Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #211
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
it seems like the guy is stuck in the 80's/90's. I can't tell you how many times he's talked about punch tape, and how "machines these days are starting to take floppy disks!" We've already had one lecture about punch tape, and he didn't even cover all the punch tape material he's going to.
maybe he's seen your sig line of bikes???

you learn more about machining, machining on old manual stuff
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #212
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
maybe he's seen your sig line of bikes???

I don't have any 80's or 90's bikes.

I agree that you learn a lot about machining by working on manual stuff, but that's what ME153 was for. I made a clock. I know I'm not an expert now at machining because of it, but you'd think that with at least three other CNC labs in this building the graduate level CNC class (ME353) would use a modern CNC mill to teach the CNC users/designers of the future... or, at least something closer to the cutting edge of the technology than the blunt mid-section. I am confident I learned more about CNC programming in a day on nearly-brand-new mills and lathes at an internship this summer by digging into a program and writing and editing code than the three weeks so far of typing block by block what someone tells me to on a machine that is this -----> <----- close to using punch tape.. and even closer to crashing and never recovering.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 02-05-2011 at 09:09 PM
crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #213
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
I am confident I learned more about CNC programming in a day on nearly-brand-new mills and lathes at an internship this summer by digging into a program and writing and editing code than the three weeks so far of typing block by block what someone tells me to on a machine that is this -----> <----- close to using punch tape.. and even closer to crashing and never recovering.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

You are correct, but the class you are in is designed around the other 30 people who don't come, don't pay attention, and would have crashed their pretty new mills.

Perhaps if early on you had gone to the advisor they might have been able to slide you over into a real class.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #214
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Perhaps if early on you had gone to the advisor they might have been able to slide you over into a real class.
Ouch. Define "real class." I wanted a CNC class, and this is it.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #215
jamesgs4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
(Yeah, there were 16 weeks of lab, and one guy showed up once and the other guy twice. There were 32 lectures and the latter guy also only showed up twice. What a winner!)

I am rather surprised at the lack of discipline in general.

I saw the meowing guy the other day. He just stared at me. I don't know if he was mad because he got a bad grade (hopefully) or if he was just lost in some meow-fest in his head. I genuinely hope the other lying loser failed. He shouldn't be rewarded for selfish, piss-poor behavior. If I ever see him again, I don't know what we'd have to say to each other.

Changing the subject slightly; There's a guy at school here who sneaks around and spray paints the buildings and gets where he's not supposed to. Once, he fell out of a drop ceiling right in front of the school cops. He was busted, but not punished. Another time, he physically broke into (by smashing out the window) a storage closet and started stealing trash bags full of chemicals. He was caught. He still attends classes here (just saw him yesterday) and still lives in the dorms, I believe. Shouldn't people like that either be kicked out or in jail?
It sounds like you go to school in a 1980's college comedy movie.
jamesgs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #216
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgs4 View Post
It sounds like you go to school in a 1980's college comedy movie.
Aren't there usually girls in college in the movies, though?

Old 02-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #217
Puddleglum
Precious Snowflake

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Should I post about my senior design project?

Yes, please.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #218
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Ouch. Define "real class." I wanted a CNC class, and this is it.
Hey you said there was a masters level course, often you can get special permissions to join those courses despite not having prerequirements, or being in a masters level program.

That's what I mean by "real" class.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #219
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,787
graduate level machinist class???

you going for a PE?
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #220
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Hey you said there was a masters level course, often you can get special permissions to join those courses despite not having prerequirements, or being in a masters level program.

That's what I mean by "real" class.
This class is ME353. 300-level classes are graduate level. I think it's half-seniors and half-grad students. I heard a rumor that there is a ME453, but I can't confirm it.

Quote:
you going for a PE?
No.
I wanted to take ME153 for fun. I did.. and started this thread.
I wanted to take Met307 & 308 (casting) for fun. I did.. and did all the work myself.
I discovered ME153 and Met307, combined with Fatigue (ME336), Fracture Mechanics (ME344), and Aerospace Materials (AE377) got me a minor in Materials.
I got an internship over the summer where I ran CNC's.
I decided I wanted to take a CNC class (ME353), too.
Turns out that I can use ME353 for my remaining 300-level departmental technical elective.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #221
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Week 3: February 11, 2011

Today, we drilled three 0.25" holes in the middle of a 4"x7" wax block. Then, we faced it with a 0.5" endmill with 0.3" overlap. So, we watched 35 passes.

Then, on to EasyCAM. We learned a little bit of the interface between the computer and the Bridgeport. Excellent.. but did I mention it's a Windows 3.0 machine and EasyCAM is DOS-based? The lack of technology is confusing.

The Bridgeport only crashed twice.

As I type this, the meowing guy from my former casting group is on the other side of the computer lab blaring some anime/techno/metal song from his phone and bopping/humming along with it.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #222
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Actually making something, on a manual mill for example, is about the biggest brain teaser around.

I do one of's, so the first problem is how to clamp it, then figure out which cutter and all the speeds and feeds. Then start making swarf, of course the order you make the cuts can make or break it. Cut away a surface you need for the next clamping phase, well, you're just fucked.

It's like a 3-D puzzle with a passage thru time element thrown in. I can see why they had to come up with the CNC stuff. Compound curvature is impossible on a manual, you needed a tracer mill and a model to indicate off. CNC does that much faster and cheaper, and once the operater or programmer sets up the machine; push the start button. And stand there watching the liquid show behind the doors. But learning how to program/run that CNC is not something most people can do.
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #223
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
Anyone know the best way for a complete idiot to take a SolidWorks file and have it operate a 3-axis CNC?

Pay close attention to the "complete idiot" part of that request.

Really close attention.

Really!

And no, I don't have a burning desire to completely learn how to write G-Code. So any easy way that is fairly idiot-proof is preferable.

Thanx.
No G-coding? EasyCAM, MasterCAM, etc. Click lines on the screen, enter speeds/feeds and coolant, save file to CNC, load part, begin, feed hold, flip the part, continue, take the part out, pat yourself on the back.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #224
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
F**K you.

I understood about two lines of that.

For simple doo-dads, the G-code is easy. I can easily read and understand programs for such. I'm going to be writing a bit of it, too, in this class.

For complex curves, you'd need to import the solid model into a CAM program, click lines/surfaces for the tool paths and areas to be removed, and let the computer do the programming for you. That is actually pretty difficult to get your head around the first few times. I've done it a couple times and still need someone to hold my hand through the process.

With the amount of nerds in the world, I'd bet there is some freeware out there that will allow you to turn your PC into a CNC controller.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #225
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

You don't need anything fancy to be the CNC brain.

What kind of mill do you have? Would the CNC conversion possibly come with a USB interface? You could just use a jump drive and go back and forth. Also, does the CNC kit make the machine a dedicated CNC, or can you still run it manually?

DRO sure is handy. In a perfect world, you'd have a CNC mill and a manual mill with DRO.

That's a pretty cheap MasterCAM license.. is it legit?

Where's Donkey Hotey to give you way more information than you knew you needed to know?

Where's dagwood to curse us all?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: