Old 01-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #31
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,070
I'm confused?

Is it correct to presume that:
- Dakar is not part of the FIM Cross Country Rally championship
- Dakar requires a less than 450cc machine
- There are no engine restrictions at other Rallies?

So therefore, are we presuming that KTM are expected to design/produce a 450cc Rally Bike, for ONE event only, that (although the most prominant) is not part of the Championship?

Why would they want to do that?
And if so, why not just bolt on a 450cc Barrel/Piston onto the 690 architecture?

It would make sense that they would continue running the 690's in the other events?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #32
PackMule OP
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyte610e
It would make sense that they would continue running the 690's in the other events?

If anyone in a marketing department cares about those other events.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #33
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,244
can I pop up my tent here for a while PM ??
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #34
klr650gary
CBD Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I'm more than happy just lurking at the edge, but, can I throw a question in please?

There is probably an easy answer (hopefully not covered before), anyone got any thoughts on the merits of a KLX 450 as a Rallye bike or why no one has?
Old 01-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #35
MEGO
Africa Racer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally

Frans Verhoeven crashed 3 engines this year, the BMW engine is not made for long distance rallys !!!
It's not true! Last Year Pellicer win Africa Race (7000 km.) with BMW 450...
without any problem.
He was very happy about the bike which got max speed near 165 kmh...
(Pellicer directly told me this)
It was an amazing bike with a very good weight distribution.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 AM   #36
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,606
Eh? the truth MEGO...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGO

It's not true! Last Year Pellicer win Africa Race (7000 km.) with BMW 450... without any problem.
He was very happy about the bike which got max speed near 165 kmh...
(Pellicer directly told me this)
It was an amazing bike with a very good weight distribution.
From Africa Race 2009:

During the last briefing which took place last night in the bivouac located in the mouth of the Senegal river mouth, René Metge insisted on the fact that every competitors had to be very careful until they reached the entry of the parc fermé at the hotel Mériden Président of Dakar. He was heard since the Africa Race finished without almost any problem. Indeed, the leader of the bike category José Manuel Pellicer broke down at km 79 in the liaison leading to the final podium. He was luckily driving with both Italian riders Michele Galizia and Carlo Alberto Miglizza who towed him to the finish line.

No problems eh? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #37
MEGO
Africa Racer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente
From Africa Race 2009:

During the last briefing which took place last night in the bivouac located in the mouth of the Senegal river mouth, René Metge insisted on the fact that every competitors had to be very careful until they reached the entry of the parc fermé at the hotel Mériden Président of Dakar. He was heard since the Africa Race finished without almost any problem. Indeed, the leader of the bike category José Manuel Pellicer broke down at km 79 in the liaison leading to the final podium. He was luckily driving with both Italian riders Michele Galizia and Carlo Alberto Miglizza who towed him to the finish line.

No problems eh? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
Yeah! You're right!
But it was an electrical fault, just 1 km, behind the Podium...
I arrived there in the meantime than Pepe, his mec, was working on the bike. I told him "keep my arm", on the other side Michele push on the silencer and so we all arrived at the podium.
I mean if he would, he could search and find the problem, surely.

Anycase, amazing bike, believe me.
Last 20 km of the first stage I was at Suz max speed...125kmh.
He told me 160kmh...

(Helsingor-Helsingborg...I do this ferry in 1986 in a trip to Andesrtorp - Stockolm...with my blue Yam Teneré - I was a Dakar fan...)
Old 01-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #38
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by klr650gary
I'm more than happy just lurking at the edge, but, can I throw a question in please?

There is probably an easy answer (hopefully not covered before), anyone got any thoughts on the merits of a KLX 450 as a Rallye bike or why no one has?
1) KLX450 is based on the KX450, an MX bike with small oil capacity and designed for sprint races and frequent maintenance. Not the best platform for an long distance endurance race (not saying it is not possible though).

2) Since over half the field is on KTMs it makes a lot of sense to be on the same bike. If you have to borrow/buy a spare part you increase your chances of someone else having what you need. Also KTM has a truck in the rally you can buy spares off of.

Edit: Just noticed your screename, KLRs have been past rallys.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #39
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyte610e
I'm confused?

Is it correct to presume that:
- Dakar is not part of the FIM Cross Country Rally championship
- Dakar requires a less than 450cc machine
- There are no engine restrictions at other Rallies?

So therefore, are we presuming that KTM are expected to design/produce a 450cc Rally Bike, for ONE event only, that (although the most prominant) is not part of the Championship?

Why would they want to do that?
I totally agree, except that the Dakar is all about publicity - to a far wider audience than any other bike sport (except perhaps MotoGP now, with Rossi as posterboy)...

I can't see a sleeved down 690R platform working - not against privateers on 'restricted' 690s - you saw what happened this year, the restricted bikes still had the march on the 450s - and those weren't saddled with the extra weight a 690R chassis would have?

I'm very interested to see if KTM can get a factory 450cc machine out there in time for next year's Dakar... (still, they'll have a few weeks longer developement time if it's only got to be shipped to Africa eh? x)

Jenny xx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #40
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet
It was brought up in the dakar thread that the drz would make a great econo-entry. It seems that the rfs is already a proven dakar entity and cheap to boot, these days.
I apologize, that was me I fear...

I do think the DRZ engine is a strong contender, particularly in the Marathon class - and for a privateer on a budget, the weight of the chassis is not going to be as vitally important compared to the reliability...

And I agree with you the RFS engined KTMs are probably the more 'enthusiastic' choice, and like you say, plenty of those around these days, even if they would ideally be freshened up with a new barrel and piston for example?

Personally I'd like to see the new Suzuki RMX450 with a rally kit fitted - yes it is a young machine, but I understand that the service schedule does not require a piston change in the same way as virtually every other enduro engine used in competition is required? With any luck, this powerplant should offer good power AND reliability... it already has decent suspension - all you'd need is a fairing and tank kit...

Hmmmmm...

Jenny xx
Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #41
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaler

The Husky...IMO... all it lacks is a 6th gear which I'm sure the factory boys could manage. Otherwise, those bikes have very sturdy engines in them.
some are 6 speeds, some are 5. The two that finished Dakar 2009 and 2010 were 6 speed TE's.

IMHO the Husky engine is a much better platform to turn into a rallye bike than the KTM RFS engine. I suspect BMW is well aware of this.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #42
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,002
I was surprised there were no Gas Gas in this years Dakar. Heck they even made a sweet factory rally bike!

Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #43
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,002
If BMW focuses on Husky as their Rally bike, they will have a strong contender.

Claudio "Burro" Rodríguez did pretty well on his 450 this year!

This is a pretty sweet looking bike.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #44
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
I was surprised there were no Gas Gas in this years Dakar. Heck they even made a sweet factory rally bike!

I agree - it's a sweet looking bike! The only problem is it's limited tank capacity (17 litres I understand) - but nothing a pair of rear tanks couldn't sort out...

I'm sure we'll see a handful of these on next year's Dakar - it was/is so new, perhaps noone was prepared to invest (the time prepping) in one of these for 2010?

J x
Old 01-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #45
Solihull
Screw it, let's ride.

Oddometer: 128
OT-Dakar pictures

I found these pictures here. Amazing stuff!