User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
gatling OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
California Scooter Company

How about this? A new manufacturer (California Scooter Company; www.CaliforniaScooterCo.com) is opening a factory in southern California to produce a scooter with styling reminiscent of the 1940s/1950s Mustang. Deliveries start in March of this year. I've just started working with this company, so if you have questions, ask away!

The old...

The new...
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Cool. Very hardtail. "Scooter"? Expensive? Is the same, er, look, achievable at a lower price by bobbing a bigger-engined cycle?

Just sayin'; still cool.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
$4995?!!?? That's a lot of cash to have something to make the Kikker 5150 riders jealous.

Are these actually going to be made in the US or just somehow assembled (ie. uncrated) here? Their web page just says "timeless American design" but nothing about American made. Kinda like my crappy Schwinn bicycle having a "designed in the USA" sticker.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
$4995?!!?? That's a lot of cash to have something to make the Kikker 5150 riders jealous.

Are these actually going to be made in the US or just somehow assembled (ie. uncrated) here? Their web page just says "timeless American design" but nothing about American made. Kinda like my crappy Schwinn bicycle having a "designed in the USA" sticker.
(from the company website, fwiw)

"Each and every California Scooter is built here at our factory in La Verne, California and is personally inspected by one of our own master builders before leaving our facility."

Built = assembled of offshore pieces?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Bandit240
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Its more of a mini chopper than a scooter. The engine looks to be a chinese clone of a honda engine. The forks look alot like the forks on my TC90. Now i have an idea to build a mini chopper with a 90cc 2 stroke suzuki engine.

Its cool looking, and if you can weld, you could make one. Not something i would drop $5k on.
Bandit240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:36 AM   #6
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
My uncle had a Mustang when I was a kid. Those of us who remember the Mustang are getting up there in years so there may be some who will buy for nostalgia reasons. Still, for half of that price you can get a full size, full suspension, Chinese made cruiser bike.

Q
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #7
JEDI 2.0
Not From Star Wars

Oddometer: 81
Shame, because that thing is pretty cool. . ..but by NO STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION would I pay $5k for that
JEDI 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto
(from the company website, fwiw)

"Each and every California Scooter is built here at our factory in La Verne, California and is personally inspected by one of our own master builders before leaving our facility."

Built = assembled of offshore pieces?
I guess I didn't dig deep enough on the website to find that.

For about $5K you can get a fully restored Cushman or Mustang if you're really nostalgia crazy. For $2K you can get a Kikker for just the looks but not the cachet.

It seems like this thing is being built more along the lines and hefty price tags of custom choppers than the typical scooter. You can buy a fine Honda or stock Harley for way less than a Big Dog, Texas Cycle, West Coast Chopper, OCC, Sucker Punch Sally, etc... But you buy one of those choppers for the feel and sometimes the intangibles.

I doubt this different idea of scooter production will take the country by storm or even match the sales of the Kikker. But who knows. Maybe this is the price tag to run a fully functional, healthy niche business. At least it doesn't appear to be a Chinese product dump concept.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Bandit240
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
I went to the website and looked at the pictures a little better. The engine and forks look just like the ones that were on a buddies chinese 200cc sportbike. Even the controls look the same too. Even if its put together in the USA, its from china.

This might end up being like the stella, everyone i talk to about them says they are made in Chicago. Even the local Stella dealer will swear that they are made there.
Bandit240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit240
This might end up being like the stella, everyone i talk to about them says they are made in Chicago. Even the local Stella dealer will swear that they are made there.

It strikes me as funny that people would not know the "Stella" history, long before Genuine started bringing them over. Hell, that's half the fun of owning the little LML beast.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
pennintj
Down & Dirty Mechanic

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling
How about this? A new manufacturer (California Scooter Company; www.CaliforniaScooterCo.com) is opening a factory in southern California to produce a scooter with styling reminiscent of the 1940s/1950s Mustang. Deliveries start in March of this year. I've just started working with this company, so if you have questions, ask away!

The old...

The new...
Sorry, but IMHO $5k seems to be a lot of money to spend on essentially an updated Pagsta, no matter where it's assembled. Yah, you may have the frames built here (I doubt it) but that's your standard linhai 200cc wrapped with a ton of stick on QJ DOT equipment.

Good luck with that.

Tom
www.fxmotorsports.net
pennintj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
KaceCoyote
Pass the queer more beer

Oddometer: 5,614
They're sorta cool.

Like 1500 bux cool maybe?

Who makes the motors, where is the frame built?
Everybody talk to them end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange ways
KaceCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
gatling OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaceCoyote
They're sorta cool. Like 1500 bux cool maybe? Who makes the motors, where is the frame built?
Thanks, I think they are cool, too. The questions about component sources and price in your post and the others above seem to go away after folks have had a chance to see the scooters. That sure was the case with me.

Some of the components (including the ones you ask about above) are sourced from foreign suppliers, and some of the production occurs in the United States. All of the make/buy and sourcing decisions are based on quality, cost, safety, style, and other business factors, with quality being the dominant factor. The assembly, integration, and test operations occur in the California production facility, primarily because the company is focused on providing a quality product and creating jobs in the United States.

Seeing the scooters in person elicits a pretty strong positive reaction from most folks, including (obviously) me. I was skeptical when a friend first told me about them and asked me to get involved with the California Scooter Company, but the first time I saw one (the Classic) it was pretty hard not to get excited about it. Maybe it's because I had a '79 Electra Glide Classic, but I think mostly it was the fit and finish, style, the near complete lack of any plastic, and overall coolness of the scooter. Don't think of this as a scooter like a Vespa or one of the Chinese things. Think of the word "scooter" as it was used to describe a motorcycle in the '50s and '60s. You gotta see these in person to really understand what they are all about. I've been a pretty serious Triumph rider for a long, long time, I put a lot of miles on Harleys, and I smiled like a kid on Christmas morning the first time I saw one of these. It didn't take me long to start thinking about what it would be like to take one of these all the way down to Cabo in Baja and write a trip report about it. It's that cool.

The reactions have been overwhelmingly positive at the IMS shows (if you're on Facebook, check out the California Scooter Company page, which has a lot of photos of what's been happening at the shows). My advice is to check out the scooters personally, and make your own decision about quality and price after seeing them in person. The IMS show schedule is at http://californiascooterco.com/company/events.html. There will be a list of dealers out soon where you can see the scooters (production deliveries will start in the near future). If you'd like a brochure, please PM me and I'll get one to you. And if you're out in southern California, let me know and I'll get you hooked up to see one.

gatling screwed with this post 01-23-2010 at 09:13 PM
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #14
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling
Thanks, I think they are cool, too. The questions about component sources and price in your post and the others above seem to go away after folks have had a chance to see the scooters. That sure was the case with me.

Some of the components (including the ones you ask about above) are sourced from foreign suppliers, and some of the production occurs in the United States. All of the make/buy and sourcing decisions are based on quality, cost, safety, style, and other business factors, with quality being the dominant factor. The assembly, integration, and test operations occur in the California production facility, primarily because the company is focused on providing a quality product and creating jobs in the United States.

Seeing the scooters in person elicits a pretty strong positive reaction from most folks, including (obviously) me. I was skeptical when a friend first told me about them and asked me to get involved with the California Scooter Company, but the first time I saw one (the Classic) it was pretty hard not to get excited about it. Maybe it's because I had a '79 Electra Glide Classic, but I think mostly it was the fit and finish, style, the near complete lack of any plastic, and overall coolness of the scooter. Don't think of this as a scooter like a Vespa or one of the Chinese things. Think of the word "scooter" as it was used to describe a motorcycle in the '50s and '60s. You gotta see these in person to really understand what they are all about. I've been a pretty serious Triumph rider for a long, long time, I put a lot of miles on Harleys, and I smiled like a kid on Christmas morning the first time I saw one of these. It didn't take me long to start thinking about what it would be like to take one of these all the way down to Cabo in Baja and write a trip report about it. It's that cool.

The reactions have been overwhelmingly positive at the IMS shows (if you're on Facebook, check out the California Scooter Company page, which has a lot of photos of what's been happening at the shows). My advice is to check out the scooters personally, and make your own decision about quality and price after seeing them in person. The IMS show schedule is at http://californiascooterco.com/company/events.html. There will be a list of dealers out soon where you can see the scooters (production deliveries will start in the near future). If you'd like a brochure, please PM me and I'll get one to you. And if you're out in southern California, let me know and I'll get you hooked up to see one.

Cool, yes. Accepting that all this is true, at that price point, the glam may be insufficient to make five thousand dollars go away.

For most buyers, times are too hard-nosed to make "(t)he questions about component sources and price ...go away..." It'll be an uphill battle. Best of luck.

Unfortunately, in this country, the cost of making such a thing are very high. Once decent components have been sourced and assembled, the net profit on five grand probably isn't great.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:38 AM   #15
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto
...Unfortunately, in this country, the cost of making such a thing are very high. Once decent components have been sourced and assembled, the net profit on five grand probably isn't great.
I disagree with you. Its not expensive to make things in this country.

Statements like yours seem to imply that wages for workers are somehow too high or that making things is somehow untenable when companies are required to follow standards of worker and consumer safety and environmental protection. In reality the costs of making things like vehicles in this country are high only in relative comparison to places where the costs are abusively low with the mentality that profits needs to be astronomical and the impacts or consumers be damned. Afterall, lots of companies do quite well making vehicles in the US. Sure the current economic climate is harsh, but that's across the board.

What do you mean when you estimate profits not being "great"? If salaries are being paid and the company is profitable, then more is probably pure greed.