Oddometer: 43,645
Very interesting.

Where did you find that?

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #392
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,716
Although there is brief mention of electric bikes, there is no mention of FIM - only FIA. No bikes? Or AMA only so no internationals unless running under AMA licence?

Also, I thought the "Dakar", in the context of Rallyes, is Trademarked by the ASO so I can see them running into trouble billing it as the "Dakar Rally Mexico". "Rally of Cortez" would be okay but a three day Rallye, restricted to "old cars" and previous "legends" doesn't make a "Dakar" I'm sorry. Would be super cool to see a multiday navigational Rallye getting real close to the US though .
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #393
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
2012 fia/norra rally cortez mexicali - mexicali
Returning to the Mexican 1000, Elisha said Roger Norman, Larry Roeseller dumbbell and Mike Post, who always runs the Riviera Racing Trophy

Mark Post? ....and why is Roeseller a dumdbell? I must have missed something.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #394
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1
Although there is brief mention of electric bikes, there is no mention of FIM - only FIA. No bikes? Or AMA only so no internationals unless running under AMA licence?

Also, I thought the "Dakar", in the context of Rallyes, is Trademarked by the ASO so I can see them running into trouble billing it as the "Dakar Rally Mexico". "Rally of Cortez" would be okay but a three day Rallye, restricted to "old cars" and previous "legends" doesn't make a "Dakar" I'm sorry. Would be super cool to see a multiday navigational Rallye getting real close to the US though .

It does say one week...

"a preview of what will be the Rally of Cortez in 2012, intended as the Dakar Rally Mexico, lasting one week,"

I'll believe it when I see something official, but this is interesting.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #395
PackMule OP
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Real test for me will be whether it's a true navigational rally or a "Baja" style.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #396
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Real test for me will be whether it's a true navigational rally or a "Baja" style.

The NORRA Mexican 1000 was more "Dakar-style" with roadbook nav. and specials/liasons, if that was any indication.

"On the Mexican 1000, antecedent and exploratory field so as to prepare the 2012 Rally of Cortez"

Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #397
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,266
sounds fun and closer to home than many rallies
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #398
PackMule OP
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
The NORRA Mexican 1000 was more "Dakar-style" with roadbook nav. and specials/liasons, if that was any indication.

"On the Mexican 1000, antecedent and exploratory field so as to prepare the 2012 Rally of Cortez"

Interesting! They've got the 3 days' roadbooks posted on the site, if anyone's interested. http://www.norra.com/events.php

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:48 AM   #399
fetid_swamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Interesting! They've got the 3 days' roadbooks posted on the site, if anyone's interested. http://www.norra.com/events.php
and they have links for the gps track file.
i converted the garmin one to kml so you can see it in detail in google earth.

here: http://www.filefactory.com/file/b178...xican1000b.kml

hope it works - first time using a file sharing site, is there any better ones to use?
fetid_swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:56 AM   #400
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian
This is completely new to me, an Italian rally driver told me today he hope to join a new Paris Dakar "Classic", managed by Auriol, which should leave from Paris at the beginning of 2011.... any clue? Can't find anything on the web !
maybe is this one, even I don't think Auriol is involved:

http://intercontinentalrally.com/ind...=en&odkaz=home
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:02 AM   #401
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,266
we looked at that rally and bailed as soon as we discovered you have to schlep all your own gear yourself or team up with another team. more logistics than we wanted
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:24 AM   #402
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
we looked at that rally and bailed as soon as we discovered you have to schlep all your own gear yourself or team up with another team. more logistics than we wanted
the entry fees are very low but you have to add a lot of other expenses and in the end it won't probably cost much less then Heroes Legend ...
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:15 AM   #403
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
It does say one week...

"a preview of what will be the Rally of Cortez in 2012, intended as the Dakar Rally Mexico, lasting one week,"

I'll believe it when I see something official, but this is interesting.
That's okay ... it also says three days:
Quote:
This Rally is organized as the Dakar Rally, with transit and special stages in three days...
It doesn't exactly scream of a quality announcement to (almost) English speaking USA, although granted it does seem to be a translation. Maybe the actual competition is three days but the event is 5 days with the documentation and scrutineering. Taking that same approach to other events though would make the Dakar 20+ days and the FIM World Cross Country Champ rounds 8 days, so still doesn't cut it as a "Dakar" billing.
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #404
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,412
Traffic congestion in the western African sahara...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian
This is completely new to me, an Italian rally driver told me today he hope to join a new Paris Dakar "Classic", managed by Auriol, which should leave from Paris at the beginning of 2011.... any clue? Can't find anything on the web !
There seem's to be any abundance of different rallye/raid events in that part of the world at the moment...? (reached market saturation perhaps?)

http://www.heroeslegend.com
oct 16 - 30 2010: A "traditional" desert raid/rally aimed at the amatuer competitor. Patronized of none other than Stephane Peterhansel, start in Paris, transfer to sth France, ferry to Marocco, 6 stages marocco, 4 in Mauritania and 2 in senegal, traditional finish in Dakar.

(IIRC this is the event/concept that Hubert Auriol helped first ground when he parted with the ASO/DAKAR organisation a few years back... no?)

http://www.africarace.com/
dec 27 2010 - jan 9 2011: Touted as the "African" alternative to "DAKAR" (now that it is in South America). Cater to FIA/FIM competitors and is the event that René Metge is the organiser behind.

Start in (sth) Spain? and 12 day route over Marocco, Mauritania and Senegal to finish in Dakar.

http://www.budapestbamako.org/en/
jan 2011...? This event was cancelled in 2010 (terror threats/political reasons) but reputed to return in 2011 according to website.
7600 km from Budapest (Hungary) via Italy, sth France, Spain, then ferry to Marocco, and rally continue through Marocco, West Sahara, Mauritania and finish in Bamako, Mali.

http://www.tuareg-rallye.com/
march/april 2011: Another amatuer rally over seven days competition (both auto and moto) in Marocco (start/finish in Spain).

and now this event also;

http://intercontinentalrally.com/

that Gian just posted (had not seen it before).

It seemed that ASO took DAKAR to Argentina/Chilé because of the political unrest/terror threats... vowing to return when things are suiitable again... but maybe they will choose to stay away a bit longer and continue finding new places, challenges and terrain for Thierry Sabine's original "dream" to discover? The news about the ASO approach to Peru to host Dakar 2012 onwards seems to support this idea...?

One thing seems certain; and that is that the accessible regions of the north western Sahara of Africa (both logistically, economically and politically) are becoming fewer as time passes...

Just look (objectively) at the intinerary of all five of the events listed above and you will see that they (relatively speaking) are all pretty similar; hugging the fringe of Africa's atlantic coast...

...nothing like the interior of the Sahara that the "real DAKAR" of years past (it's not my phrase... but so many people like to trot it out, I thought I would indulge the Thierry Sabine faithfull)... which traversed countries like Algeria, Chad, Niger, Mali, Burkino Faso... or even the real old days across as far as Tunisia and Libya, even Egypt.

The only organisation playing on that side of the Sahara any longer seems to be NPO http://www.npo.fr/

(aside from yet another event I had almost forgotten; called the Libya Desert Challenge, ran by a Dutch/German consortium).

NPO arrange the WCCRC round Rallye Oilibya de Tunisie (formerly OPTIC 2000 Tunisie?) and the Egypt Sphinx Rallye (formerly Pharoahs?) Oh, and NPO also have the Shamrock Rallye (in Marocco... in october), so that makes actually SIX rallye raids in the west sahara africa region...? Is there any one else think "market saturation" may have been achieved yet?

On top of this you have all the other established events on the FIA/FIM world cross country rally calender (UAE Desert Challenge, Des Sertoes Brazil, etc.) and the Silk Road/Takliman desert event in Mongolia/China, the Aust. Safari down under... and now this "new" event - reported here by wrk2surf - to be run in Mexico (2012 Rally of Cortez?) following on the recent success of the NORRA Mexico 1000...?

By my quick head count, that's well over a dozen (more like 14 or 15) major multi-day rally events around the globe... Consider that the one thing all have in common is that they need (at least) 150 - 200 competitors (minimum) to be viable (the big events closer to double that), and the amount of time/finance resources needed to compete in a series (like the FIA/FIM cross country rally series). Even the best supported teams are at a stretch to get to FOUR events a year... AND THEN consider how many privateer competitors are out there around the world (many realistically who only have the time/finances to do maybe ONE event... perhaps even every second year), then it don't take a genius to figure that the calender is full, and the marketplace of "customers" is relatively small (shrinking?)

While I think it's great that there are so many different events available for people to choose between, the reality is that many of these races are going to fight (struggle) to survive... and this (like in any business) means competition. Is it any wonder that the biggest fish in the pond, plays "hard ball" to protect it's tademark... and looks at every alternative to capitalize on it... Even if it means taking it to a new setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 05-04-2010 at 06:10 AM
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #405
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1
That's okay ... it also says three days:

It doesn't exactly scream of a quality announcement to (almost) English speaking USA, although granted it does seem to be a translation. Maybe the actual competition is three days but the event is 5 days with the documentation and scrutineering. Taking that same approach to other events though would make the Dakar 20+ days and the FIM World Cross Country Champ rounds 8 days, so still doesn't cut it as a "Dakar" billing.

Yeah- I think alot is lost in the translation. I thought the 3 days was referring to the Mexican 1000 which was just completed- 3 days with liasons/specials.

I won't hold my breath.