User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
cminh25 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
1986 Honda Elite 150D tire replacement

I have a Honda Elite Ch150d and need to change the tires on it. After reading the thread, its seems like I need to buy a replacement gasket for the exhaust before I'm able to change out the rear tire. I tried looking for a gasket on ebay but couldnt find anything. Any recommendation where I can buy one? Thanks in advance...
cminh25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Bandit240
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
You can get the gasket at any honda dealer. They are around $5.
Bandit240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Gasket Info

(posted elsewhere by me on ADVrider)

For the record, any competent parts jockey at a dealership can find the part number on their parts CDs or microfiche.

When calling about parts, just tell them the year, model, and what part you're looking for-they should be able to find it without the part number.

The part number for the exhaust gasket for my '85 CH150D is: 18291-KV8-680. After 'QTY 1'.

Make sure that you get NEW exhaust gaskets for the HONDA ELITE 150 from Honda when you remount the exhaust assembly.
Get the assembly lined up so the exhaust pipe is flush against the exhaust gasket in the exhaust manifold (have someone help you hold it in place), and attach the nuts at the exhaust header FIRST. You can feel when the exhaust is flat against the gasket and the gasket is flat against the manifold. {The original nuts were not on mine and the PO had used two washers and a lock washer on each stud - make sure you use LOCK washers, okay?)
Then ( after making sure the plastic gravel shield is on correctly right over the rear wheel) install the 3 bolts that hold the muffler assembly on. If you don't get it on right, then you must try it again with another new exhaust gasket (they're cheap - don't worry too much about it!).

It's doable, by the time I found out that I could not:
1. re-use exhaust gaskets
2. use Honda exhaust gaskets that were 'close' to the right size - but still not the right part number
3. just casually align the pipe in the manifold when putting it back on
--I had put mine exhaust on at least 6 times more then necessary - it's fine now. Learn from my experience!

Don't double them up or use any kind of sealant, silicone, or anything like that. Or the new gasket will leak (FAIL!) quickly.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Bandit240
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Well to make things a little easier for you to go get one from the dealer, here is the part number. I keep spares of them, so the number is right off the package from the honda dealer.

18291-KV8-680
Bandit240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
JEDI 2.0
Not From Star Wars

Oddometer: 81
It's not advisable, but you can use two bad ones in a pinch. Just stack em & put the pipe in place before you tighten down the bolts. Like I said, not advisable but it worked for me for a short while.

Also, when you get a gasket, get several. Then you won't have to stack two bad ones like I did

tires: go with Kenda K413s!! I am VERY VERY PLEASED with these tires & should fit fine on your scoot.

You could easily run the 90/90/10s or the 100/90/10s<----that's what I have on my scoot.
JEDI 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote