Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 03:23 AM   #1261
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 584
It'm pretty sure it's a YZ and the pipe snakes around the clutch cover before going the low-level route back to the exhaust can. You can just make it out in this photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
No, look again - his pipe is a low-level style one (like the Meca'system kit), not the curly YZF450 style pipe...

See how his tank set up is different (picture snatched from Helder's website btw.)

I still think he's built some sort of hybrid?

Jx
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:47 AM   #1262
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
It'm pretty sure it's a YZ and the pipe snakes around the clutch cover before going the low-level route back to the exhaust can. You can just make it out in this photo

Ah - good find Wilkinsonk!

Yes, seems his new bike is based on the reverse cylinder YZF450 after all - that would explain the seat and top fuel tank, and looking at your photo compared to the cutaway below, the frame / subframe mounting and shock position...

Interesting why he didn't got for the complete YZF JVO kit (a la Oliver Pain and co) then - although knowing Helder, he seems to do all right on his own builds doesn't he?!

Jx

ps. Looking at the photo again - it looks like he actually has FIVE separate fuel tanks on the new bike?! - the aluminium rear tanks, the centre tank, plus a lower tank on each side of the engine - bowser!

Also, I've also been considering the lower exhaust routing (albeit on a WR engine/chassis) - as one of the issues it seems with the SA Dakar is that of fuel evaporation due to heat and altitude... keeping the header away from the engine, and the underside of the fuel tanks too might help to minimize that issue? - perhaps the reason Helder has routed his pipe the way he has?
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #1263
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,914
Yup it has to be the YZ, you can see it on Tony Schattgat's photos too.

I would also be nervous about the proximity of that exhaust to the fuel tank.. He must have some asbestos cladding in there somewhere....

{Hijack on}

Kinda surreal typing this on a plane....I think I just converted the passenger next to me to be a rally nut, he has all the hotlinks to F5 thread, dakar media thread, live tracking on abu Dhabi etc on his Ipad now....

{hijack off}
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #1264
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
{Hijack on}

Kinda surreal typing this on a plane....I think I just converted the passenger next to me to be a rally nut, he has all the hotlinks to F5 thread, dakar media thread, live tracking on abu Dhabi etc on his Ipad now....

{hijack off}
Hope you're not on a USA bound flight, because we spy on all communications on planes, and when the word "hijack" is used, you're greeted differently when you get off the plane, or maybe even mid-flight!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #1265
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Hope you're not on a USA bound flight, because we spy on all communications on planes, and when the word "*******" is used, you're greeted differently when you get off the plane, or maybe even mid-flight!
Too late, I was up against the wall on arrival
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #1266
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeTA View Post
The lower tanks might be for water. Dakar requires each rider carry some minimum amount of drinking water on the bike in case they get stranded somewhere. Most riders build it in somewhere low and forward, often as part of the skid plate.
You mean like the skid plate JMo had on her bike when SHE did Dakar?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #1267
Cord
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Toby Younger's Dakar video

Sorry, don't know if this is a repeat, but here is Toby's own video from Dakar (including some attractive ladies!!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCmWK...ure=youtu.be&a
Cord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #1268
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,946
Ned hucks a nice wheelie !
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #1269
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,191
John had a seat with the Desert Rose team, similar to what I had with RPA, and is putting together a film. I believe this is a sample (teaser) from it. John is a solid dude and from emails we've been exchanging it sounds like his film (to be released on DVD) is going to be pretty cool

Hi John

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #1270
dakardood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
John had a seat with the Desert Rose team, similar to what I had with RPA, and is putting together a film. I believe this is a sample (teaser) from it. John is a solid dude and from emails we've been exchanging it sounds like his film (to be released on DVD) is going to be pretty cool

Hi John

..and he is an awesome cartoonist!
dakardood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #1271
catas
Orange rider

Oddometer: 326
[QUOTE=JMo (& piglet);

Yes, seems his new bike is based on the reverse cylinder YZF450 after all - that would explain the seat and top fuel tank, and looking at your photo compared to the cutaway below, the frame / subframe mounting and shock position...

Interesting why he didn't got for the complete YZF JVO kit (a la Oliver Pain and co) then - although knowing Helder, he seems to do all right on his own builds doesn't he?!

Jx

ps. Looking at the photo again - it looks like he actually has FIVE separate fuel tanks on the new bike?! - the aluminium rear tanks, the centre tank, plus a lower tank on each side of the engine - bowser!
[/QUOTE]

confirmed reverse cylinder YZF450!
Centre tank is a regular 13lts tank.
lowers tanks should be from JVO kit but with a top cut .
Exhaust system is made in portugal
many other secrets...
Helder likes to build is own bikes!!!
catas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #1272
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,643
Simon Pavey posted this on his Facebook page earlier today:

Quote:
We also have some awesome Dakar 2013 news to bring to you in the next few weeks...

Let's hope he doesn't have to change his engine in the middle of a stage again.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #1273
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Just to clear some stuff about Helders bike up, I saw it in person and even got to fiddle a bit around with it. This is the first time Helder is using the YZ450F. The kit is a custom one for him: the rear right hand side tank is the one from the old Yamaha France kit, but the length has been shortened a bit (same as his 2012 Dakar WR). The rear left tank is also the same Yamaha France tank, also shortened, but then again extended and wleded together with the tank that sits under the seat. The front central tank is a plastic one from IMS (or maybe Acerbis, have to recheck that). Below the central tank, there are again 2 alu tanks on either side of the bike. There is a fuel pump that will suck the fuel from these tanks and pump it into the central plastic tank via 2 banjo bolts that Helder drilled on the topside of the plastic tank (I advised him against doing this as the plastic material is no more than 2mm thick and cutting a thread into the material with said banjo bolt probably won't last). THis setup had a total capacity of 32L. He later changed the 2 lower front tank for smaller ones for 27L total.

I'm not to certain that he will use the YZ again in the future, he had troubles with his electrical system on day 3 (stator and regulator overpowering the electrics) and he lost his 5th gear (stock YZ only has 4, they have a melange of various gears from the YZs and WRs, both 250 and 450) but he still won the stage on day 4 after starting almost last due to the problemn on the previous day.
I woulnd't be surprised if he ran the new EFI WR in the future, perhaps after Qatar

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #1274
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

Hi John
The teaser vid looks great - if anyone gets any news on the dvd (how much/where to get it etc.......) can they post details here please ?

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #1275
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
Simon Pavey posted this on his Facebook page earlier today:
Take a look at about 11m55 in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ItmA...&feature=share

That bike wasn't racing, but was circulating Sweet Lamb all weekend. Paddock rumour has it that a certain Mr S Pavey was riding it, and also that a Mr C Bounds took it for a spin on Saturday. The bike is from a small Italian manufacturer.
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote