha are totally milking that too - great video!

And Cyril is an animal on that new bike! - he rides it like a BMX! - it's going to be a revelation compared to the KTM 'old school' RFR...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:15 AM   #2387
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
...I have no recollection of what the status of Pedrero & Faria is
We will soon have a good hint, they will both compete in Sardinia in a couple days...
Quote:
...Cyril's engine swap last year...
Dabrowski! Do you think Despres could ask for him as a water carrier? Last time he did a good job...
Old 05-30-2013, 03:18 AM   #2388
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Hi F5'rs,

The video is nice, Peterhansel welcoming the new heir. Good PR job. Is Yamaha France expected to release more details on their team today?

Team dynamics are def. going to be interesting on the 2014 Dakar.

Honda/Speedbrain deal press conf is scheduled for this afternoon or is it tomorrow?
HRC conference, should be this morning too... more info here

http://www.worldrallyraid.com/blog/2...-ufficialmente
about Yamaha deal, Pain and Metge in too
Gian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:21 AM   #2389
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

A couple of other nice photos via TBM magazine here in the UK...

http://trailbikemag.com/2013/05/brea...is-the-colour/

Jx
Old 05-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #2390
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Verhoeven's reponse;

Quote:
Frans Verhoeven: ,,Het is goed voor het team en Yamaha dat Cyril aansluit. Wij zijn er blij mee, daar worden we als team alleen maar sterker van. Cyril was afgelopen Dakar al onder de indruk van de betrouwbaarheid onze motor. Dit voorjaar zijn er weer een hoop verbeteringen doorgevoerd, de motor staat al helemaal op punt. Voor de Dakar wisten we al wat er nog verbeterd kon worden, maar dat is toen niet gedaan omdat het te kort voor de Dakar was. Nu hebben we nog volop tijd om de motor verder te ontwikkelen en te testen. Tijdens de Dakar zullen we als team bepalen wat de beste strategie is, ik kan 100% voor mijn eigen ding gaan. Het verloop van de race zal uitmaken wie er het beste voor staat, en wie er eventueel extra steun krijgt. ''

Googlified;

Quote:
Frans Verhoeven: It's good for the team and Yamaha that fits Cyril. We are happy because we are as a team only stronger. Cyril was past Dakar already impressed with the reliability our engine. This spring there are again a lot of improvements, the engine is already in development. For the Dakar we already knew what could be improved but that there had not been issued because it was too short for the Dakar. Now we have plenty of time to develop the engine further and test. During the Dakar as a team, we will determine the best strategy, I can 100% go for my own thing. The course of the race will decide who is best for the state, and who may be given additional support. ''
Old 05-30-2013, 03:37 AM   #2391
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
HRC conference, should be this morning too... more info here

http://www.worldrallyraid.com/blog/2...-ufficialmente
about Yamaha deal, Pain and Metge in too
Grazie mille, Gian.

According to them Michael Metge (first Dakar last year, finished 18'th) will be Cyril Despres's watercarrier

Quote:
Capitanata da Cyril Despres la squadra conterà anche su Mickael Metge, portatore d'acqua del grande campione, e su Olivier Pain

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:52 AM   #2392
Gian
dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
A couple of other nice photos via TBM magazine here in the UK...

http://trailbikemag.com/2013/05/brea...is-the-colour/

Jx
C & P

Old 05-30-2013, 03:53 AM   #2393
BRUNO BOTELHO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Let's wait and see if in next Dakar Yamaha can keep up with cyril's performance.
They will have to work very hard

www.motoazores.com
BRUNO BOTELHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:11 AM   #2394
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Cyril via FB:

Cyril Despres

"It is clear that the announcement of my signing with Yamaha Motor France is so far one of the most important stages of my career and I am very excited at the idea of thinking about the challenges and the opportunities offered to me. Talking with 'the boss' Eric de Seynes and his team, I quickly realized that we are all on the same wavelength and that together we can do lots of great things. Before speaking with them I did not how the culture of the Rally Raid in general and that of the Dakar in particular were grounded in the Yamaha DNA - I thought be passionate about this sport, but his enthusiasm to almost overshadowed mine! Their previous associations with the size of Cyril Neveu and Stéphane Peterhansel drivers have left an imprint and it is obvious that we all begin this relationship with a common goal, renew the successes and challenges of my predecessors with a victory on the Dakar 2014.

Everything is so recent that in fact I couldn't spend too much time riding the YZF450 I'll use on the rally Dos sertões (Brazil), the Inca Desafio (Peru) and finally on the Dakar 2014 Argentina-Bolivia-Chile, nevertheless I can assure you that it obviously has a lot of potential. For the preparation of these races we will have a very busy for testing job and we will certainly be very busy during the months that precedent the next Dakar. So far I've always worked with teams of various nationalities, I believe that in 2010 a total of nine people in my team, seven were of different nationalities! Now we are 'all the francophones' and even though I always embraced different cultures and I worked for an English and a Spanish quite fluid, it will be interesting to see what impact the fact in my tongue, my colleagues and the technical team explain what I want exactly for development and the development of the bike. From my point of view this can only play in my favor. At the highest level of all sports these are the little details that make the difference...

To save time in the countdown of the Dakar, tonight I'm off in Sardinia to participate in my favorite race of the season - the Sardegna Rally Race. It is a little rushed so obviously my goal is lower, but I think at least the experience bring me a better understanding of the YZF450 enduro format and more will allow me to ride again after several months without competition. After this brief period of 'holiday' has the work. I look forward already to start! »

Strange - he won't contest the Rally Maroc
Old 05-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #2395
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Strange - he won't contest the Rally Maroc
I think the problem with the Maroc is that while it is traditionally the last 'big' race before Dakar - so a great opportunity to shake down the team structure and bikes (particularly for the European teams with easy access to North Africa) - it no longer is a world championship event...

Furthermore, I think perhaps Honda proved last year that actual testing in the same environment as the Dakar offers a better understanding of how the bikes will perform in South American conditions - altitude/temperture, softness of sand etc.

We should also not discount the fact that the Dakar series events are likely to offer a higher level of publicity than the Maroc achieves - the South American market is huge, and with Peru not part of the Dakar route this year, the supporters there are going to be especially hungry for world class racing - can't hurt Yamaha's image to have a serious presence there?

And I guess ultimately, if the team are already committed to the Desafio Inca (3-6th October), it doesn't leave much time to get everything back to Europe and across to Morocco for the 13-19th?

Jx
Old 05-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #2396
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Looks like they're doing their videos on exactly the same roads in southern France where KTM used to do theirs.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #2397
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
Has to be 4 wheels or Yamaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
Dont you hate it when you are right!!
cough...

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #2398
todd5774
Hillbilly

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Gave me goosebumps watching that, fantastic to see the old yze850 and the modern 450 riding side by side..

And fantastic marketing by Yamaha France, wonder if Mr Dakar got tempted to go back to 2 wheels after that photoshoot?!
todd5774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #2399
Gian
dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd5774 View Post
Gave me goosebumps watching that, fantastic to see the old yze850 and the modern 450 riding side by side..

And fantastic marketing by Yamaha France, wonder if Mr Dakar got tempted to go back to 2 wheels after that photoshoot?!
Peterhansel already did it (but just for fun) at the Sardinia Rally last 2 years and this year at the italian Baja. He is still damn fast (and his girlfriend Andrea Mayer too)
Old 05-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #2400
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,976
blue socks it is

good luck Mr. Depres, I hope you can really change this effort around.
I wonder how much support the Tuning forks folks form the island will be providing.
I was secretly hoping for a proper factory effort to renew Yamaha glory days but this seems well short of that.

The challenge is grand, I only wish that this team will really be able to put up a fight.
And none of that frist year teething business... this is not a brand new bike.

underwhelmed as doyle said
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is online now   Reply With Quote