Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #16
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
I think it was kinigarder that said they were 730's ..
Basically the rule limits the bikes to a single cylinder for anything over 450cc, but technically the rules don't state an upper limit. In years past that limit for bikes was 700cc, but that is not in the regs any longer, hence the larger capacity to try to claw back any performance lost to the restrictor.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:17 AM   #17
dirt rider X
tropical traveller

Oddometer: 399
my guess would be Coma walking though I reckon he's the better rider and navigator he perhaps doesnt have the "political" connections?
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again;
dirt rider X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:33 AM   #18
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Coma ,.. Despres, ... Coma, .... Despres

Tough call, I reckon Coma is the quicker smoother rally rider, Cyril is the allrounder extreme guy, without a doubt they are both the fastest guys on rally bikes.

Before to answer who will do what it is better to have a look at the options.

Who is willing to pay a premium for a victory, only those who need it for marketing value which can be used to retain market share or to force growth. The Japanese are excluded as they currently see neither market share in dirt bikes increasing substantially due efforts in rally raid and a small share of thier global market is dirtbikes.

KTM, will only be happy with a win next year, anything else will be seen as a failure of thier 450 efforts. I would expect a 450 based on the 690 platform, lighter frame etc.

Sherco
Husqvarna
BMW
Aprillia
Husaberg
Gas Gas

more to follow, just short of time.
Aussie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:34 AM   #19
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,614
for the speculation category; does anyone KNOW when their contracts are up (with KTM)? IF and when they are... do they run out to the end of the calender year... or after the Dakar (as this thread seems to indicate?)? One would have thought that Coma and Despres would have their race program for 2010 (FIM rallies and other events) already squared away?!

or is the question concerning these two, referring to the end of the year and Dakar 2011? It's just that the "where now?" part of the title gives the impression that on monday, these two were/are looking for a job... and I'm not entirely sure that is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:30 AM   #20
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
There is a rumor floating around that Despres is headed back to BMW.
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #21
onebadhp2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Having 450s next year will provide many more options for these guys...I hope we get more American riders...How about Johnny Campbell's baja team coming over?
onebadhp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #22
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaler
There is a rumor floating around that Despres is headed back to BMW.

No more BMW G 450 X next year ( project end 2010 ). May be they work together with Husqvarna, it is announced for the enduro WM 2010.
BMW - Husqvarna Motorsport Team.

Frans Verhoeven crashed 3 engines this year, the BMW engine is not made for long distance rallys !!!
italrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #23
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally
No more BMW G 450 X next year ( project end 2010 ). May be they work together with Husqvarna, it is announced for the enduro WM 2010.

Frans Verhoeven crashed 3 engines this year, the BMW engine is not made for long distance rallys !!!
not so in 2009 Dakar all 3 BMW 450's lasted well with no mechanical failure, 1 as unspported marathon class, also this year others made it with no issues, Franz's bike was not the only G450X here

to me is seems a package with a lot of potential, it looks a very light and agile rallye bike
Old 01-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #24
Nicolasleon
Gnarly F5er

Oddometer: 225
I've heard the rummor that BMW is after both Coma and Despres. It 'll be interesting to see them partners after this year's encounters!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #25
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,586
Quote:

Not true, only one engine failed.

Engine 1 was replaced due to the pivot bolt seized.
Engine 2 was replaced on rest day just to be on the safe side.
Engine 3 was the one that blew.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #26
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
In previous editions, did any of the top riders use the rfs ktm platform or is/was it only a budget/privateer solution? how about this year, were any of the ktms entered 450s?

It was brought up in the dakar thread that the drz would make a great econo-entry. It seems that the rfs is already a proven dakar entity and cheap to boot, these days.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #27
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
to continue the speculation.

To continue the speculation side.

Cyril and Marc both have enormous value for KTM , both in the Dakar and Rally series and Cyril also in the extreme enduro side. I would guess that Cyril would have a higher marketing value due to exposure in the extreme side and Marc a high value in the "not to under estimate Spanish motorbike minded market".

For next years Dakar, anything less than a win for KTM (with 450's) would be a failure, to ensure the win you need the worlds best riders. So they will want to hold on to them both.

I guess the only companies which can pose a potential threat are :

BMW has a desire to get into other markets than their current adventure riding big bikes. Hence the 450X development and the Husqvarna takeover. With the shelving of the 450X project, the enduro emphasis on Husqvarna a speculative possibilty could be a Husqvarna rally project. Imagine Cyril on a Husky on the extreme enduro's (good PR), a fully backed rally team. It just might bring Husky back into the scene full on. Mind you it would only be worth the investment because of the current small market share which could be grown like KTM.

Sherco ? I am not sure how much coin they can put into the project, still early days I guess.

Husaberg : Part of KTM.

Gas Gas : Not to be under estimated, Spanish backing could be enormous, Repsol, Coma, who nows.

Aprillia : Competetive package, proven, racing background, a bike which has been developed , not a huge success in the enduro scene but huge potential as a rally platform.

I hope I am wrong but I dont see the Japanese getting into the rally scene with factory backing. Yamaha Motor France has a racing division, as does Kawasaki in France. Of the two only Yamaha has put semi serious efforts into the Dakar in recent years, but once again they are not hugely interested in the enduro scene or rally raid FIM series.

Speculation all around, will keep my ears open at this years DC in Abu Dhabi.
Aussie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:05 AM   #28
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet
In previous editions, did any of the top riders use the rfs ktm platform or is/was it only a budget/privateer solution? how about this year, were any of the ktms entered 450s?

It was brought up in the dakar thread that the drz would make a great econo-entry. It seems that the rfs is already a proven dakar entity and cheap to boot, these days.
If they were riding a KTM machine, pretty much all of the top riders were on 690's, not RFS platforms. Same goes for last year although the 660 Rallye was much more prevalent last year than it was this year.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #29
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Choose your platform.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #30
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
This is news too me. What project? The racing of, or the G450X model itself? And can you site your source of either?
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote