Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #166
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,314
I just picked mine from the guy I bought it from and took it to my local dealer. BALD tires,and a frozen, muddy road made for an interesting ride. It seems to run good though once I had some paved road to let it stretch it's legs. I thought it was red, but it's actually a purpley kind of colour. Not as much legroom as I remember though.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #167
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
I just picked mine from the guy I bought it from and took it to my local dealer. BALD tires,and a frozen, muddy road made for an interesting ride. It seems to run good though once I had some paved road to let it stretch it's legs. I thought it was red, but it's actually a purpley kind of colour. Not as much legroom as I remember though.
Sounds like a 99, often called Barney bikes.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #168
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Had it out today for it's first real shakedown run. Works really good, still have some scrubbing in to do with the new Avons. Definitely needs handlebar risers, although not too much, you start changing the centre of gravity if you mess with that too much.
The motor runs really strong,but what I'm not happy with is the bags. I'm not real confident that they are going to stay latched once loaded. You just touch them and they pop open. I also noticed the front end is really soft. I've ordered springs for it already. I'm sure with 120k on it, a rear shock would be good too, just out of the budget right now.
I also noticed how sloppy the shifter is. Are they all like that, or is this one just worn out. It shifts O.K., just really loose where it pivots at the end of the rod.
Other than that, she looks like she's ready to rock and start eating up the miles ( sorry, kilometres).

Seeing as it's a Concours, I'm thinking about calling it " Connie Lingus". My wife says that's fine, so long as I'm the one who explains what that means to the kids.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #169
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 928
Quote:
Had it out today for it's first real shakedown run. Works really good, still have some scrubbing in to do with the new Avons. Definitely needs handlebar risers, although not too much, you start changing the centre of gravity if you mess with that too much.
The motor runs really strong,but what I'm not happy with is the bags. I'm not real confident that they are going to stay latched once loaded.
You just touch them and they pop open.

The owner's manual says to always lock them - I do and mine stay secure even fully loaded. The latch is very easy to open if it is not locked.

Quote:
I also noticed the front end is really soft. I've ordered springs for it already. I'm sure with 120k on it, a rear shock would be good too, just out of the budget right now.

Check the air pressure in the rear shock - around 14psi if you're a light weight (150lbs) up to 50psi fully loaded, two-up, etc. One the early Connies you could adjust the air pressure in the front forks, but not past '93 IIRC when they changed the front end design. Also check out Steve In Sunny Florida's web page lots of good information there, and he does a great job on carb rebuilds.

Quote:
I also noticed how sloppy the shifter is. Are they all like that, or is this one just worn out. It shifts O.K., just really loose where it pivots at the end of the rod.
Other than that, she looks like she's ready to rock and start eating up the miles ( sorry, kilometres).

There is a kit made for that by one of the folks on the ZG/GTR Concours forum go there and search for T-Cro's Shift Linkage - you'll be glad you did.

jdg

'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #170
McJamie
STROMINATOR

I think my bag latches are screwed. One does actually lock, the other three barely even stay closed. I guess I'll have to replace them.

Firmed up the suspension, big improvement. The rear shock looks exactly the same as the one on my 85 GPZ750.
Definitely needs bar risers though. It looks like you have to change the brake line too. What's the cheapest set-up for that?The shifter will have to wait for now.

Did something really stupid today. I went to roll the bike off the centre stand, not quite enough forward momentum, and when it rolled back the "step" part of the centre stand crushed my big toe with entire weight of the bike when it rolled back.&&@@$%*&^&^$##@#$%%^!##$$%!!!!
30 years of motorcycles, pretty much all of them with centre stands, and this is the first time I've done this.
Dumb-ass!
Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #171
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 928
Quote:
I think my bag latches are screwed. One does actually lock, the other three barely even stay closed. I guess I'll have to replace them.

Firmed up the suspension, big improvement. The rear shock looks exactly the same as the one on my 85 GPZ750.
Definitely needs bar risers though. It looks like you have to change the brake line too. What's the cheapest set-up for that?The shifter will have to wait for now.

Did something really stupid today. I went to roll the bike off the centre stand, not quite enough forward momentum, and when it rolled back the "step" part of the centre stand crushed my big toe with entire weight of the bike when it rolled back.&&@@$%*&^&^$##@#$%%^!##$$%!!!!
30 years of motorcycles, pretty much all of them with centre stands, and this is the first time I've done this.
Dumb-ass!
I'm not sure what the cheapest route for longer brake lines is, but if you watch for the sales on the Pashnit store site, they run specials on Galfer stainless steel lines from time to time.

GenMar says you can use their 1.25" risers without resorting to a longer brake hose, but you may need to re-route the control lines. They also make a 2" riser. That one comes with a longer brake line. Murph's Kits has a set from KB that are 1 3/8" that he says do not need a longer hose.

I got nothing when it comes to replacing the latches.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #172
karmatourer
STD free

Oddometer: 2,282
Now you own the KLR of sport tourers!
Nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedinner View Post
My new-to-me 2000 Connie with 27000 km on her..a welcome addition to my 2001 KLR650..I pick the bike up next week....I always wanted one and finally decided to pull the pin!.Plus its red!!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #173
karmatourer
STD free

Oddometer: 2,282
Go the KLR owners route and bungee it.

Quote:

Dumb-ass!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #174
McJamie
STROMINATOR

I lucked out. My local dealer( one I used to work for ), had 2 used latches in stock, but no keys. I figured the odds were pretty good that one of my keys would work. Turns out one did. So now I have three latches that work, and only have to use one key for them. So now i don't worry about things flying away on their own.

I also don't use the centrestand much any more, or if i do, I look down to see where my feet are first.
I've also ordered a rear shock. Zero rebound left in the old one. It'll probably help with some of my instability issues too.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #175
Mr.Moose OP
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 522
Still enjoying my 1999. Im getting close to hitting 100k i don't think it will happen this year but should be early in 2013! What kind of mileage are others seeing with their C10"s
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #176
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,355
Just stumbled across this thread.
Bought mine from the original owner 4 months ago at 28,000 miles. After getting familiar with it I took off on a 3700 mile ride to northern California.
The bike performed flawlessly in all types of weather and road surfaces.
It's pretty much bone stock with no plans to make any major changes but the bars are a source of major torture. My back pain got so bad I bought a heating pad at the Dollar Store and used it each evening.
It came with bar risers but I need more pullback. I've looked at Buck's re-machining of the stock bars but I'm open to suggestions.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #177
Mr.Moose OP
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Just stumbled across this thread.
Bought mine from the original owner 4 months ago at 28,000 miles. After getting familiar with it I took off on a 3700 mile ride to northern California.
The bike performed flawlessly in all types of weather and road surfaces.
It's pretty much bone stock with no plans to make any major changes but the bars are a source of major torture. My back pain got so bad I bought a heating pad at the Dollar Store and used it each evening.
It came with bar risers but I need more pullback. I've looked at Buck's re-machining of the stock bars but I'm open to suggestions.

MrBob- Welcome. Great looking bike. If you haven't already I would recommend checking out the Concours Owners Group. Its a great group and there is a ton on knowledge there. I love that you bike is basicly stock. There are a lot of cool add on's for the C-10 but there so good stock i haven't found there to be much of a need.
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #178
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Moose View Post
MrBob- Welcome. Great looking bike. If you haven't already I would recommend checking out the Concours Owners Group. Its a great group and there is a ton on knowledge there. I love that you bike is basicly stock. There are a lot of cool add on's for the C-10 but there so good stock i haven't found there to be much of a need.
I joined last September to show gratitude for all the assistance given in the tech forum. The Connie is not without its quirks but it seems the quirks are understood and addressed by several vendors.
I rebuilt the petcock with a Murph's kit and had the J box rebuild by Buck's.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #179
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 441
Here's my 2000, somewhere on the Pig Trail in Arkansas:

77k miles now. Has had few issues, but will list them below:

-Water pump went at about 50k.
-Rear shock failed at 60k, started leaking and was replaced with a Progressive 465.
-Ignition coils failed last month. Replacements from Kawasaki are a new design, with permanently attached wires. Was able to source a spare set from a friend and fellow COG member.
-O-ring where the driveshaft meets the bevel gear case on the motor is starting to leak.
-Had a few leaking seals here and there.

All small issues, the coils were the only time that the bike left me stranded. Hoping to get 100k out of this, if only to see the odometer roll over.
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #180
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Wow, these are nice looking bikes, with plenty of power and lots of electrical output for heated gear too. I've been reading up on these somewhat and just might have to put this on my next bike list...
Thanks for the topic/posts/information, Tony