Originally Posted by Puddleglum
snip
Cool!

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #47
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,435
Week 4: In lab this week, we did various forms of welding. Nothing too exciting or exotic. But, I did some oxy-acetylene welding for the first time. Easy stuff. I should do it more often. I got a video, if anyone's interested.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #48
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,222
My Mom owned a casting foundry for years before I went in the Army. I loved working there. I made patterns, poured the metals (silicon and white bronze, aluminum, silver) and finished metals. It was a great job till the frickin Chinese started to make everything we made for a few pennies on the dollar out of pot metal.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #49
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,769
If you get another go at casting, how about some finned end caps to fill the ends of a 6" diameter aluminum tube? It's for an oil tank for my Triumph bobber dream.
Or if something more involved is possible ,how about a complete "bee hive" tank. About 3 and 1/2 quarts please.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #50
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker
If you get another go at casting
Next semester, I'll take an all casting class.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #51
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Week 5: It was "optional." We were told that if we wanted to go to the lab and re-do whatever and work 1-on-1 with the TA's, we could. Hell f'ing yes, I want to go do more of this. So, I went to the lab. It was empty. There was a sign telling any interested students to go to the TA's office. They weren't there. So, apparently, out of a 200 student class, I am/was the only one who is interested in this stuff. This experience reminded me that it's a freshman/sophomore mechanical engineering class, and "optional" means "dude, bro, we totally don't have to go, and it doesn't matter."

I was looking forward to oxy/acetylene welding some more. Oh well, I have the right tip on my rig at home..

Week 6: This was the least hands-on lab we've had so far, but it was taught by the actual course instructor, instead of the TAs. I learned quite a bit; information that will come in handy for the rest of my metal-forming life.. but, no one else cared.

Next week, we go to the machine shop. Why, oh why isn't this required for my aerospace peers? Hands on work?! pfft, that's so below us AE's. Yeah, right...

Old 02-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #52
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,935
I agree, its almost impossible to do extra work in some colleges, the teachers bail just as quick as the teachers.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #53
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
the teachers bail just as quick as the teachers.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #54
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,935
Eh you know what I mean... Small amount of PUI this time of night.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #55
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
Small amount of PUI
I'm way ahead of you.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #56
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey

Is that a weapon?
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #57
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 9,892
I figured it was one piece, it's aerospace related (his major) and it doesn't have any vertical surfaces to contend with. As aircraft go, that's probably the easiest one to cast out of something. Plus, it isn't something he could easily machine unless he had a CNC (one of his criterion). It's also fairly constant in cross section so shrinkage and cooling problems should be minimal

With a piece of foam and some pictures, you could carve up a plug that would look pretty close and make a casting out of it. It could be hand finished against a belt sander and the flaws would not be so obvious in the final product (it's already kind of a blob shape).

He went for a shot glass instead. At least we know he was PUI when he came up with his final idea.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #58
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
I figured it was one piece, it's aerospace related (his major) and it doesn't have any vertical surfaces to contend with. As aircraft go, that's probably the easiest one to cast out of something. Plus, it isn't something he could easily machine unless he had a CNC (one of his criterion). It's also fairly constant in cross section so shrinkage and cooling problems should be minimal

With a piece of foam and some pictures, you could carve up a plug that would look pretty close and make a casting out of it. It could be hand finished against a belt sander and the flaws would not be so obvious in the final product (it's already kind of a blob shape).

He went for a shot glass instead. At least we know he was PUI when he came up with his final idea.

Hey now, next semester, I'll be taking an all casting class. I'm not done with this minor yet! We'll probably have the opportunity to make another styrofoam mold. I was thinking maybe a skull shifter knob for my Model A.

But, we'll see..

Old 02-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #59
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewhl
Is that a weapon?
No, it's a fookin boomerang.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #60
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
Why, oh why isn't this required for my aerospace peers? Hands on work?! pfft, that's so below us AE's. Yeah, right...
i personally think it's useful for engineers to have some hands on experience, but hardly necessary. and certainly not casting for ae's. what do you think most ae's do, and how do you think this would be useful?
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: