Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #271
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
Isn't the Hero's a recreational "experience a rally" non race event where the Africa race is a full blown all out timed race?
Seems like two very different types of events. Of course I have not done either event this is just based on interwebknowlege :)
The main difference between Heroes-Legend and most other Rallys is that is uses a 'regularity' system of timing/scoring, rather than the first over the line/fastest one is the winner.

I've explained it in more detail in the dedicated thread/s, but put simply - Heroes was originally designed to allow different classifications of vehicles to compete, including classic 'Dakar' bikes such as early GSs, XTs etc. They used the regularity system to create a handicap, so that slower vehicles/riders were not penalized.

Also, there are 'issues' with running pure speed events over public (ie. non closed) roads/pistes/stages - especially getting insurance. I'm not sure how the Tuareg and events like the Africa Race get away with it, and I won't ask here... Obviously even events like the Dakar and other FIM events which do have 'closed' special stages, are still vulnerable to spectators or members of the public being hurt or killed...

But don't think for a moment the Heroes-Legend isn't competative. Sure there is a Bivouac-Bivouac option which follows the assistance route, but if you are entered in a competitive class, it is every bit as tough as any other rally. You have target times/speeds for the stage, cut-off times, penalties for missing waypoints, and not least the physical endurance of riding thousands of competitive kilometres which can break you or your bike at any time - the roadbook is based on previous year's Dakar stages, and the organisation (not least Anne Marie Gerandi) have been involved with the original African Dakar for years...

Just ask any of the riders who crashed and burned last year how tough it is or it isn't!

J xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #272
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,590
Not disputing it as being tough (I read yours and Grimoys RR's) and in fact its one of a few I am considering in a couple of years (need to save cash and get fit). But is it comparable to a flat out race.....from the RR's it seems as if the Hero's skirts the bulk of the dune days the FIM events ran....this is what kind of makes it appealling to someone like me who has very little sand experience but wants to challenge himself with a realalistic chance of finishing. Just saying...perhaps I am way off?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #273
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
Not disputing it as being tough (I read yours and Grimoys RR's) and in fact its one of a few I am considering in a couple of years (need to save cash and get fit). But is it comparable to a flat out race.....from the RR's it seems as if the Hero's skirts the bulk of the dune days the FIM events ran....this is what kind of makes it appealling to someone like me who has very little sand experience but wants to challenge himself with a realalistic chance of finishing. Just saying...perhaps I am way off?
You're not way off at all Deadly, but you are confusing racing and the terrain - it doesn't matter what speed you are going (or decide to go at), if the sand is soft, you will crash/get stuck!

This year there were three days with dunes - the longest single stage about 120kms as I recall, then a liaison, then another 100kms of rocky/sandy scrub terrain...

Where the Heroes' roadbook [has to] differ from the original Dakar route is that northern Mauritania is now essentially out of bounds as all those boarders are now closed (which in past years I understand ASO managed to open up just for the Dakar).

The only crossing open now is from Western Sahara into Mauritania at Nouadhibou on the Atlantic coast. As such, last year's Heroes route had stages in Western Sahara to the boarder, then cut back inland (through small dunes) towards Atar, then picked up the Dakar stages lower down towards the Senegalese boarder (including one particular tough stage that was part of the 2006 Dakar that Patsy and Zippy finally finished).

However, those 'Big Sand' days in the Dakar (for example where Matt Hall had all that trouble in Race to Dakar) tended to be in the northern territories of Mauritania, and are unrealistic to get to in a two week time frame now, since yo have to go via Nouadhibou.

I'd say there is a good balance of sand - enough to make you work, but not so much as it kills you! The first of the dune days did skirt around the larger dunes (similar to those you find at Erg Chebbi for example) to start off with, which may or may not have been due to the roadbook being drawn up a few years ago, and the sands moving with time. Bit it did cross some big patches of sand - this photo was taken that day:

However, the second dune day is serious - a sand funnel steep climb up a canyon, followed by three fields of very soft sand:

However, perhaps the hardest day was when the roadbook followed through very small sandy dunes, covered in camel grass and other foliage - there was no real way to ride other than to follow the piste which was very rutted and soft - on a bike it was a nightmare. A number of us started to ride alongside this 'sand river', but it was hard and very slow going dodging round the tufts of camel grass the whole time.

The hardest part about the sand stages on Heroes (and the Dakar before) is that the soft tough stuff happens over halfway through the event, when you are already tired and suffering - so making mistakes is even more common.

I'd say if you were fit, and had plenty of off-road riding experience, you could enter Heroes-Legend straight off - the nice thing about this event is it's not essential to have previous FIM rally experience or a [very expensive!] licence... and the sand thing you'll just have to deal with!

However, it might be a good idea to do something like the Tuareg Rally first, which features plenty of sand (some might say too much!) to gain experience, and to see where you might improve before spending what is a considerable amount of money don't forget...

But if you can, do it - you won't regret it!

Jenny xx
Old 03-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #274
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
El Dakaro Lives!

I got this message today from MarathonRally.com

Didn't see it posted anywhere on this thread yet. If so...sorry for the repeat...

Quote:
Subject: Dakar Rally 2011: Rally will run again in "Exil" Argentina and Chile in 2011

After two editions in South America, the organisers of the Dakar are pleased to announce that the world’s leading rally-raid will take place there again in 2011. The excellent relations built up with the two countries, the vital assets in sporting terms, as well as the swell of enthusiasm seen amongst spectators last January, have led the Dakar team to propose a third instalment in Argentina and Chile for the 2011 edition, which will take place from 1st to 16th January.

For Enrique Meyer, the Argentine Secretary of State for Tourism, "being able to count on the Dakar again is a dream come true for Argentina. For the last two years, in addition to the sporting aspect, we have displayed to the whole wide world (more than 190 countries) our landscapes and people. We are very proud to welcome the Dakar again and have worked very hard to be able to do so."

Furthermore, the new Minister for Sports in Chile, Ruiz Tagle, explains, "It is an honour for Chile to be confirmed as a co-host of the Dakar 2011. We are convinced that this veritable international festival of sport is a perfect way of showing the unique sites of our country to the rest of the world. We would like to underline the importance of this event at a time when our country is suffering the consequences of a devastating earthquake. This Dakar will help us look toward the future and demonstrate that Chile is capable of overcoming such misfortune."

For the coming years, the rally organisers are continuing to work on several projects, in particular the possibility of a return to the African continent.
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #275
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,364
Cool2 voilá...

Important dates for organisation of the rally

15th May 2010: Enrolment for the rally opens on dakar.com
End of November 2010: Vehicles from Europe will board at Le Havre for the trans-Atlantic crossing
30th and 31st December 2010: Scrutineering in Buenos Aires
1st January 2011: Briefing, starting ceremony and departure to the first bivouac
2nd to 15th January 2011: Dakar Rally 2011 Argentina-Chile
16th January 2011: Finishing ceremony in Buenos Aires

The detailed route and sporting news will be unveiled at a press conference in Paris on 29th April.

2010/03/23 | 15:34 CET | ARTICLE: MR/HS/POUCAN

MarathonRally.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #276
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Yes, the 2011 Dakar website is up and running!

http://www.dakar.com/indexus.html

I suppose these means I'd better do some exercise...

J xx
Old 03-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #277
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)

J xx

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #278
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Jenny,

I know that you were using the Touratech roadbook holder and then switched to the MD.... Have you looked at the Free 2 Ride roadbook holders? I just got this beauty in the mail:

Looking forward to putting it to use very soon...

http://www.f2r.pt/epages/f2r.sf/en_G...ucts/RB730-001

Old 03-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #279
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Interesting...at about 1/2 the price of the MD....hope it works out.

Is it gear or "rubber band" driven?

I can't say I was overly impressed with my Touratech unit.
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #280
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaler
Interesting...at about 1/2 the price of the MD....hope it works out.

Is it gear or "rubber band" driven?

I can't say I was overly impressed with my Touratech unit.

It is "rubber band" driven (much stronger than rubber bands, though. ) It's almost a hybrid of the designs, with the motor mounted inside the box. Very nice and very very smooth. I am super impressed with the build quality.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #281
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Here's a little better pic of the drive mechanism...

Built in Lisboa, Portugal. They ought to know a little something.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #282
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,218
so I wonder whats going on with Cyril not running the up coming FIM rally??

anyone?
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #283
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
so I wonder whats going on with Cyril not running the up coming FIM rally??
anyone?
Pure speculation on my part, but I think he was looking at going with the Husa-BMW crowd, Coma got the KTM development manager position and I think he has pushed Despres out after the tyre spat in Chile ealier this year. Perhaps BMW are a little slow on the uptake, and left Despres high and dry?
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #284
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)

J xx

Uh, oh, PackMule will need to get a sticky up with the new Dakar 2011 thread 9 months ahead of it!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #285
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
Uh, oh, PackMule will need to get a sticky up with the new Dakar 2011 thread 9 months ahead of it!

Great idea!