Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #91
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,506

I know, and they know, it's obsolete.

Bureaucracies..

(My brother and I have one because it's a cool antique, too. We've made a few chips with it, though.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
a drafting instructor grading you on your use of a lettering guide and a t-square.
This brings back memories of junior year of high school (2003) Architectural Drawing (by hand!)..

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 04-09-2010 at 11:28 PM
crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #92
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,363
Obsolete or not, get your mitts on anything stray that you find in the shop. When I was taking the same class, I remember that there were other pieces of equipment that the shop had but, they weren't really integrated into any of the lesson plans. The instructor and his assistant were always stoked when somebody showed an interest in something beyond the scope of the class.

I remember (in no particular order): a surface grinder, heat treat furnace, rockwell hardness tester, optical comparator and a drill grinder. I don't think any of them got used regularly but, they were there for the dorks who got done early. I also got my first CNC exposure in that class with Apple IIe computers, hooked to benchtop lathes. It wasn't much and we were only making little aluminum chess pieces but, that G-code experience jump started me 20 years later. You really never know when or where that stuff will pay off.

During the class, I took on a replacement pinion shaft for my Dad's drill press (the shaft that engaged the quill). The original failed and I wanted to make a replacement shaft with an integral gear (to engage the rack). I got to play with a horizontal indexer with a spacer plate and special gear cutting mills. I threw that drill press away a long time ago but, I kept the shaft I made for it. Memories.

The instructor took me aside and went through the whole theory of making a gear, with both hobbing machines and vertical mills. I covered so many machines, processes and operations with that one part that I can't begin to quantify it for you. Just keep doing what you're doing.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #93
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Man, I'm trying.

The only problem is, the "lab" instructor has 200 of us morons to deal with. When I'm not trying to work ahead, some bozo is trying to make up everything he's slacked on.

Most everything readily available in this shop, we use. Well, the CNC is in the back room, and we might get lucky if we lay eyes on it. Everything else, though..

Grinding was removed from the itinerary for this semester; "not enough time." I actually already have a technical school diploma for tool sharpening.

I'm just trying to soak in what I can at this university.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:34 AM   #94
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
If you had to build the crap they draw you'd know.
i don't have to build it, but i still know- earlier this week, i heard a tech fellow having to tell a relatively senior engineer that we should "never design wings with infinitely sharp edges." but doing the building without the designing still doesn't teach you that- you'd just grind / sand the edge to some arbitrary level of "sharp" and call it good, eh?
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:44 AM   #95
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
OK, time to add the shiny pictures.
Quote:
Week 4: In lab this week, we did various forms of welding. Nothing too exciting or exotic. But, I did some oxy-acetylene welding for the first time. Easy stuff. I should do it more often. I got a video, if anyone's interested.
maybe use some of your time to do some more welding- maybe grab some filler rod this time.
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #96
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
THAT--is almost a complete wasted of time. I can't believe they're even bothering to show you a shaper. Seriously, shapers were hopelessly obsolete when I was taking machining classes back in 1983. No experience is a complete waste but, I'd put using a shaper up there along with a drafting instructor grading you on your use of a lettering guide and a t-square.

Did you hear that click? Dagwood just put me on ignore.

Disclaimer: I own an Atlas shaper but, I bought it because I thought it was a cool antique, not because I found it useful. It's never cut a single chip in my possession.

dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #97
paulthefermenter
excitable boy

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
THAT--is almost a complete wasted of time. I can't believe they're even bothering to show you a shaper. Seriously, shapers were hopelessly obsolete when I was taking machining classes back in 1983. No experience is a complete waste but, I'd put using a shaper up there along with a drafting instructor grading you on your use of a lettering guide and a t-square.

Did you hear that click? Dagwood just put me on ignore.

Disclaimer: I own an Atlas shaper but, I bought it because I thought it was a cool antique, not because I found it useful. It's never cut a single chip in my possession.
I've got to say, even though cad has rendered the drawing board and compass useless, an engineer should still be well schooled in proper lettering and hand drafting technique. Clarity in sketch is a fundamental that will not soon be automated.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #98
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthefermenter
Clarity in sketch is a fundamental that will not soon be automated.
Yes, you may feel that way--and ideally, I agree with you. The reality though, is that I am getting to where I can't even write anymore. I think I started to lose handwriting about 10 years ago and now my printing is going. My hand cramps in 3-4 lines of handwritten text.

And I've never been very good at 3D sketching...or even 2D for that matter. It's good that I'm gifted with extraordinary CAD/CAM skills or, I'd have been dead long ago.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #99
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
I have nothing to do next week (the 16th). Maybe I can convince the teacher to let me play around with some scraps.
Week 12; 4-16-10. Nope. He wouldn't let me do anything.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #100
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,565
I'm sitting in day 4 of a 4 day router CIM training for Komo. Good stuff. All on the computer though. All CNC.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #101
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Week 13 4-21-10;

It was all sanding and polishing our final parts before assembly.

(Rant: I don't know why, but the teacher treats me like I'm some sort of criminal. Since I was planning on missing this weeks lab (on Friday) because I'd be out of town, he and I arranged me to come in Wednesday. I came in, and he gave me the "What are you doing here?" "Oh, I don't know if I can fit you in.." routine. I reminded him to check his notes on our previous meeting. Once in place, we were given tasks to complete and present to him for tips. Every time I went to the desk to be signed off on another step, he'd kick me to the end of the line. One time someone said to him about me; "Oh, he was here first," and the teacher announced to everyone; "He's an ABSENTEE who's just trying to make up for a class that he better have a GOOD reason to miss."

Since day 1 in the machine shop, I've been ahead of schedule. One day, I got 2 weeks of work done; another, 3 weeks. I guess I'm rocking the boat too much.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle
I'm sitting in day 4 of a 4 day router CIM training for Komo. Good stuff. All on the computer though. All CNC.
For the first time, I actually saw the lights on in the CNC lab here. I looked around but no one was there. Can't wait 'til I know something about it. I got lost in a CNC daydream today during lecture.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #102
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,464
Quote:
Week 13 4-21-10;

For the first time, I actually saw the lights on in the CNC lab here. I looked around but no one was there. Can't wait 'til I know something about it. I got lost in a CNC daydream today during lecture.

You just need to find Professor Cumminsman76.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #103
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76
You just need to find Professor Cumminsman76.
Ooohhh really now?

Once this semester's out (May 11), I'll be back in StL for a couple weeks, and (highly) interested in learning something.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #104
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,464
Quote:
Ooohhh really now?

Once this semester's out (May 11), I'll be back in StL for a couple weeks, and (highly) interested in learning something.
But the CNC's are down there. Being out of work I don't have access to anything to show you. What software do they run?

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:22 PM   #105
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76
But the CNC's are down there. Being out of work I don't have access to anything to show you. What software do they run?
Oh, dang. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking Solidworks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: