ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #1336
ArthDuro
quarantined
 
ArthDuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Westsideistan
Oddometer: 2,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post

good work detective tehdutchie, mistery solved
__________________
my nx250 project pics
my mini ride reports
"parts made of unobtanium"
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #1337
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
You guys are soo behind the times. I have already developed a roadbook to brain scanner. No paper no audio just brain power. Topo overlays in 3d for terrain interpretation, cautions leave a bad taste in your mouth and missed wp penalties are delivered via instant IQ deductions through the cortex. Currently working on sentinel intergration via kick in the butt sensation.

at the biv 2018

Still using human power are you?

__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #1338
HogWild
Scott Whitney
 
HogWild's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: SoCal USA
Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safariaddict View Post
Audio has already been done in a nav Rallye years ago. ( the condo 750 2day rallye) I think it was about three years ago a guy called Paul Sinderberry ( Good rider too ) decided he didn't want to use paper one year. So he bought a digital recorder and dictated each days calls and just keeped pushing the play button everytime he needed a call via a remote button. he wasn't even going to put the roadbook holder on the bike but the organizers insisted he have one on. Not sure how this method turned out but I didn't see him use this again.
It was done in the Baja 1000 a while back also. But in Dakar it's not allowed. No extra electronic devices are allowed. So, it can't be done right now, at least for Dakar. But electronic display roadbooks are not allowed either. Times will change though.

What I have in mind for audio goes way beyond just a simple recording. Bikes need to be automatically warned that a car is coming up from behind. When you get way too far off course, it could tell you so the race organization doesn't have to go find you with a helicopter. You can have warnings play just before you hit a hazard, even if you don't press the "play" button. Actually, what I have in mind may not even have a play button, it would all be automatic. I'm not a big fan of all the possibilities with electronics because I think it takes away from some of the challenge and risks of navigating for yourself. But time will force changes, even if some of us don't like them.
__________________
.
New desert racing frontiers
It will be Diabolical!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #1339
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast
 
Dread Pendragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Who's voice will you use for the black box audio voice over Scott...?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post


Brilliant! Now today FEELS like the Dakar is on. I"m in a good mood now.

__________________
"Never get excited in a rally, its a race, but its never a race at that exact moment" -Quinn Cody

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 04-24-2012 at 09:10 PM
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #1340
drc42
Rally Dreamer
 
drc42's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
It was done in the Baja 1000 a while back also. But in Dakar it's not allowed. No extra electronic devices are allowed. So, it can't be done right now, at least for Dakar. But electronic display roadbooks are not allowed either. Times will change though.

What I have in mind for audio goes way beyond just a simple recording. Bikes need to be automatically warned that a car is coming up from behind. When you get way too far off course, it could tell you so the race organization doesn't have to go find you with a helicopter. You can have warnings play just before you hit a hazard, even if you don't press the "play" button. Actually, what I have in mind may not even have a play button, it would all be automatic. I'm not a big fan of all the possibilities with electronics because I think it takes away from some of the challenge and risks of navigating for yourself. But time will force changes, even if some of us don't like them.
Could be tied to the odo, just like a paper roadbook. Then if you don't keep your odo in sync the messages don't get read to you at the right point. As far as the off-course warning, you could make it wait until you were WAY off course before it warned you, that would keep some of the challenge as you would still loose time with nav mistakes.

Not sure I would like audio, I like a quick glance at a picture. Not sure how many words it would take to properly describe some of the more complex tulip drawings. I don't even like having the voice turned on with my garmin gps in the car.
__________________
follow my journey: Dreaming of Dakar
drc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #1341
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Could be tied to the odo, just like a paper roadbook. Then if you don't keep your odo in sync the messages don't get read to you at the right point. As far as the off-course warning, you could make it wait until you were WAY off course before it warned you, that would keep some of the challenge as you would still loose time with nav mistakes.

Not sure I would like audio, I like a quick glance at a picture. Not sure how many words it would take to properly describe some of the more complex tulip drawings. I don't even like having the voice turned on with my garmin gps in the car.
I imagine the voice being Bruce from Family Guy saying... "Oh nooo, Whatcha doing over there?"
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #1342
Bodwick
Odd Bod
 
Bodwick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land U.K.
Oddometer: 1,181
I'd be getting way too many "Off route - re-calculating" calls, for my liking...

__________________
You have just begun reading the sentence you just finished reading.
Bodwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #1343
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool
 
troy safari carpente's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: f5ederation of scandwegia
Oddometer: 18,022
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I imagine the voice being Bruce from Family Guy saying... "Oh nooo, Whatcha doing over there?"


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John
"There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."


Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #1344
Beez
Given to fly
 
Beez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Framingham, MA
Oddometer: 5,759
Anyone remember the movie Timerider where Lyle Swann puts a cassette tape in his bike and it plays course notes in his helmet?

Beez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #1345
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
Anyone remember the movie Timerider where Lyle Swann puts a cassette tape in his bike and it plays course notes in his helmet?

What is a "Cassette Tape"?
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #1346
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
What is a "Cassette Tape"?
The records used to skip too much....
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #1347
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
The records used to skip too much....
And wax cylinders used to melt in the Sahara sun...
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #1348
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
And wax cylinders used to melt in the Sahara sun...
and the abacus beads... well.....
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #1349
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
and the abacus beads... well.....
I think the stone tablets were the worst, though.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #1350
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Not home in Tijuana
Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think the stone tablets were the worst, though.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014