Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #3376
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,559
Did GasGas take the high road? Were they given the opportunity to say no...we're they paid by KTM? high road....or had no choice but to smile between clinched teeth...

Losing Jordi and Ms S to the competition and non-union left with who...man they must be passed right off as they have a significant amount of money invested and now have little hope of even being competitive...

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #3377
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Did GasGas take the high road? Were they given the opportunity to say no...we're they paid by KTM? high road....or had no choice but to smile between clinched teeth...

Losing Jordi and Ms S to the competition and non-union left with who...man they must be passed right off as they have a significant amount of money invested and now have little hope of even being competitive...
I think they did. They could have worded that presser much differently but I suppose in the end, they realize the realities of the industry and understand that these things happen.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #3378
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 359
They have probably already found someone. Otherwise they would have something in HERE...
Old 11-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #3379
nicogc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
My business partner was just at EICMA and at one of our brand meetings the representative mentioned that Gas Gas was broke. No way of confirming then, but here in Peru they tried to make an entrance a few months ago and then dissapeared. And now they loose 2 great riders for Dakar. Makes me think it might be true......

Enviado desde mi GT-I9500 mediante Tapatalk
nicogc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #3380
nicogc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
It would be a nice story if Gilber got the Gas Gas ride

Enviado desde mi GT-I9500 mediante Tapatalk
nicogc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #3381
bitwrench
ADV SUMO

Oddometer: 194
Really?

Take a look at any motorsport, from F1 to Nascar. The realities are drivers are coaxed to other teams all the time. Money, better seats..the opportunity to have a legit chance at a title. For the offroad folks, careers can end in the blink of an eye, as even relatively minor injures can be a career ender. While the gasgas team was developing nicley, the KTM crew already have there shiite dialed tight. Best of luck to him...grab it and run with it.
bitwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #3382
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 153
Ever Energetic...."The Gordini"

Our man in Paris.....
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #3383
rallye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado View Post
1200 HP SUV ,isn't that just what we all need ? to tow the bike trailer of course!!
rallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #3384
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
Italian journalist Elisabetta Caracciolo writes on her blog that Viladoms will be the water carrier for Coma
http://www.worldrallyraid.com/blog/2...-ufficiale-ktm
All very strange, I believe it recognises that it wasn't the plan to have one and that JV is a friend of MC, but I can't see why JV would effectively leave a #1 seat on a bike that he has proven this year for a # 2 one when he can't compete for the win?

Ok he could do a "Faria" and come second, or may just have a more tested and reliable machine on which to finish, but has he written himself off as a potential winner before the start, is he saying that the GasAss bike isn't really up to it - or was it just down to$$$$$

In whatever event if he is to be an official water carrier for MC then KTM have changed minds and strategy and what will Lopez now think and do, or the others - do KTM care even?

If this is the case then KC's absence may have forced the hand, as the orange eggs were perhaps slipping into a single basket, although Lopez may not have seen it that way and in reality KC may have struggled on navigation for the whole 2 weeks to be in true contention for 1st (this Dakar)?

Whatever the reasoning I think without errors, breakdowns or serious time losses that KTM still have only one egg and one basket - but a big basket and a f5u**ing big egg

A Dakar without errors, breakdowns or serious time losses -

Hmmmm - some info in the bivy thread that could be the answer also? A shortage of rations, a la Bordoni?

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 11-28-2013 at 04:38 AM Reason: shifted to the Bivouac--- seemed to fit the JV discussion here well
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #3385
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitwrench View Post
Take a look at any motorsport, from F1 to Nascar. The realities are drivers are coaxed to other teams all the time. Money, better seats..the opportunity to have a legit chance at a title. For the offroad folks, careers can end in the blink of an eye, as even relatively minor injures can be a career ender. While the gasgas team was developing nicley, the KTM crew already have there shiite dialed tight. Best of luck to him...grab it and run with it.
Just look at Nasser A also, from buggy in which he and others have spent considerable $$$$$ to Mini X raid - from Red Bull to Monster, less that 2 weeks after a major Red Bull promo - man they must be pissed!!
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #3386
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Just look at Nasser A also, from buggy in which he and others have spent considerable $$$$$ to Mini X raid - from Red Bull to Monster, less that 2 weeks after a major Red Bull promo - man they must be pissed!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitwrench View Post

Just because something happens all of the time doesn't make the behavior any more acceptable. I'm sure the corporate guys know what they are getting into, but I'm certain they don't think their "spokesman" is going to jump ship mid sail. I don't care how much money is being thrown around, if you've given someone your word you should stick by it. Unless there's already an understanding between the parties involved that the agreement stands only until something better comes along……I just can't see these companies entering into business relationships where the contract is that wide open.

Coma has been with Karcher (pressure washers) a long time and Laia Sanz has been with KH7 (cleaning products) for an equally long time. More money has probably been waived in front of these two riders by other potential suitors but I have a feeling that there is a sense of loyalty to a sponsor that has been with you for so long (i.e. when you weren't yet famous).

True, Sainz went to Honda from Gas Gas, but that was very early in the season and she used to ride the HRC Montessa 4T for a long time before her brief stent on GG. She didn't have a bike and/or support equipment on a boat to South America and then flip Gas Gas the bird while she jumped on a different bike. In my opinion, for what little that is worth in the land of internet forums, what Villadoms did was classless. I also don't see how a factory ride to support Coma as water carrier is going to put a life jacket on his career….with this move, KTM is showing that they're feeling the pressure that HRC is bringing to the mix.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:19 AM   #3387
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
with this move, KTM is showing that they're feeling the pressure that HRC is bringing to the mix.
This may be true.
For anybody this would be a big opportunity. There is a reason they are elite riders and this is one of them. Always try to have the best equipment out there.
I don't think loyal means something to pro riders, and I don't think it should. Time flies and spend your time with the wrong teams, and you are screwed big time.
KTM wants to win. If (a big IF, but still...) JV is in front of Coma, and HRC is leading the pack, I am sure KTM will unleash JV without making a ''Faria'' . The point for KTM is to win. As KTM. I don't think they do mind who gets the trophy as long he rides a factory KTM. JV has very good navigational skills, he is fast, I think he will do good.

It is far more complex than ''stick to you word'' . For example, if I was in that position, and refuse to take the seat in the KTM, KTM would never try to take me to their team. Never again. Especially if they loose the Dakar crown. Now, the choice for me would be, ''who would I prefer to be ''enemies'' with? KTM or GasGas? '' I think the answer is obvious. KTM has the logistics, the package, a new, very competitive bike. The company will be around for the many years to come. GG may be in a couple of years decide to withdraw Dakar with financial things not going so well... Who knows...

But it is difficult to see it from their (from the elite rider's I mean) point of view... Tough, but it happens all the time.

D.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #3388
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Well said Dimitri! You would have to be very sure of yourself to pass up a factory ktm ride.
michael1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:36 AM   #3389
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,052
There is bound to be a lot of factors that helped his decision along that we know nothing about.

I don't know about you guys but I'm not going to crucify someone just cause I read some stuff on the internet.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #3390
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
I don't know about you guys but I'm not going to crucify someone just cause I read some stuff on the internet.
+1