Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #136
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
Do not be yourself. Be engaging.

As luck would have it, I was wearing a Haas shirt that day. I didn't plan it, but I got about a million comments about it. My teacher LOVED it.

This guy noticed the shirt, too, and mentioned that he just bought a Mazak 5-axis machine.

Unfortunately, my next break is Thanksgiving.. hopefully he remembers me by then.

crazydrummerdude who? Bugger off!

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #137
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
Unfortunately, my next break is Thanksgiving.. hopefully he remembers me by then.
Ok. I will meet with that guy next weekend.

I wish I could keep updating this thread with awesomeness; pictures, etc. But, really, it's been the same ol'. Casting, testing, etc.

In case you missed it in the Ninja Skillz thread, we were given the task of making our own casting again. Well, I got to know AK this summer, so I made one for her.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=11503

All I can say is that we used a different mold than last time..

Anyway, it's been the same rotation of pouring/testing/etc.

We've been given a final project, and my group is essentially worthless. I've done 99.9% of the work so far, and anticipate doing the rest of it. The instructor sees this and is giving me a grade, but their lack of a grade isn't motivation enough for them to participate. Oh well, losers...

But, as a side note, I got a tour of a steel mill today in Arkansas. I was told "this is where the devil lives." I was standing next to a ~150 ton arc furnace while it was poured off.

The devil lives there, indeed.

Dark, smokey, and smelly with 3000 degree molten metal just screaming as it was bouncing off the ceiling. Holy ____, it was AWESOME.

If only I had a camera...

Registration for next semester was a week ago. I am signed up for a CNC class and a glass blowing class (scoff, if you will.. I think it will be cool).

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 06:43 AM
Old 11-08-2010, 06:58 AM   #138
Adventure Kitty
Tuna Gatita Blanca

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
All I can say is that we used a different mold than last time..

Nice going! Now everybody will know who you are!

It is a nice numinum rock though.
Adventure Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #139
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Kitty
It is a nice numinum rock though.
Thank you!

Unforunately, my group poured the other groups, and vice versa. It would have been nice to actually pour that particular piece myself, but oh well..

Quote:
We've been given a final project, and my group is essentially worthless. I've done 99.9% of the work so far, and anticipate doing the rest of it. The instructor sees this and is giving me a grade, but their lack of a grade isn't motivation enough for them to participate. Oh well, losers...
Essentially? What's a better word... absolutely, comprehensively, wholly, utterly, thoroughly worthless.

Begin rant:
Let me remind the viewers at home that I'm an aerospace engineer. I am not a metallurgical engineer, and I often feel in over my head with some of the theory and vocabulary. But, I dig deeper. Additionally, I am a senior with like 19(?) credit hours this semester.

My fellow group members are all metallurgical engineers, and all give the aura that they've got a light course load. Apart from the first mass email, I have been the one sending emails out about meeting times and locations and agendas. If I get any response, I'm lucky. ONCE did other members show up. For an hour. After an hour, the two (I don't know where the third guy was) said "I don't know how." in a whiney voice and left. Well, neither do I, but guess what?!

One day, I wrote a memo full of theory and pictures, and sample calculations, and put my name on it. I was waiting for 2 hours in the lab before the lab began for SOMEONE to just show up. If they did, I would put their name on it, too. No one did. So, I turned it in with only my name on it. The next lab, the professor asked;
"Where's your other group members?"
"I don't know, but here's a memo I wrote."
"Did they write anything?"
"I don't know, I was hoping to hear from them, but never did."
"Ok, I guess I'll grade this, then."
[One group member walks in.]
"Did you write a memo?"
"Um, no, uh, we couldn't."
"Well, Nathan handed me this. I'll accept and grade it."
"It probably won't be a very good grade," I said.
"Well, then, I'll multiply your grade by 4 since you were supposed to have 4 people working on it."
"Heh. Ok."

A week of my scheduled meetings went by with me being the only attendee before the next lab. I turned in another memo, and the sand mixer was broken, so lab was called off after we all arrived. Well, me and one other guy from my group of four. Two were still MIA. The professor said to the TA, "Well, Nathan turned in another memo for his group." My other group member said, "Yay, Nathan!" I gave a . The professor turned to him and said, "What are you so happy about? He has a grade. You don't." I had to try pretty hard to contain my laughter. WTF?!

Well, after that lab, the professor had groups sign up for separate times to pour the first iteration of our design project (of which I created the entire gating system out of foam while the other guy stood there, confusing me with random unrelated ramblings) after the machine was scheduled to be back running. That guy and I agreed on Monday at 2:30. For the next hour and a half, I worked on the machine with the TA. The TA sent out a reminder email this morning, and I sent out an additional reminder email to my group.

I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO SHOWED UP.

Rant off.

Week 12, 11-08-10:

This is the mold drag.

It is a railcar brake piece, scaled down to be managable. No one has designed a proper gating system for it, yet. There is a core piece that contains the features of the end of the piece (shown in the next picture). The cope has a few features that aren't worth showing.

Here is my mold drag. I burnt the foam gating system out with a torch and applied glue to hopefully keep everything together. Although it is sand, the resin gets it rock hard.. the glue works.

I made the cope and attached it. You can see my pouring cup, and 3 risers. They, too, were foam that I torched out.

It will be poured on Wednesday.

I wonder who's going to tell my group that they're failing? Losers.

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 06:38 PM
Old 11-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #140
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Week 12 continued, 11-10-10:

We poured. I poured. My boot was on fire and I didn't notice.

The top of my pouring basin and risers were all still glowing long after they were poured.

This is what it takes:

..to make:

It's weird that on the opposite sides of my risers, the casting was coarse. I cut it open in a few spots to see if there was any porosity or anything:

Not too shabby.

Now I gotta make another design.. I wrote a program in MatLab to calculate all the theoretical areas and spacings based on the material. All I have to do is cut the styrofoam to shape.

Edit: I don't think I ever said; this is ductile iron.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #141
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Is anyone out there?

Week 14, 12-1-10:

I decided to bring my good camera today. The cell phone shots just don't do it justice.

Preheating the ladle.

Pouring a chemistry sample.

..in the ATAS.

Knocking off the slag. A piece went down a girl (my coworker) 's shoe and she ran off to the side and her boyfriend pulled her shoe off and just stared at her burning sock. She was ok.

Inoculating. In other words, sprinkling the magic dust.

Tapping.

..another chemistry sample.

Pouring the mold. Lost foam. Don't breath the black smoke.

My mold.

I dare you to touch it.

The casting + gating + risers.. and some flash. The saw was not cooperating today, so I'll save it for tomorrow.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #142
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,396
Very very cool.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #143
Zebedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Is anyone out there? ...
Yup, and loving the better quality pics ...

Sorry but my addled memory has failed me. Have you explained the whys and wherefores of what's involved in checking the chemistry at the various stages?

If you have already, just tell me where to look ...

Keep up the good work

John
Old 12-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #144
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Sorry but my addled memory has failed me. Have you explained the whys and wherefores of what's involved in checking the chemistry at the various stages?
Well, you're in luck since I work in the foundry, too. I was part of the charge calculations yesterday.

Basically, we're pouring to a grade. In this case, it's 60-40-18 ductile iron, which means it's got a tensile strength of >60,000psi, yield strength of >40,000 psi, and > 18% elongation. To get this, it takes a specific mixture of C, Si, Mn, P, S, Cr, Mo, Ni, Al, Cu, Ti, V, Sn, Mg, Fe, etc. That's what the arc spectrometer shows.

Anyways, we vary the grade by varying the constituents. We use a weighted spreadsheet that tells us how much (pounds/kg) of a specific metal we need to throw in. Yesterday, I weighed out Sorel (pig iron), superseed, steel punchings, graphite, left over ductile iron, and some other stuff. I was shooting for a specific amount of each without getting anal about it. The spread sheet then told me what else of each kind of scrap (or whatever) we need to throw in to achieve the right percentage of the aforementioned elements.

Then, when it's all melted down, a chemistry sample is taken with the ATAS system (tellirium in a ceramic(?) cup with a thermocouple fed to a laptop) to record the cooling data and a permanent mold. Then, innoculant is added into the stream when it is tapped from the furnace into the ladle. Everything gets all crackly and sparkly. Then, another chemistry sample is taken. Finally, it is poured.

To elaborate:
The chemistry samples involve the ATAS cooling data (from the thermocouple) and a specific permanent mold of just the metal (no thermocouple). The ATAS cooling curve has certain characteristics that indicate the presence of certain elements. (My professor, and the guy that runs the foundry can spot this and that really easily. For us mortals, taking the derivative of the cooling curve really shows the interactions via peaks in the curve.) The permanent mold part of the process is for a crystallographic/microstructure view. It is cut, magnified, and analyzed... as a sample of what our actual castings are, without damaging or modifying them.

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 08:46 PM
Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #145
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Very very cool.
..and this was only the 100 pound furnace. I toured Nucor-Yamato steel in Arkansas a month ago. 150 ton furnace. THAT was very, very cool.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #146
duckrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Very interesting thread, thanks!
duckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #147
Zebedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
... clip ...
The chemistry samples involve the ATAS cooling data ...
Thanks for the explanation.

I understood almost all of it ... except when you start referring to psi. I'm more of a N & mm² kind of guy myself ...

Nice one

John
Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #148
SirWrecksAlot
Slowventurer

Oddometer: 10,335
That's awesome.

SirWrecksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #149
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Thanks for the explanation.

I understood almost all of it
I don't even understand it.

PS: It looks like this thread will last a semester longer than I intended. My daydreams have already started to drift to the CNC classes I'm taking next semester (my last as an undergrad).

But, I've got some ideas for building my own waste oil furnace for a forge and foundry. I just need a break from school..

Old 12-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #150
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
did you ever figure out the "coursness" on the other side of the casting? Just as a wild guess it's surface porosity from air/gas not being able to evacute the cavity. Might it be clinging to the surface due to surface adhesion?

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: