Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #121
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,568
Ahoy!

Week 1, 8-25-10;

Today was the first day of my Metals Casting lab. Holy crap I'm in over my head. Holy crap it's awesome.

Sorry, no pics.

We cast iron into several different bars for chemical analysis in the ASAT program. The goal (of course) is to get the right mix of all the materials to get a good product. We made gray iron by adding specific inoculants.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #122
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude
Ahoy!

Week 1, 8-25-10;

Today was the first day of my Metals Casting lab. Holy crap I'm in over my head. Holy crap it's awesome.

Sorry, no pics.

We cast iron into several different bars for chemical analysis in the ASAT program. The goal (of course) is to get the right mix of all the materials to get a good product. We made gray iron by adding specific inoculants.
I had never heard of the ASAT program so I searched for it on google.

This was the first hit:
The Alcohol and Substance Abuse Treatment (ASAT) Program...
Old 08-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #123
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

D'oh!

ATAS. I even said it to myself when I typed it. Advanced Thermal Analysis System, I think. I got the impression it is an industry standard.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #124
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Really wish I would have had a camera last week; molten iron.

Week 2, 09-01-2010;

We went to a different shop..

..where we took our cast iron bars..

..to the CNC lathe..

..to get turned to a standard size/profile for testing next week.

That was a surprise. I wasn't expecting it at all. They wanted to familiarize us with CNC, so they let us... push the green button.

We then went to the lab and used spectrometers to check out the composition of our grey cast iron. We were looking at C/Si/Cu content mostly. Our samples were pretty good, actually.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #125
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,320
Get that guy a pair of pants, and a shop apron.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #126
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,941
Quote:
..to the CNC lathe..

Did you wow them?
From the pig mat, I can see that it's pissed all over the floor--typical TL-1.

Everything you know applies to that machine--exactly the same, except that the tools are changed by beer-fed-meat-servo instead of the turret...harder to run the boring bar into the chuck that way.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #127
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
Did you wow them?
The guy telling "us" how it works had to ask me how it works.

He was taking a hell of a bite out of the stuff (but I've never cut cast iron, so I don't know what's too much). He said the lathe didn't come with a coolant pump, so they have some tub sitting next to it with a small amount of ooze in it and a rigged pump. The nozzle was just dribbling/bubbling on the part.

They probably haven't wiped off the ways/carriage in years.

Oh well, it's not my machine..

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 09:49 AM
Old 09-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #128
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

It looks like they didn't even order a tailstock. That's as absolutely stripped as they sell a TL-1. Wow.

Did the Intuitive Programming screens look familiar? Try to find out what year the machine is (date is on the electrical cabinet, on a riveted plate). The very early IPS screens are different and might bite you if you're expecting it to work like you're used to.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #129
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

No, it has a tailstock. We were using a livecenter, so it's crammed in there and you can't see it from the angle of my pic.

I'm assuming it's slightly older.. it's got the analog spindle load meter (if that means anything) and the screen had larger white-ish boxes with no real backgrounds to break it up. When actually running the program in the visual mode, the whole screen was the animation and the code appeared in the bottom right.

He ran it in single block for about.. 3 blocks.. as he was explaining it to us but quickly exited out and went to cuttin'.

I asked if he'd programmed it.. no. I asked if he programs with the intuitive programming.. no. He says it's easier (and takes the same amount of time) to write line by line. I silently disagreed completely, but vocally disagreed about Haas lathe vs mill intuitive programming.

I'm not an expert and neither is he and we have different opinions.

Note: This was not the same lab guy from last semester. That guy would have a hissy-fit if I touched his green button.

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 12:47 PM
Old 09-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #130
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Yeah, the control is pre-2007 with the 10" LCD instead of the 15". The older control software was quite a bit simpler looking but, it's all the same.

There are still two flavors of the IPS screens in that era. Basically, the difference is that the earliest version didn't use work offsets. It was very crude. You touched off each tool, did the operation, then did the next tool. I don't think you could build a program with multiple tools.

This video covers that very early version of IPS. I hope (for the school's sake) that it's not this version. While it's more simple in function, it's also severely limited in capability. This video is still a good watch to get more familiar with the logic behind IPS.

As for programming in G-code versus IPS, this is my take: you learn to read before you learn to write. IPS will generate your G-code for you. You still need to know how to read it to modify and get what you want but, it takes the pain out of getting a program roughed out when you just don't speak the language. I think it's the fastest way for a student to learn G-code.

Donkey Hotey screwed with this post 09-02-2010 at 10:25 PM
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:20 AM   #131
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
I learned cnc programming using APT language. I'm sure some of the old timers on this thread know what I'm talking about. Damm makes me sound old and I'm not, just learned the old fashioned way.

Good Luck,

SP
Old 09-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #132
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Thanks for the tips, donkey.

Oh, btw, this version had tool offsets, and it was unlike the screen shown in the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Phil
I learned cnc programming
I might as well take a step back. Those following along at home might not understand the jump. In a search for a summer internship, I was able to use my machining and tinkering to help me secure a position in an engineering design/prototype lab. I got to use what little skills I actually have and develop them on manual and CNC machines. I had two friggin' geniuses showing me the process from computer design to final piece. I like to think that shortly after them showing me, I was able to start having input on work brought to the shop, and after a little more time, I was able to take a design from purple haze all in yer brain to finished part. (Actually, I needed to rely on these mentors pretty much every step of the way.. but that's not what I tell the ladies.) ((Actually, the ladies don't even know who I am, let alone care.))

Anyway, here's me crashing some of the companies machines.

Before I forget everything I learned, I like to think that I am armed and dangerous on a CNC now, and moreso on manual equipment.

Back to the thread.

Week 3, 9-08-2010;

We performed tensile tests on the cast iron bars we cast and machined in the previous 2 labs.

My bars held out to ~11,000 pounds. I was surprised, actually.

..and we used a hardness tester. I gotta get me one of these (also).

We then went up to the foundry..

..and made some molds for a future casting. They're basically silica sand and a 2-part resin epoxy.

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 09-09-2010 at 07:27 PM
Old 09-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #133
metlcutr55
LongGoneDaddy

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Phil
I learned cnc programming using APT language. I'm sure some of the old timers on this thread know what I'm talking about. Damm makes me sound old and I'm not, just learned the old fashioned way.

Good Luck,

SP

old here. made changes for nightshift when i wasnt working the portage layout table. get the mylar tape from the operator. into the booth with the teletype and huge modem (at least we had a push button phone). dial boston, send the tape. a printout would return on 17 wide green lined paper in Compac II. find where to change, write the changes in Compac II, type them into a small edit file, send back to boston. after a while a new printout would come and the dumb terminal would punch a paper tape. if it worked, punch a new mylar the next day from the paper. some of these even ran as loops, no reels. better than the punchcards i lugged around for fortran 4 classes a few year previous. in the modern shop im in now we have mastercam x, but some of the old timers still work in Encode.
I am what you may call the 8th wonder.
Hey look out boys, get out the way, ladies get in line.
I aint perfect but almost, I'm dyin' if I'm lyin'
metlcutr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #134
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Week 4, 9-15-2010;

Time to pour ductile iron.

We started out by making a pig sand mold.

Then, the St Louis chapter of the American Foundry Society stopped by to watch us pour.

We put a sample aside for the ATAS system. These are little cups with a thermocouple and a dab of tellurium at the bottom. The cooling data is sent to the computer. (EDIT: Why did the following 2 pictures get so small?)

Then, from the furnace into the cupola.

..and from there into the molds we made last lab, and the mold we made this lab.

After quite a while, we did the shake out.

That was it for this lab.

While the AFS was there, my teacher waved to me, so I walked over to him. He offered me a paid gig in the foundry. Oh yeah! (I signed the paperwork today.)

That evening, there was some networking time with the AFS peeps in one of the conference halls. I had to leave half way through to attend another meeting, but I came back and some people were still there, but they were about to head to an AFS presentation in another building. My teacher told me that while I was gone, they drew for door prizes and my name was called first. So, he grabbed the prize and gave it to me.. a free hat. Cool. I also talked with a guy who has a foundry/machine shop about 3 blocks from my moms house (where I grew up) and he said he'd love to show me around sometime. Oh yeah!

I went to the presentation which began by my teacher awarding scholarships to AFS/FEF members. I just joined both organizations at the beginning of this semester; $15. The last name he called was mine. I got a surprise scholarship for being so involved and enthused in metals casting.. especially since I'm not a metallurgical engineer. I'm an aerospace engineer.

After the meeting, the guy who owns the foundry in my hometown said that he looks forward to showing me around and they might even put me to work "for, you know, when you come home during break and want to make some money."

Then, I got home and my roommate had bought me some Mexican food.

Life doesn't get much better.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #135
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Cool. I also talked with a guy who has a foundry/machine shop about 3 blocks from my moms house (where I grew up) and he said he'd love to show me around sometime.
Do not screw up. Do not be yourself. Be engaging. Look at HIS shoes when you talk to him.

Tell him about your CNC experience. If they aren't already using CNC for their cores, maybe they've thought about it and didn't know how to get there. Maybe they've never even thought about it (just read an article about that in one of the current industry rags). Maybe they couldn't find the right guy. Maybe they can't find the right guy who's willing to live there. You might walk into the perfect job.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: