Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
EdM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Seeking opinions on the Kia Soul

Good day:

Hoping there might be some Kia Soul owners who will offer their opinions on this vehicle.

Although would primarily be used for local trips would be especially interested in comments on highway riding (with max speed 70 or slightly above) and also if you feel it is a decent choice if you only had one car?

Thank you.

Ned
EdM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM View Post
Good day:

Hoping there might be some Kia Soul owners who will offer their opinions on this vehicle.

Although would primarily be used for local trips would be especially interested in comments on highway riding (with max speed 70 or slightly above) and also if you feel it is a decent choice if you only had one car?

Thank you.

Ned
I don't have one, I have a Fiesta, so thusly I'll opine

Hamsters for advertising still (should be enough to turn you away), and all I've seen is women driving them. Gas mileage ain't so hot either.
- In Memory of Amanda Cassady
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,141
All I know is watching a lady in Ontario a few years ago trying to get her Soul over a small hump of snow (about 4" deep and 2' wide). She was still spinning when I left ( we were stuck in traffic due to an accident). I do not think they do well in the snow.....
Old 03-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,054
[insert cheeky, gratuitous TDI reference here]

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 35,986
I test drove the bigger engine one (2.0 IIRC) with the standard transmission.

If it's just to get from point A to point B locally it's perfect. It has nice power for a car of that class, and lots of room while still being short/easy to park. BUT and this is the big but for that car long distance driving is so so (I went from ABQ to Santa Fe in one) and for handling you definitely feel that it's a box. But neither of those were things you were looking for so I'd give it a for you.

Another car I like is the Chevy Sonic since it feels a lot better driving around just it's too small for my feet.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
[insert cheeky, gratuitous tdi reference here]
+1
Old 03-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
its a wheenie wagon dont do it.
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
low-post lurker

Oddometer: 204
I got a 2010 when they first came out for the Wife. She loves it. Absolutely trouble-free. Roomy inside yet compact outside. We've done several 4-5 hr trips at 70-80 with no issues or dis-comfort at all. My 6' son fits in the back seat without hitting his head. We get low-30's mpg normally. If you drive mindfully, you can get 35 or so.
A choice if you only had one car IMHO.

396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
My 87 year old mother bought one last year. I've driven it and have to say I'm very impressed with it. It is the 2U model with automatic. Perfect small vehicle for her to go shopping etc.

Stay away from the 4U model as it has the deluxe package which includes 45 series tires on 18" wheels (mucho low profile). The 2U has 55 series tires on 16" wheels. You can put on 15" steel rims with 65 series tires. I mention tire profile because the Soul is typical of modern cars in that it doesn't have a lot of suspension travel and what it has is firm. Add low profile tires and it pounds a bit on frost heaves and potholes.

The biggest bonus to the car is the nicely squared off "A" pillar that results in a more upright windshield. Entry and exit is very easy because the higher roofline means you don't have to bend down to get in. Visibility to the front is excellent. Good rear seat room, full size adults fit in. One downside is that there is limited space behind the rear seat. OK for half a dozen bags of groceries, but you'll need to fold part or all of the rear seat for larger stuff.

The 6 speed auto works well and shitfs smoothly. On the highway with cruise engaged, it drops back a gear on large hills. No spike in revs or other drama; slips back into top gear nicely. This would be a very fun car with a manual transmission. It handles with confidence and the upright seating position makes it feel like you are in a larger vehicle. What could be improved? It has some highway noise which is probably from the stock tires. A bit softer suspension and more insulation would turn it into a good highway car. If it had 12" more space behind the rear seat, practicality would be even better.

I consider it a superb city scooter and fine for 2 or 3 hour trips. I usually detest driving modern cars because they are so cramped, but the Soul is a refreshing change from the typical jellybean shaped cars of today.

(EDIT: Goes OK in snow if you know how to drive; would benefit from proper snow tires if you lived in the countryside).

Neil E. screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 12:31 PM
Neil E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
EdM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Thank you for the replies (although I admit the "tdi reference" is lost on me).

Both wife and I are age 70. Currently have a Camry and a Chevy Aveo. Initial thought was to retain the Camry and replace the Aveo but then started thinking perhaps we could get by with just one auto.

Driving on snow is rare for us.

Ned
EdM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
You may like the Soul a lot. As we get older, we lose some flexibilty, and bending down to get into low vehicles is difficult. The Soul is very good in this regard. Be sure to try one out to see how it compares to your other choices.
Neil E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,371
Someone will always ask

Are you a Hamster?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,749
So, I drive like 50 rentals a year from X5's, Caddies, Blandmobiles, Mustangs, Flex's, Lexus, Lincoln's and everything else.

I liked the X5, 300 and Soul best. A fun, comfy, econo car that's fine at normal highway speeds.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,269
I have no idea on it mechanically, but I think it looks great. I like the interior too. I'd have one in a minute (at least for my wife) if our situation allowed for it.
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,623
My wife bought one in 2010. We've been married for 33 years now, so she's had more than a few cars (300E Merc, 530i BMW among them) and this one has been, hands down, her favorite. She absolutely loves it. Most of the other reviews here are spot on, its a great city car and adequate for longer trips although thats not its strong point. Hers has almost 50k mostly city miles now and has been as reliable as the proverbial swiss watch. Neither one of us is a spring chicken anymore and she really appreciates the ease of getting in and out as she does it many times per day making sales calls. She gets 28MPG city consistently, we've seen 32 on the highway. Her 2010 has the older Beta II 2.0 litre and the older 4 speed auto. The new 2.0 and 6 speed auto should do a bit better, but as always: YMMV.

Our daughter bought a 2013 Kia Rio, it has also been quite impressive for one of the most inexpensive cars available. The kid is getting 33MPG in the city. She just left for her first road trip today, I'll have to ask her how her highway mileage was. You might look at that model as well.
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: