It's in Chigaco.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #107
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,568
Week 14. 4-30-10;

Well, after polishing and painting (which I think were unnecessary) and more WTF comments from my teacher, it is complete. There are 2 problems I have with my machining (because I'm a perfectionist), but I wont mention them. What I am proud of though, was I hand-fed the table for the bevel along the top of the face. Didn't turn out too bad..

He wrote everyones final grade in the lab on the bottom of their clock. I checked mine after I left the lab.. 100.

Next semesters casting will be fun, too.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #108
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,925
How did you do the state outline? Traced it with pen, then NNC'd it on a Bridgeport? How about the lettering? Stamped?

Nice job. You're hired!
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #109
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

(Unfortunately,) the face details were CNC'ed by the lab instructor. I was (the only one out of our class of like 200) there with him when he did it.

There's more machining in it than it looks. Isn't that always the case?

Old 05-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #110
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
I'm really glad they are giving you the Whole Manual Machinist skills first and foremost. so many schools never get into any Manual true machinist skills before they get right to CNC. just the the basics.
they just turn out CNC opp's. that sucks.

dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #111
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
I'm really glad they are giving you the Whole Manual Machinist skills first and foremost. so many schools never get into any Manual true machinist skills before they get right to CNC. just the the basics.

Yep... BIG difference between a Machinist and an operator...

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #112
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:

Yep. This, and my background, will give me a strong footing into my upcoming foray into CNC machining. That is uncharted territory for me.

Oh, and I used my shaper last night.

But, as half of the thread subject suggests, casting will be my next academic adventure. As of right now, it is my current obsession. I am pouring over backyard how-to documents. In August, before school starts, I am going to (probably design and) build my own refractory. I'm going to start out strong and shoot straight for iron casting capabilities. I have started a spreadsheet of what equipment I want (to make) and in what order. If I really get my nerd on, I will even make a Gantt chart.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #113
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,925
Quote:
...they just turn out CNC opp's. that sucks.
I dunno. Programming absolutely forces you to think about things like depth of cut, feed per tooth, SFM and all of the other things you can do by feel on a manual machine. CNC forces you into the science of machining.

Of course, we agree that you have to learn the skills one way or the other--but you have to learn them.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #114
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
I dunno. Programming absolutely forces you to think about things like depth of cut, feed per tooth, SFM and all of the other things you can do by feel on a manual machine. CNC forces you into the science of machining.

Of course, we agree that you have to learn the skills one way or the other--but you have to learn them.
Operators don't do the programming. Operators load stock into the vise and press cycle start to run a program the machinist created and proofed. I agree that CNC forces you into the technical details of machining but I also think you can't be a good machinist of any kind (CNC or otherwise) without very solid manual skills. You have to understand how to approach a blank piece of stock to make the part you want.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #115
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Haven't read through this whole thread but during the day I'm a senior mfg engineer with a aerospace company. I'm involved in purchasing, setting up, programming cnc machines (Mori Seiki, Mazak, Okuma's, Fadals).

When in high school I took basic shop class that was offered and hated it, not sure why. Later on in trade school I had some more shop classes but seemed ok with it. After working at a machine tool dealer for a few years I decided to go back to get a mfg engineering degree. Those years as a machine tech paid off as I could not only fix the machines I could program them. If you want to be a success in the machining world learn it all and talk to the old timers that work in it. I've learned so much from them. Just don't talk to me I don't like giving all my secrets away :).

In early 2000 I decided I needed a challenge and opened my own job shop. I had a Mori nc lathe and a Fadal VMC15 with a 5-axis positioning head. Sold all the shop in 2004 when I couldn't get work to save my life. Mind you I never quit my day job so I was working 80 hours a week for four years.

If I could build a shop I'd fill it with machine tools because now it's an obsession with me. I only learned the basics in high school and trade school but now I'm pretty good with manual machines. Even ran a shaper in trade school. Guess I'm a late bloomer.

Good luck,

SP
Old 05-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #116
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Phil
it's an obsession with me.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #117
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude

weekends when i'm around (like all winter ) I spend in the shop just putzin about.
otherwise I'd be bored to tears sitting around watching it rain.

took my son in yesterday (16 yo who needs an attitude adjustment) he's never shown any interest in anything.)) failing school badly. big blow up. ugly. etc...

and showed him some basics and how machines work. threaded a rod, etc. he Actually showed Interest!
so I guess he gets weekend class time with me now. bout time he wanted to spend time with me.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #118
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:

weekends when i'm around (like all winter ) I spend in the shop just putzin about.
otherwise I'd be bored to tears sitting around watching it rain.

took my son in yesterday (16 yo who needs an attitude adjustment) he's never shown any interest in anything.)) failing school badly. big blow up. ugly. etc...

and showed him some basics and how machines work. threaded a rod, etc. he Actually showed Interest!
so I guess he gets weekend class time with me now. bout time he wanted to spend time with me.
Don't let that ember burn out, keep it going, more shop time.

SP
Old 05-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #119
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Phil
Don't let that ember burn out, keep it going, more shop time.

SP

he spent today at his mothers house or i woulda showed him how not to weld. :lol

damn old water tank smoker I'm converting to vertical. kept catching on fire and smoking like a ...well. smoker. at least the shop smells better now.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #120
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,308
Frank Marlowe has a new book out, and my dear sweet wife bought it for me on my birthday

Called "Machine Shop Know-How," it's a follow-on companion to his his first book, "Machine Shop Essentials." It's terrific, filled with pearly nuggets of wisdom and technique, and projects, with plenty of good drawings.

http://metalartspress.com/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: