Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #31
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand
seems like you care enough to take a class only if it "counts" - i.e. took this for a 3rd minor... ;D
Nope. Music Appreciation, Music Theory 1, Music Theory 2, Guitar 1, Guitar 2, English 2, and probably a couple others don't count for anything. I was taking them for fun while I built up my math since my degree starts counting math at Calculus 1. Since I placed in Beginning Algebra (), I had like 2 years of fluff classes surrounding my math (Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry) up to Calc 1.

I got a math minor because it was just 2 more math classes outside my degree. My degree counts Calc 1, Calc 2, Calc 3, Diff Eq, and one more of the students choice. Since I transferred to the university, I had a year of schedule juggling to get on their course. I took Linear Algebra, Engineering Statistics, and Math Modeling. I had time to finish this and;

My explosives minor (and certificate) has absolutely nothing in common with any other minor or my major. That's for the sheer enjoyment of blowing shit up and having that particular teacher.

What sparked my interest in a Materials minor was the Manufacturing Technology class. Then, I heard some girl talking about taking a glass blowing class. I though that'd be cool, but in the search for finding it, I saw Metals Casting. So, I chose that.

In other words, these are classes I want to (and do) take, but I might as well make them count for something, right?

Quote:
btw, what are you going to do after you graduate?
I hope to become a rich and famous musician.

/life story

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 01-25-2010 at 02:02 PM
crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #32
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,702
I was gonna work at the foundry but just couldn't cope. Just as well, as I found it all to be a drag.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #33
GTomic
Sanguine

Oddometer: 13,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
I was gonna work at the foundry but just couldn't cope. Just as well, as I found it all to be a drag.

The pattern of shrinkage will shake out after a cupola coffee, slag.

GTomic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #34
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

"[Machining] seriously takes absolutely no skill at all. It's so easy." said the guy with the popped collar standing next to me. Both labs, he's been the one who shuffles his feet the loudest (why do people do that on bare concrete?), doesn't wear the lab jacket, and is the only one in class who puts his safety glasses on the top of his head.

Week 3: I cast my little styrofoam shot glass. We set it up in the same cope/drag, with the green sand. We didn't jolt/squeeze it, though, but packed it in by hand. It's pretty rough, so I think I'm going to put it on the lathe on my own at home. Some other kid made a plum bob, someone made a cube () and I couldn't really tell what the other stuff was. I'll post some pictures (and a video) Friday.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #35
BubbaZanetti
for a corrector life

Oddometer: 13,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
Nope. Music Appreciation, Music Theory 1, Music Theory 2, Guitar 1, Guitar 2, English 2, and probably a couple others don't count for anything. I was taking them for fun while I built up my math since my degree starts counting math at Calculus 1. Since I placed in Beginning Algebra (), I had like 2 years of fluff classes surrounding my math (Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry) up to Calc 1.

I got a math minor because it was just 2 more math classes outside my degree. My degree counts Calc 1, Calc 2, Calc 3, Diff Eq, and one more of the students choice. Since I transferred to the university, I had a year of schedule juggling to get on their course. I took Linear Algebra, Engineering Statistics, and Math Modeling. I had time to finish this and;

My explosives minor (and certificate) has absolutely nothing in common with any other minor or my major. That's for the sheer enjoyment of blowing shit up and having that particular teacher.

What sparked my interest in a Materials minor was the Manufacturing Technology class. Then, I heard some girl talking about taking a glass blowing class. I though that'd be cool, but in the search for finding it, I saw Metals Casting. So, I chose that.

In other words, these are classes I want to (and do) take, but I might as well make them count for something, right?

/life story
so you've been in school for about 12 years is what you're trying to say

i don't think i ever took a class in college that required standing up. fyi, minors count for nothing outside college, not that it matters, its why i switched one to a dual major and only took history and political science classes for 2 straight years.
BubbaZanetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #36
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,506
Did you watch the videos?

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/videos/showcase

Warm rubber an lube are key. Taking the Tourance off is the easy part. The new Tourances are meaty and tough, again warm rubber.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #37
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 2,000
rolla...i'm guessing you go to UMR/MS&T. There's a wire EDM somewhere on campus that some of the design team students have access to for cutting their parts. when i took ME153, some had access to the EDM so they made cool things like their greek frat letters. for designing, i think you just use autocad. probably won't have access unless you're on a team (join baja ). just cast the entire block and take it to a recycling center for some cash.

is randall teaching the class?
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #38
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #39
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,192
Quote:
i can't help with that, but i couldda maybe helped w/ that ae thing. ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti
fyi, minors count for nothing outside college.
except for languages.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #40
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmgf7
rolla...i'm guessing you go to UMR/MS&T.
Maybe.

Quote:
is randall teaching the class?
I believe so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02
Did you watch the videos?

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/videos/showcase

Warm rubber an lube are key. Taking the Tourance off is the easy part. The new Tourances are meaty and tough, again warm rubber.

Who are you talking to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti
so you've been in school for about 12 years is what you're trying to say
Pretty much. Started off half time at the community college.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, though.

Quote:
fyi, minors count for nothing outside college
My math minor might not count for anything. But, my explosives minor and what little I have of my materials minor so far, have actually both led to job leads.

Quote:
I'll post some pictures (and a video) Friday.
Quote:
I just started drinking and dicking around with it last night. I ended up carving a... goblet... the size of a double shot glass.

Quote:
We set it up in the same cope/drag, with the green sand. We didn't jolt/squeeze it, though, but packed it in by hand.

I will end up machining it. I suppose I could have used a soldering gun or something on the original styrofoam mold, but I didn't have any on hand.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:32 AM   #41
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,023
Well, at least it's not a pipe.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #42
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72
1. Take a block of aluminum (or whatever you like) and machine a cube with dimensions of 2.000" x 2.000" plus/minus .001

2. Locate center of each side and bore a 1.000" diameter round hole on each side of the cube to a depth of .500"

Make sure your set-up is rock solid and the soon to created inside cube is well clamped and supported. Good set-up practice...

Finish up with a boring bar set-up to clean up. Hand manipulation of the mill table will be needed.

3. The resulting cube inside of a cube will mess with the average persons mind. Truly fitting a square peg through a round hole.

Don't forget to break all edges and de-burr as required and use all appropriate PPE.

I made one of those several years ago. I bead blasted the finished product so the tool marks are harder to see and it really does mess with people. I've had all kinds of excuses thrown at me like "you heated up the outside so you could stretch it enough to get the little cube inside"

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #43
deaconjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Pretty cool example of CNC Here.
2000 KX 250
deaconjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #44
deaconjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Sorry, here.
2000 KX 250
deaconjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #45
Puddleglum
Precious Snowflake

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72
1. Take a block of aluminum (or whatever you like) and machine a cube with dimensions of 2.000" x 2.000" plus/minus .001

2. Locate center of each side and bore a 1.000" diameter round hole on each side of the cube to a depth of .500"

Make sure your set-up is rock solid and the soon to created inside cube is well clamped and supported. Good set-up practice...

Finish up with a boring bar set-up to clean up. Hand manipulation of the mill table will be needed.

3. The resulting cube inside of a cube will mess with the average persons mind. Truly fitting a square peg through a round hole.

Don't forget to break all edges and de-burr as required and use all appropriate PPE.
Your dimensions are a little off. The diameter of the hole you bore needs to be slightly less than the distance between two diagonally opposite corners of a face of the captured cube. When you bore .500" deep into a cube with an edge length of 2 inches, the diameter of your hole needs to be around 1.4 inches, depending on how much material you want to leave to hold the captured cube.

The dimensions of the Machinist's cube below are:

Edge length 2"
Hole diameter 1: 1.394" bored .500" deep
Hole diameter 2: .687" bored .250" deep

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: