Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #3166
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I wonder if people don't get to hear the roar and scream of the engines in a race, will they lose interest?
Not likely. Have you heard the sound that comes from the IOM TT MotoCzysz or Zero at full boogie? It's a combination of the speeder bike chase and pod racing scenes from Star Wars. It makes the blatt of a 450 ICE thumper feel nostalgic as an old steam train whistle in comparison.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #3167
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,025
:
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #3168
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,741
Oh the times they are a changin'...

Yes in future, trackside rallye officianodos will no doubt engage in conversations like this one;

"Wait... look there on the horizon... is that a whisp of dust...? Yeah, I Think it's the leaders... the ASO ultralite is following above them..."

Five minutes later (looking through binoculars); "Yeah... it's Sunderland allright... followed by one of the solar powered Speedbrain bikes... they're about 600 m off to the side of the waddi..."

As the bikes approach 100 meters away almost stealthily: "Wow! Just listen to the rattle of that little 428 DID chain will you... it's made the class soooo much more competitive since they introduced the new limited AC motor regulations... but I do miss the solid clunk of those old 520 o-rings"...

"What ees all 'zis f5uss about...?"
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #3169
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
Well, how about the 950SE, the 9x0Adv ( both in the range of 220kg fully fuelled) and the Rally950 (240Kgs ? when fully fuelled) ? Did you feel that the TDBR 950SE's PDS shock did'nt cut it (in terms of handling the weight) ?
No doubt, the SE's shock is a sad parts bin special that struggles at the best of times, the ADV shock is a better component but still overheats and underperforms relative to hard off road use.

Our TDBR shock was lovingly revalved by superplush, and worked as well as we could make it, but we had to ride around it a lot during the race. We compromised any attempt at bottoming control in whoops to get a great feel elsewhere, but that bike is (I still ride it!) very unforgiving if you hit something big too fast.

My factory 690 was a revelation in this regard- 100lbs less weight + better suspension components + linkage meant a total mental recalibration for what was possible. It was intoxicating and was surely going to lead to tears eventually, which is one of the reasons I let it go.

I've never ridden the factory 950 (duh) but I imagine they did everything they could to make it work... and obviously got pretty close given the bike's record... but the lack of mechanical advantage from a linkage made it a harder problem to solve than the 660/690/450 that are all linkage.

FWIW, I prefer the feel of a PDS bike on the trail, I love the simplicity, but big fuel loads combined with high speeds and a need for plushness and bottoming control is a recipe that is better filled by a linkage.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #3170
neduro
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
The current 5speed can be made into a 6speed. It requires splitting the cases.
Only with a wide ratio 6 spd, through, right? Is there a close ratio 6 speed option? Or can you splice in whatever the next most appropriate gear from the W box is on top of the XCF box? Have not looked at the fiche to develop a guess...

With tall final drive for rally, I find I really like the XCF gearbox vs. what I had in the XCW on Dakar. On the W, 1st was essentially throwaway, 6th was too tall in soft stuff, and you found yourself a bit between gears in the middle.

On the XCF, they all matter, it's much nicer to race, but I wish there was an "overdrive" 6th that let the motor calm down a little on Liaison.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #3171
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
"Wow! Just listen to the rattle of that little 428 DID chain will you...

Now that's funny.
Balkan Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #3172
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Why bother?
Because that's how change happens. Underwhelming performance is almost always a characteristic of out of the box technology. This bike isn't the Model S of rally bikes....its much closer in analogy to the EV1.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #3173
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Only with a wide ratio 6 spd, through, right? Is there a close ratio 6 speed option? Or can you splice in whatever the next most appropriate gear from the W box is on top of the XCF box? Have not looked at the fiche to develop a guess...

With tall final drive for rally, I find I really like the XCF gearbox vs. what I had in the XCW on Dakar. On the W, 1st was essentially throwaway, 6th was too tall in soft stuff, and you found yourself a bit between gears in the middle.

On the XCF, they all matter, it's much nicer to race, but I wish there was an "overdrive" 6th that let the motor calm down a little on Liaison.
My understanding is that it's the xcf's 1-5 and the W's 6th, the CS's are the same in both trannies. I haven't done one yet, so I could be wrong.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #3174
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Isnt the 5 speed used because it allows for wider cogs (lack of better word). The wider the teeth the stronger the cog and less wear.???
Old 11-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #3175
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
Isnt the 5 speed used because it allows for wider cogs (lack of better word). The wider the teeth the stronger the cog and less wear.???
for the RR rally's that was what I was lead to believe, the aim was a stronger gearbox
Old 11-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #3176
neduro
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
The RR motor, and my 505, are based on the SXF motor that was originally sold as a 4 speed since you don't need more speeds on an MX track. Wider gears could obviously be stronger, but in this case, I think it was resistance to building new cases.

With that said, it works really well with high final drive. In technical stuff you have to be really aggressive because 1st is very tall, but after that, you're golden and when you backshift for a corner, you're right where you want to be.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #3177
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Off to the Milan bike show next week - expect to see the new KTM 450 Rally and possibly also the Honda ...................

Who wants loads of pictures ?

Sorry to be a bit slow but I came back to a load of stuff at work ..........

But here we go

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #3178
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 678

WTF?
On a Rallybike?
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #3179
rallye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
anyone notice the steering damper the other way round?
rallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #3180
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallye View Post
anyone notice the steering damper the other way round?
Reverse mount is used with under bar applications on a few bikes. My Huskies are reverse mount.

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote