Old 01-29-2011, 05:58 AM   #631
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Invader View Post
And the countdown has begun...

Jx

(PS. I don't know why the title "Dakar Rally 2012 starts" is not showing in the widget...)
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #632
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post

Jx

(PS. I don't know why the title "Dakar Rally 2012 starts" is not showing in the widget...)

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #633
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,883
Quote:

Jx

I got money that Nate figures out a way to make that the header on the main Racing subforum page.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #634
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
I got money that Nate figures out a way to make that the header on the main Racing subforum page.
Hee hee - if he doesn't, I can send him the html code x
Old 01-30-2011, 12:34 AM   #635
OaklandLion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Quinn Cody was wearing a regular Alpinestars Venture jacket in the Dakar this year (I know this because I have the same one at home!)... it's off-the-shelf in Europe, but for some reason Alpinestars don't sell the full range of their MX and Enduro gear in the States, only boots and gloves???

You can order the Venture Jacket though any UK online shop (Try Racespec.co.uk for example) and get one posted though? It's a top jacket - zip off-sleeves, bladder pouch, big pockets, and pretty decent weather protection too, and not stupid money either...

I wore the older design in Dakar this year (as there were no red new ones in stock anywhere before Christmas):

But this is the current design - available in two-tone red, plain black, or two-tone blue (like me and QC x):

Jx

Jenny - question about the A* venture jacket. Does the armour come with it or is it cut large so you can wear a compression suite under it?

I like it!
2007 KTM 450exc - - my wild monkey
OaklandLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #636
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
As for the 'rules' this year - while on the surface the '3 engine' stipulation seems harsh, the organization did concede that essentially 'unlimited' changes could be made, with a succession of time penalties... seems this first year they weren't particularly tight on this rule though!
Is there any real teeth to this rumour outside advrider?
I thought, in the final wash-up, all the reported 4th engine changes had corresponding penalties. And zero evidence (and deemed highly unlikely anyway) of any un-reported engine changes.

(And wasnt the 3-engine rule always in place?)
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #637
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
Bit of a blast from the past, but remember when Verhoeven's engine gave up?

He went back to Goncalves' bike, started to take out the engine but took an engine from the T4 fast service truck?

Loads of people started a rumour here that he took his fairings and stuff of his own bike and mounted this up to Goncalves' bike..

Anybody found any pics of Frans replacing the engine or any other work??
Old 01-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #638
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandLion View Post
Jenny - question about the A* venture jacket. Does the armour come with it or is it cut large so you can wear a compression suite under it?

I like it!
Hi OL (gosh, aren't I lazy typing...)

The Venture jacket doesn't have any armour, as it's designed to go over a pressure suit style body armour as you surmise. I usually wear a Medium and it fitted fine over my original Dainese amour, but you might want to go up a jacket size (as I did for Dakar) if riding in very hot weather.

The jacket does have a pocket for a back-protector, but no pockets for elbow ad shoulder CE type armour like their more road/tour orientated jackets do... the Venture really is an off-road/enduro race jacket, although that said, I wore one DS riding all over the US both times I was there, and if you don't fall off much, it makes a great 'trail riding' jacket too, even without armour.

Jx

ps. They also make a similar styled 'Adventure Dual' jacket which I believe you can fit CE armour into using velcro...

again, both versions are available at www.Racespec.co.uk
Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #639
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
Is there any real teeth to this rumour outside advrider?
I thought, in the final wash-up, all the reported 4th engine changes had corresponding penalties. And zero evidence (and deemed highly unlikely anyway) of any un-reported engine changes.

(And wasnt the 3-engine rule always in place?)
The three engine rule was in place before, but it wasn't deemed necessary to enforce it so strictly, as the majority of top runners were on 690s, that didn't need more than 3 engines...

With the 450s it's [potentially] different, and certainly reports (whether creditable or not) of Fretigne etc 'changing' his engine every other day in the past means the organisation tightened up the rules - before you could swap the engine out (and rebuild it) as many times as you liked, as long as you just used three engines... now, you are only allowed to remove an engine three times before penalties are incurred.

Whether anyone got away with an extra change without a penalty this year, I guess we'll never know... but yes, by all accounts, those that did change to a 4th+ engine, did receive a corresponding penalty...

Jx
Old 01-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #640
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,007
Quote:

Jx
That's just cruel for the F5 team Jenny
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #641
OaklandLion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Hi OL (gosh, aren't I lazy typing...)

The Venture jacket doesn't have any armour, as it's designed to go over a pressure suit style body armour as you surmise. I usually wear a Medium and it fitted fine over my original Dainese amour, but you might want to go up a jacket size (as I did for Dakar) if riding in very hot weather.

The jacket does have a pocket for a back-protector, but no pockets for elbow ad shoulder CE type armour like their more road/tour orientated jackets do... the Venture really is an off-road/enduro race jacket, although that said, I wore one DS riding all over the US both times I was there, and if you don't fall off much, it makes a great 'trail riding' jacket too, even without armour.

Jx

ps. They also make a similar styled 'Adventure Dual' jacket which I believe you can fit CE armour into using velcro...

again, both versions are available at www.Racespec.co.uk

Jenny -

I just bought the Venture jacket, L, black.

I figure if it's good enough for you and Quinn, it's good enough for me.

I just hope it's not too tight. If it is, I might be forced to lose a few pounds!

Cheers!
2007 KTM 450exc - - my wild monkey
OaklandLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #642
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
These jackets are very good, they are the lighest and coolest (as in degrees C or F) rallye jacket you will find, essentially they are a MX jersey weight material cut like a rallye jacket with pockets and Leatt brace cut out, so very light and fully custom and cheap about $170AUS ea plus any design work you want which is also cheap.

The pockets, are 2 side ones and large rear one, and a zip openeing for the Camelbak at the rear top.

But since they are cool & light they are not strong, if you crash they will tear the same as a MX jersey.................but for me that's a small -ve.

The Kenny's will be stronger for sure, but still much hotter than these I am sure.

They fit well over body armour like Dianese.

There is a winter fleece on like the photo below and also a summer mesh one like a mesh MX jersy, which is what I used in 2010 Dakar, really breathable.

Thats interesting stuff, thanks for the explanation Garry. I rode with a BMW jacket one size bigger with the camelback under it, It was heavier and hotter, but I like to have that added protection for when you come off. All the ventilation holes and stuff actually made it quite pleasure to ride with, and without the gazillion pockets I wouldnt have been able to take extra oil etc for the marathon stages. You can also see the octane booster bottle sticking out!

One question: Is it only the plastic bladder of the camelback that slips into that jersey or is it the whole thing that goes on underneath?
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #643
yety61
Global Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,191
[QUOTE=JMo (& piglet);15058256]

G'day Jenny,

I was happy with the weekly countdown

But now this!!!

Watching this timer countdown to the 2012 start is going to drive me crazy with anticipation.

By the way, thanks for keeping us all informed and entertained from the inside of the Dakar, brilliant stuff.
yety61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #644
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Hee hee - and weird that when you copied it, it now has the proper title:

It's voodoo I tell you!

Jx
Old 01-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #645
yety61
Global Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,191
Dakar DNF's

Just a curious question for you Jenny,
What happens to the organising of the return/repatriation of your bike and gear if you DNF?

I read something awhile ago that once you dnf you're on your own, ASO basically tell you to find your own way home (if you are not injured). The story is a competitor dnf'd and had a transport truck drop him off at the nearest airport, he caught mutlpile flights back home (Australia) and landed still wearing his riding gear. This was when Dakar was still in Africa.

I'm not sure of any truth to this story, but it is interesting to find out what happens if, as in your case, you dnf through injury, what happens to all your stuff? I realise there is predetermined logistics in place to have everything returned if you complete the event, but what happens when you finish early?
yety61 is offline   Reply With Quote