Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #826
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,989

In recent years almost everyone has been using some sort of a digital device to send info "back home" from the bivy. Everyone on this site can attest to the benefits of that. Most folks are tech savy enough to handle something like that. Having a choice of using an app on their crackberry or shyPhone to highlight their books and add exclamation marks may well be welcomed by some folks.

The biggest challenge would be coming up with the device and making it good enough for the rigors of rally and desert racing. I truly believe that such a gadget can be developed with all the material and tech available to us. All of the safety aspects that Hog just mentioned would be huge pluses and you could make an argument life saving propositions.

I mean it is all really good food for thought.
The last paragraph in Hogs post pretty much sums it up.
An aid which if developed properly could be come a lot more.

cost is a big thing anywhere but a good product will usually be worth the price

btw thanks for taking the time to read my loooong winded posts
I have some time to type while waiting for things to RIP on my printer hehe (oh paper)
+ momento mori +

ArthDuro screwed with this post 05-09-2011 at 08:24 AM
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #827
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,136
Eh? Good Grief, ...

... Charlie Brown!!!
A guy goes camping with his new ridin' buddy for a weekend (he caught on to riding on the 640Adv, too) and stays a few extra days (well, 14 extra to be honest) and all kinda F5-ing opportunities pass him by! Will be home tonight and try to catch up.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #828
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Pissed Logistical lessons learned from Dubai to Tunisia...

Latest from Pal Anders Ullevalseter's www.dakar.no:

"The 1st-7th May Pål Anders should have participated in the rally Tunisia. But as already known this never happened.

The reason: Pål Anders' motorcycle (and many of the other competitors' ditto) never arrived at the start. The bikes were transported by boat from Dubai to Tunisia, and was promised to arrive 27th April. Still the bikes have not arrived in Tunisia. According to Pal Anders they come to Genoa (Italy) on May 17th instead.

Thus it was no more than 17.starters in Tunisia. Rally Tunisia chose to carry on the race, despite the organizers' responsibility to transport the relevant bikes from Dubai. Pål Anders and many more disgruntled riders have submitted a complaint to the FIM for organizers poor organization of transport. Neither Coma nor Despres participated in this World Cup round. And all those who have not had the opportunity to participate in the rally, also lost the ability to get the World Cup points.

In addition to the loss of World Cup points, Pål Anders lost the money he paid to participate in this World Cup round. The organizers do not want to pay the money back, but there's a possibility that the money be transferred to later rally in Tunisia is present. This is no desirable situation for Pål Anders.

In this logistical rally-chaos there are also other forms of chaos in Tunisia during the day. It has recently been riots, in which 2 were killed at the port where the boat with the participants went home now before the weekend.

Tunisia was thus not as expected, and it turns out that Brazil rally has been canceled. In Sardinia rally will be for Enduro Motorcycles. Pål Anders does not know what's ahead.

Results from the Rally Tunisia were as follows:
1.Helder Rodrigues
2.Jacub Przygonski
3.Jacek Czachor

The deadline for registration for the 2012 Dakar approaches. And May 15th Pål Anders hands in his Dakar application! This means that there are some competitive rally-raid racing in 2011, and the goal also this season is DAKAR!
We come back with more information."

He's now rally-modifying a KTM 450 EXC-R Factory Edition with all needed rally-mods, nav-gear and extra fuel tanks for the Sardegna Rally. It will have a 13 litre Acerbis front tank and 5 litre Meca Systems aluminium rear tank. A far step from the 450RR's 18+18litre setup, but good enough for the Sardegna Rally stages.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 05-09-2011 at 04:56 PM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #829
zenjen
Go Outside

Oddometer: 2,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
and it turns out that Brazil rally has been canceled.
Dos Sertoes?
zenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #830
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by F650Dakar_Norway View Post
He's now rally-modifying a KTM 450 EXC-R Factory Edition with all needed rally-mods, nav-gear and extra fuel tanks for the Sardegna Rally. It will have a 13 litre Acerbis front tank and 5 litre Mecesystems aluminium rear tank. A far step from the 450RR's 18+18litre setup, but good enough for the Sardegna Rally stages.

He's got a 450RR parked in the shed, but still elects to build up a Meca Systems 450 EXC for Sardegna
Old 05-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #831
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyte610e View Post
He's got a 450RR parked in the shed, but still elects to build up a Meca Systems 450 EXC for Sardegna
Yepp. Puzzles me too, but it appears he wants to have a dedicated, lighter bike for the more technically challenging races.
The Sardinia Rally stages will apparently have a more technical, enduro-like layout and may favourize the lighter enduro-bikes.
And with the logistic trouble we've seen after Dubai - who knows if it pays off to have a spare bike anyhow.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #832
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post
Dos Sertoes?
yep, no FIM sanction for this years suertos... The locals complained that the series regulars got up front privileges etc, I kind of lean to the extra costs of attaching the FIM.......I have told the Safari org to get a hold of the FIM and offer the rally up!!
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #833
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
I hear that, I pulled up downtown on my rally bike one day and through my helmet I could hear a pirate woman saying "what the hell is that?" The only good side was that one of the other pirates standing with her responded with "it looks like he just came from the Paris-Dakar." Virtually no-one in Newfoundland knows what an offroad rally is.
Best I've heard is "Is that a toaster oven?"

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #834
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyte610e View Post
The 450RR would put him at a real disadvantage at Sardegna Rally Race, this rally is much more EU enduro like in the terrain and tracks etc of the course, no bulky GPS nav gear etc either, lightweight & agile is the go, some even use 300EXC's
Old 05-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #835
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post
Dos Sertoes?
Dos Sertoes is still running this year, it's just not a round of the FIM world championship.............the organisers figured the costs of being FIM far outweighted the benefit, so this year its only a national level event.

FYI Safari was also a FIM round in 2000, 2001, 2002, plus some earlier years, and ditto for the 1 or 2 euro riders it attracted the mega FIM fees were not worth the cost to the event, so it was dropped.................if being FIM meant that 20 EU riders showed up along with say the top boys like Coma, Despres etc then it would be worth it..............BUT FIM always made the series a best results at 5 events out of 6 will count for the final years placing results.......................so NO incentive for the EU guys to come out
Old 05-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #836
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,995
RE Hogwild: I like your gadget, because its going to make things safer for us.

RE Dos Sertoes off the FIM list: Thats terrible news. I cant see what special treatment the locals got, they started behind the FIM guys, and there was no funny business. Its a great rally. Fortunately there is enough local support for it.

RE Hayduke toaster: Brilliant. I have coke all over my keyboard now.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #837
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
Dos Sertoes is still running this year, it's just not a round of the FIM world championship.............the organisers figured the costs of being FIM far outweighted the benefit, so this year its only a national level event.

FYI Safari was also a FIM round in 2000, 2001, 2002, plus some earlier years, and ditto for the 1 or 2 euro riders it attracted the mega FIM fees were not worth the cost to the event, so it was dropped.................if being FIM meant that 20 EU riders showed up along with say the top boys like Coma, Despres etc then it would be worth it..............BUT FIM always made the series a best results at 5 events out of 6 will count for the final years placing results.......................so NO incentive for the EU guys to come out
This whole FIM thing seems like an overated old boys club. Maybe we should start our own SANZAR rally version....When we get famous we can also review Marc Coma's application before approving it.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #838
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,331
Regarding pirates, when I went to Daytona for bike week this year it was like Halloween. Don't reaLly care that the crazy cruisers aren't familiar with adv bikes. They are missing all the fun!

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #839
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Regarding pirates, when I went to Daytona for bike week this year it was like Halloween. Don't reaLly care that the crazy cruisers aren't familiar with adv bikes. They are missing all the fun!
makes me want to buy a 690 RR as a new touring bike
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #840
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
... Don't reaLly care that the crazy cruisers aren't familiar with adv bikes. They are missing all the fun!
Willie G. was standing right there when I peeled out of the (H-D) raingear at the V-Rod Meet 'n' Greet at Bike Week and his comment was, "Hey! You're a RiffRaff!" Nobody had a single negative thing to say about my being on the 640Adv instead of the Street Rod (dead battery and raining HARD for ~12 hrs), nor about the guy on the new Beemer R-Bike, and some knew exactly what the KTM was/is. But then V-Rods are the redheaded step-children of the Harley world, anyway, and V-Rodders march to a different drummer.

That's me at right rear of the "Official" photo in KTM cap, Klim Inferno Riff Raff jacket, and JMo Racing tee, right before Willie G. signed my KTM cap.

Aside, of the eight V-Rodders who went to breakfast after the MeetUp, three are/were Nuke Boat Bubbleheads. That says something in itself, IMO, but I'm not quite sure what.
Attached Images