User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
What can I do with this GPS that I just bought: Magellan GPS2000?

Let me preface this, I bought it for 2$.

This is a wonderfully outdated (circa 1995) piece of technology that works and is in great condition. I downloaded the original manual for it from magellan’s website, put some new batteries (4 AA) followed the directions by inputting the coordinates for Gladwin and set it outside to lock into the satellites. It took about 20 minutes, but it initialized, locked in and found the position. It shouldn’t take nearly as long from now on.

Now, the question is, what should I do with it? I already have a nice Garmin Etrex Venture HC color screen handheld, so it’s not something I really needed. My first thought was that I could use it as a speedometer to mount on dirtbike/bicycle that I could leave on it in public without worrying about it getting stolen. What do you think? My friend already called me a horder for buying it.

Also does anybody have any experience with these, somebody said on a different thread that it has the ability to get coordinates from google maps, but I'm not sure how because there are no ways to hook it up to a computer that I can tell.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
I have the XL model of that. Bought years ago. It was my first experience using GPS. I learned how to calculate lat/long position on those maps with the tick marks on the edge of the map, using a special scale/ruler. Then I'd use the GPS units coordinates of where I was at and figure out that location on the map to see my position.

Or I would determine the coordinates of certain points/landmarks/road intersections on the map at home, write those on the map, then when out in the field/on the trail, I could use the coordinates of my current position that the GPS was giving me to compare with those points I had predetermined at home and get a general idea of where I was at.

It's a far cry from what units can do today. Its accuracy is pretty good tho. Years ago I had predetermined at home, the coords for Baldy Lake in the Sargents trail system in Colorado, a high mountain lake I wanted to get to and see. It was kind of early in the season to be riding those trails, and about 3/4 of a mile before reaching it, the trail became obscure and unfollowable from 2 feet of snow.

Well, I had come too far to turn back without seeing it, so I leaned the bike against a tree and set out on foot. I had the coords for the lake in the GPS. I just followed the heading pointer pretty much in a straight line towards where it said the lake was. Took me right too it.

I think the unit also does a bread crumb track. Been a while since I've messed with it.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,934
They'll do what a GPS is built for.. tell you where you are and how fast & in what direction you're going.

Up till last year I was riding with a Garmin GPS12. Really the only thing I didn't like about it was the 1024 trackpoint limit. Dropped digital breadcrumbs, talked to my computer, stored enough waypoints (although the 6-character names were always a bit cryptic).

If you have something that needs a GPS receiver (Datalogger, computer with Google Earth, APRS rig, etc) it'd make a great receiver for that. Power and serial data's all you need out of it... turn it on and let it spit out data.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
T-Stoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
I got mine new in '95. It was pushed all the way back the storage bin by my newer models throughout the succeeding years but this thread prompted me to dig it out and see if it still worked...

After some 12 years of inactivity and some 30 (aarrgh) minutes of searching...

Basic, but tough. I really love seeing old stuff still doing their thing.
T-Stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
If it displays position in Lat/ Lon give it to cheapskate snotty yachty that doesn't have a GPS but hopefully can plot positions on a chart. May just save his tupperware wrapped butt from running aground...hopefully.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote