Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #61
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand
i personally think it's useful for engineers to have some hands on experience, but hardly necessary.
That depends on what they're going to do. If they're going to actually be designing parts, they sure as hell should have manufacturing experience. Unfortunately, most don't. Then they design things that can't be manufactured. And that's why machinists think that most engineers are booger pickin' morons.

There's nothing more fun than 4" deep pocketed structure with 0.125 corner radius ("sure, we can clean out those corners with a 6" long, 1/4" endmill " ).
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #62
tkpinsc
heavily moderated

Oddometer: 13,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
No, it's a fookin boomerang.
Boomerangs are weapons.

It has been the political career of this man to begin with hypocrisy, proceed with arrogance, and finish with contempt.
—Thomas Paine (1776)
tkpinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #63
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
That depends on what they're going to do. If they're going to actually be designing parts, they sure as hell should have manufacturing experience. Unfortunately, most don't. Then they design things that can't be manufactured. And that's why machinists think that most engineers are booger pickin' morons. There's nothing more fun than 4" deep pocketed structure with 0.125 corner radius ("sure, we can clean out those corners with a 6" long, 1/4" endmill " ).
got all that which is why i think it's helpful, but what you're really concerned about there is design experience and how it translates into a real part- not whether they know how to actually do the casting. very different than what's being described in this class (which crazydrummer is wondering about why it's not required), and you need to actually start from the design portion of it and see how your decisions affect the part in manufacturing if you're going to get any better at it.

packing sand and pouring metal in week 2 doesn't address any of that. most of the time you just start "doing" without the "designing" part isn't going to teach the engineering student any of that (although it is a lot more fun). ;D
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #64
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,562
Quote:
got all that which is why i think it's helpful, but what you're really concerned about there is design experience and how it translates into a real part- not whether they know how to actually do the casting. very different than what's being described in this class (which crazydrummer is wondering about why it's not required), and you need to actually start from the design portion of it and see how your decisions affect the part in manufacturing if you're going to get any better at it.

packing sand and pouring metal in week 2 doesn't address any of that. most of the time you just start "doing" without the "designing" part isn't going to teach the engineering student any of that (although it is a lot more fun). ;D
Tough crowd;

I said the "Why oh why" smarty-pants remark after I said we're going to the machine shop.

I think this class would be beneficial to any engineer (let alone an ae*), because in lecture we talk about very relevant stuff, and in the lab we're able to do some of it. So, I suppose hands-on casting may be of little use to an ae, but I believe that any amount of any kind of hands on work would be beneficial. Remember; the majority of this class is "manufacturing processes" lecture, and machine shop lab. Of all the labs I've been in (physics, chemistry, circuits, (explosives!), etc labs), aero labs are the least hands on.

(*The fact that I'm interested in casting enough to take an all-casting class next semester is independent of my opinion of what ae's should be subjected to.)

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #65
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Lab Week 7; 2-26-10. We watched a History Channel video about the history of machining. Interesting, but.. not necessarily effective. Oh, we went back to the lab and were shown a micrometer. I think I was one of maybe 5 people paying attention. Some of my peers were twirling them around and giving each other dumb looks.

Lab Week 8; 3-5-10. We officially split into groups within the machining portion of this lab class. My first lab was a "measuring" lab. All I had was a pen, and during my test, the only part I had to scratch out and re-do was the vernier caliper part. I got it right the second time...

Lab Week 9; 3-19-10. Finally started machining. I feel like the entire last month(?) was futile. I learned a lot in lecture, but in lab.. eh. Today was my day on the lathe, though. The teacher said this was the hardest part of this course. He scheduled two lab days for the lathe portion. I had it completed in about an hour. The teacher said my parts were "beautiful" and that I'm "on [my] way to an A." Very cool to hear. Pictures to come..

Old 03-20-2010, 12:31 AM   #66
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Sorry those are so boring. Does the school have an advanced machining class? Something you could transfer to?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:14 AM   #67
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,906
CIM was one of my most memorable classes from college. I used to go in early and machine myself some shift knobs and such.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #68
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Explosive Space Modulator

You know you want to make one.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:54 AM   #69
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,511
Cast small airhead cylinders and make a working model.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #70
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse

"Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator"

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #71
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse

Funny, I was just writing up my explosives engineering research project. I've got a whopping 3 pages so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76
Cast small airhead cylinders and make a working model.
Oh, I'm considering it. If you're talkin' BMW airheads, I just gotta think through making the iron/steel/whatever sleeves.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #72
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
Oh, I'm considering it. If you're talkin' BMW airheads, I just gotta think through making the iron/steel/whatever sleeves.
Nah just have them nikasil plated after you have them machined.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #73
AC Swank
Banned

Oddometer: 9,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
The sleeve solution is easy. Use 4130 steel tubing, machine to allow .0015" per inch shrink fit.

If the bore of the casting is 2.50" then the OD of the sleeve should be 2.5045".

AC
AC Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #74
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
i personally think it's useful for engineers to have some hands on experience, but hardly necessary. and certainly not casting for ae's. what do you think most ae's do, and how do you think this would be useful?
If you had to build the crap they draw you'd know.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #75
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair
The sleeve solution is easy. Use 4130 steel tubing, machine to allow .0015" per inch shrink fit.

If the bore of the casting is 2.50" then the OD of the sleeve should be 2.5045".
Aren't you missing a decimal place there?
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: