Oddometer: 16,880
DC has the best job of all...

great news post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #437
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,097
Howdy all... just thought I'd stick my head round the door (or should that be tent flap?) of the Bivouac and let you know...

Should you not be doing anything this coming January, there is a little race in South America I shall be attending:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=13895038

J x
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #438
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Woo! JMo is doin' the dakar! Go Jenny!

Also, while I'm at it, go Jonah and Simon and Boundsy and.. oh my, it's not even december yet. What am I going to do for the next 4 months???
Old 09-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #439
CBVRacing
CBVRacing

Oddometer: 457
Dakar Talk at Porsche

A few days after Andy Caldecott accident, I went around the bivouac and asked each rider to sign their name on an Australian flag that I had. I gave this flag to his parents on my return to Australia. The following year (2007), I asked his brother to send me some stickers which I handed to each competitor and 80% of the motorbikes had Andy's stickers on.

Four years later, at the Porsche Event on Tuesday night where I was invited to talk about the Dakar Rally, a club member handed me this beautiful frame of Andy Caldecott who died on his third attempt during the 2006 Dakar. This is a rare item that was auctioned after Andy's death to help his daughter and pregnant wife.

Andy left the desert doing what he loved most.
Attached Images

Join Dream Racer on Facebook

CBVRacing screwed with this post 09-18-2010 at 11:17 PM
CBVRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #440
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBVRacing
A few days after Andy Caldecott accident, I went around the bivouac and asked each rider to sign their name on an Australian flag that I had. I gave this flag to his parents on my return to Australia. The following year (2007), I asked his brother to send me some stickers which I handed to each competitor and 80% of the motorbikes had Andy's stickers on.

Four years later, at the Porsche Event on Tuesday night where I was invited to talk about the Dakar Rally, a club member handed me this beautiful frame of Andy Caldecott who died on his third attempt during the 2006 Dakar. This is a rare item that was auctioned after Andy's death to help his daughter and pregnant wife.

Andy left the desert doing what he loved most.
Gods speed to all the riders and drivers that never returned from doing what they loved.

That is a nice write up of you on the Porsche site, let us know when your film will be aval.,

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #441
big adv
I need supervision

On an other note, who do you all think will be the future names on the podium of WCCR? I myself think that if David Knight gets the rallye bug, he will be a force to be reckoned with. That man had pace and ability that is on a different level. Would be interesting to see him on a rallye bike. Who else are we going to be talking about in 3-5 years?

Old 09-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #442
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by big adv
On an other note, who do you all think will be the future names on the podium of WCCR? I myself think that if David Knight gets the rallye bug, he will be a force to be reckoned with. That man had pace and ability that is on a different level. Would be interesting to see him on a rallye bike. Who else are we going to be talking about in 3-5 years?
for sure he has no problem in driving FAST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3JXKqfX1Bw
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #443
todd5774
Hillbilly

Oddometer: 196
Cant see Ktm letting him do the dakar or that type of riding, also dont think that he will bring the same sort of sponsers to the table like coma and despres, dont get me wrong i would love to see him on a rally bike but i dont think it will happen.
todd5774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #444
big adv
I need supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd5774
Cant see Ktm letting him do the dakar or that type of riding, also dont think that he will bring the same sort of sponsers to the table like coma and despres, dont get me wrong i would love to see him on a rally bike but i dont think it will happen.
Why can't you see KTM doing that? KTM is in the business of winning races, Knight is of the age that he will start to slow down and the fast new riders will start to win, but he is also of the prime age and experience to start riding in the rallye world. Early 30's with a strongr winning record of enduro and trials seems to be the ticket for a successful rally rider.

Well seeing as knighter just rapped up another WEC E3 championship, and he's not even riding for the KTM factory team, I'd say anything is possible. You don't think that back in '99(Despres) and in '01(Coma) people where making the same statements as you? Do you think that these two came to their first Dakar with a big string of sponsors in toe? Despres entered the 2000 Dakar as a self funded privater, finished 16th, then was picked up as a water carrier for the A riders. I just think that David will be prime to move to this kind of racing in a year or two, about the same time that these two shining stars start to lose there shine. Who else are we going to see?

big adv screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 05:44 PM
Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #445
Cummo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Why can't you see KTM doing that? KTM is in the business of winning races, Knight is of the age that he will start to slow down and the fast new riders will start to win, but he is also of the prime age and experience to start riding in the rallye world.
Are you saying that slower riders ride rallies? Cause the guys I see at the pointy end are hardly what I would call slow by any means, on any bike. You dont have to be older to ride rallies either, the current number 2 in CCWRC is 25 years old and there are many young guys on the rally curcuit. Essentially i believe the reason we dont see as many teenagers on the rally circuit is really to do with the costs involved in rallying, not that rally riders are slower.

In regard to Knight and rallies, I like you guys have no idea what might happen but I do know in an interview some years ago he said absolutley no way to rallying, he thought it was too crazy!
Cummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #446
big adv
I need supervision

Not saying that slow guys rallye, just that the pace req. for WER is relentless. I think that to be a good(winning) rallye rider, you need to fast and have loads of experiance that comes from other forms of offroad racing. Put the two together and you have a very good rallye rider, look at Coma, Despres, Peterhansel, Mioni, Sainct, Roma, Orioli etc, all come with a very broad background in racing, and years of experience. That's the 7 people that have won the last 20 Dakars, average age when first win, 29yrs.( exception of Mioni, was 45 when he first won!!!!) I also dont think its an old guy thing, just that experience and strategy play a very big part to winning, both of which come with time. You know this, rallye is not pin it to win it. Its, to finish first, first you must finish.

Too bad David has no interest in rallye, would be interesting to see him on a rallye bike.

So who else are we going to see, who are the up and comers?

big adv screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 10:33 PM
Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #447
Cummo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
So who else are we going to see, who are the up and comers?
Michael Pisano
Jakub Przygonski
Alessandro Zannoti
Olivier Pain

Like I said, I think the cost of the rallying is an obstacle for young guys, sponsorship for a multi day, international, mobile desert rally is also not the easiest to find.
Cummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #448
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummo
Michael Pisano
Jakub Przygonski
Alessandro Zannoti
Olivier Pain

Like I said, I think the cost of the rallying is an obstacle for young guys, sponsorship for a multi day, international, mobile desert rally is also not the easiest to find.
well Zanotti is not exactly a newcomer (in 2004,in the 450 class, he was 3rd at the Tunisie rally, 2nd at the Morocco rally and finally won the Pharaons!)

Probably Luca Manca is Italian best hope, but we'll have to see if he is able to fully recover from that horrible Dakar accident. Staying here in Italy, Andrea Mancini (the fresh new Italian Champion) is going really fast but he is still waiting for a real chance to run on different grounds. Maybe Manuel Lucchese, he is just in his early twenties and already able to let Czachor and Dabrowki behind him at the Sardinia... let's see

The problem with the age in rally raids is not only in the money thing, I think many riders see these races with big respect, most of them know you have to use your head too, not only the gas! And this comes easier with much experience race after race
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #449
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Essentially i believe the reason we dont see as many teenagers on the rally circuit is really to do with the costs involved in rallying
Tell me about it

Quote:
In regard to Knight and rallies, I like you guys have no idea what might happen but I do know in an interview some years ago he said absolutley no way to rallying, he thought it was too crazy!
Cummo, you're right! If you watch his "Iron Man of Enduro" DVD there's a small clip of him chatting with Stefan Everts and Paul Edmonson where they're talking about Dakar and you hear a "no thank you!".
Knighter was even present on one of KTM's training session in Tunisia when the 690RR first came out!

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #450
BajasWorld
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Michael Pisano
Jakub Przygonski
Alessandro Zannoti
Olivier Pain

In Spain, a new young and talented guy is going to rally world: Joan Barreda.
Fast, and talented rider. He will be at the start in Pharaons Rally in a 690.
Top Rally teams in Spain are closelly following what
BajasWorld is offline   Reply With Quote