ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
alaninsea OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 122
Double-Check your Motorcycle Insurance Policy

Recently totaled my '09 GS and now going thru the process with State Farm.

As I'm working thru the process, I'm finding I will be shopping for a different Insurance Company to cover my next motorcycle.

1. State Farm goes thru a company called Autosource for their claims with motorcycles (no experience at State Farm?). They look for any motorcycle, I'm guessing anywhere in the US to compare it to. Mine was compared to a bike in San Jose, when there were two '09 GS in the Phoenix area at the dealerships (of course priced $1,000+ more - equipted almost identical - ESA option).
2. The Adjusters at State Farm are Auto Adjusters and have very limited experience with Motorcycles. Additional deductions included for milage (25.5K, BMW doesn't deduct until 50K), Heated grips, ESA, and onboard computer. My bike had all these options! So when you dispute this, they have to go back to the Autosource report. The first adjuster would not even relook at this for me. I'm still disputing over the $1,000+ difference in region.
3. Realizing State Farm does not cover Accessories that are not stamped "BMW". Cannot even add it to your motorcycle policy. All my Touratech items (will even go as far as saying if you have Touratech panniers), engine crash bars, valve covers, all added guards, added running lights, tank bags, etc., not covered. Insurance is not covering my BMW Nav IV in cradle mounted. BMW accessories are only being covered 60% of value (been advised that this it the max they will pay too). Trying to explain the difference between ADV and Vario panniers are - good luck. Tried to explain the reason of the crash bars and valve covers, additional riding lights for visibility/safety, etc., but they considered these items a personal customization - bling! Was starting the Continental Divide ride. Had added the protection on the bike for low speed crashes.
4. Riding gear is not covered at State Farm, with the exception of the helmet - have your receipt for the helmet. Luckly I had all my gear on. Saved me a visit to the hospital or worse. I guess riding gear is bling too.
5. Any items attached to the motorcycle or in the panniers are not covered, even on renters insurance.
6. Have full coverage and assumed it included roadside assistance and towing like my vehicle - big negative. Found out you cannot even add this on a motorcycle policy with State Farm - not an option offered. Luckly I had AAA with motorcycle tow with 100 miles free. Still got stuck with a $220 tow bill.

Still going back and forth with State Farm on this claim.

Things to Consider next time on Insurance:
a. Does the policy cover towing?
b. Does the policy cover added accessories?
c. What is considered an accessory and bling on a motorcycle?
d. Does the accessory need to be bolted on?
e. Does it need to be manufactured by the motorcycle company?
f. Is riding gear covered?
g. Is it replacement value?
h. If not covered, can I add a writer policy that covers my accessories and riding gear and cover it at replacement value?

I never had an Issue with State Farm on any auto claims.. Always been happy with their coverage and my Agents over the years. My Agent has also been very helpful assisting me on this claim. Very bad experience with my first adjuster though. Finally had to ask for another adjuster.

Finding out though that State Farm may not be the best option for Motorcycle Insurance.

The sad thing I found with State Farm; if you have a dirt bike or ATV, you can actually add accessories to your policy. Go figure.

My recommendation - review your motorcycle policy with your Insurance Agent.

Hopefully you will never need to utilize it!
__________________
2014 R1200GSW
alaninsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
VEGASGSA
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaninsea View Post
Recently totaled my '09 GS and now going thru the process with State Farm.

As I'm working thru the process, I'm finding I will be shopping for a different Insurance Company to cover my next motorcycle.

1. State Farm goes thru a company called Autosource for their claims with motorcycles (no experience at State Farm?). They look for any motorcycle, I'm guessing anywhere in the US to compare it to. Mine was compared to a bike in San Jose, when there were two '09 GS in the Phoenix area at the dealerships (of course priced $1,000+ more - equipted almost identical - ESA option).
2. The Adjusters at State Farm are Auto Adjusters and have very limited experience with Motorcycles. Additional deductions included for milage (25.5K, BMW doesn't deduct until 50K), Heated grips, ESA, and onboard computer. My bike had all these options! So when you dispute this, they have to go back to the Autosource report. The first adjuster would not even relook at this for me. I'm still disputing over the $1,000+ difference in region.
3. Realizing State Farm does not cover Accessories that are not stamped "BMW". Cannot even add it to your motorcycle policy. All my Touratech items (will even go as far as saying if you have Touratech panniers), engine crash bars, valve covers, all added guards, added running lights, tank bags, etc., not covered. Insurance is not covering my BMW Nav IV in cradle mounted. BMW accessories are only being covered 60% of value (been advised that this it the max they will pay too). Trying to explain the difference between ADV and Vario panniers are - good luck. Tried to explain the reason of the crash bars and valve covers, additional riding lights for visibility/safety, etc., but they considered these items a personal customization - bling! Was starting the Continental Divide ride. Had added the protection on the bike for low speed crashes.
4. Riding gear is not covered at State Farm, with the exception of the helmet - have your receipt for the helmet. Luckly I had all my gear on. Saved me a visit to the hospital or worse. I guess riding gear is bling too.
5. Any items attached to the motorcycle or in the panniers are not covered, even on renters insurance.
6. Have full coverage and assumed it included roadside assistance and towing like my vehicle - big negative. Found out you cannot even add this on a motorcycle policy with State Farm - not an option offered. Luckly I had AAA with motorcycle tow with 100 miles free. Still got stuck with a $220 tow bill.

Still going back and forth with State Farm on this claim.

Things to Consider next time on Insurance:
a. Does the policy cover towing?
b. Does the policy cover added accessories?
c. What is considered an accessory and bling on a motorcycle?
d. Does the accessory need to be bolted on?
e. Does it need to be manufactured by the motorcycle company?
f. Is riding gear covered?
g. Is it replacement value?
h. If not covered, can I add a writer policy that covers my accessories and riding gear and cover it at replacement value?

I never had an Issue with State Farm on any auto claims.. Always been happy with their coverage and my Agents over the years. My Agent has also been very helpful assisting me on this claim. Very bad experience with my first adjuster though. Finally had to ask for another adjuster.

Finding out though that State Farm may not be the best option for Motorcycle Insurance.

The sad thing I found with State Farm; if you have a dirt bike or ATV, you can actually add accessories to your policy. Go figure.

My recommendation - review your motorcycle policy with your Insurance Agent.

Hopefully you will never need to utilize it!
Your agent won't know either...and will tell you, whatever to get you added to his "book"...my advice, read your own damn policy, they give you a copy..know what is and isn't covered...

Question specifically anything you want to ask about..request answers in writing. It is YOUR job to know what is on the policy YOU are paying for.

After you crash, is a shity time to know whst is covered.

Remove anything they won't pay for in the total that's salvageable. Use it on next bike or sell..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
RunninRanger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 129
Try GEICO or Progressive. They cover bling with an accessories option up to $10,000.00.

Like the man said, read your policy before an incident.

Buying insurance is exactly what you pay for.
RunninRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
psychohawk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Downey, CA 90242
Oddometer: 204
If the accident was someone else's fault, sue for losses not covered by insurance in small claims.

Carl
__________________
2005 R1200GS
psychohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,574
I had a wreck a couple weeks ago offroad, no other party involved, but did go to the hospital. I have Dairyland and they covered my helmet and jacket (only gear affected by wreck) and while they do have towing and rental reimbursement, I wrecked out of state and had BMW roadside assistance tow to nearest dealer. The dealer went through the bike and submitted an estimate on all damages to bike including all aftermarket parts. Dairyland cut them a check and they are ordering all the parts and repairing the bike as we speak. So far I have no complaints with them and everything was taken care of it timely manner. My bike is a 2011 1200gsa and had just under $10,000 in damage. I thought they'd total it, but they didn't. I'm glad I kept the receipts for the jacket and helmet.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer
 
AviatorTroy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH/Stuart FL
Oddometer: 1,547
Been very happy with geico's policies for years.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!
 
Ricky Chuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Yukon, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 391
Thanks for posting this. My agent goes to church with me and we have used SF for many years for home and auto, so I confess I didn't comb through the policy, just told him what I had and to add it.

That Dairyland ins. sounds pretty nice, it is time to do some more thorough looking, thanks again.
__________________
2004 BMW R1150R
Ricky Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #8
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Hampton, VA
Oddometer: 536
I'm with Rider. Their policy seems to cover everything you mention pretty much, and it was by far the cheapest, especially if your driving record suggests you view speed limits as a recommendation.
__________________
2012 R1200GS Rallye
ChildlikeWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
jmsadv
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Georgia, U.S.A.
Oddometer: 25
I know the OP opened himself up for criticism here by sharing his incident, but I really appreciate the post. This has triggered me to go review my policy and confirm with my agent. For what it's worth, I am insured by Foremost through an independent agent. Here are a few details he sent me as confirmation, as well as other considerations. I am posting this on the notion it may be helpful, or in case you want to checkout Foremost as an option.



You have a good motorcycle policy with Foremost. The policy automatically includes up to $3,500 of “Optional Equipment” which includes “any trailer or any parts, decorations, custom painting, chroming, sidecar or other items on your motorcycle that were not originally provided by the manufacturer as standard equipment.” So, if you have added over $3,500 of equipment, we’d probably want to increase that amount…up to $15,000. If you add more than $15k of optional equipment, then we would need to write a different type of motorcycle policy since it would be classified as a “custom” bike.

Regarding helmets, the policy includes $1,500 of coverage to helmet or safety apparel if involved in a collision loss.

There is not any coverage for your personal property in a luggage bag if it’s a collision loss (meaning your fault), which is similar to an auto policy. If personal property is stolen or damaged from your vehicle, it would be covered under your home policy subject to the home deductible. (Side note – you can add $1500 of personal property coverage to your auto policy, plus a lot of other extra coverages, if you add the “auto plus” endorsement which is $60 per year. This is not available to add to the motorcycle policy)

As a “however” to the paragraph above…if you are involved in an uninsured loss with your motorcycle, your personal property would be covered under the “uninsured property damage” coverage…so if there is a hit and run, or you are hit by someone with no insurance or not enough insurance to cover the accident, you would have coverage for your personal property.

You do have towing coverage on the motorcycle policy, up to “reasonable expense.” Which basically means they would tow to a nearby repair shop and cover it, as long as you are not passing 6 other motorcycle repair shops on the way to where you want to go. The policy also includes trip interruption coverage, which means when “more than 100 miles away from home, they will pay up to $500 for lodging, meals and transportation costs incurred as the result of a covered loss by theft, collision, or contact with a bird or animal.” So basically if you are taking a road trip and have a loss and have to stay in that town while the bike is repaired, or you have to take a bus to get back home if the bike is a total loss, they will pay up to $500 reimbursement for any extra expense incurred because of the loss. Pretty cool.

One other thing about the policy is that you have replacement cost on the bike since it is a new motorcycle that was bought from a dealer. From the policy: “If the motorcycle is a total loss in the first 24 months, we will replace the motorcycle with a new, comparably equipped motorcycle.” This is automatically included in the policy.
jmsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 2,574
I must confess, I only chose Dairlyland because they were the cheapest when I bought my bike. I have my two cars under Geico and they wanted almost double what I'm paying at Dairyland. I didn't know about the hotel, rental and gear reimbursement until I actually read my policy AFTER my wreck. Stupid on my part, but it all worked out.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #11
Britome
Get Free
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninRanger View Post
Try GEICO or Progressive. They cover bling with an accessories option up to $10,000.00.

Like the man said, read your policy before an incident.

Buying insurance is exactly what you pay for.
As did dairyland for my recent totaled bike.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
BullShatter
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BullShatter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Oddometer: 200
Alaninsea...Thanks for the insightful Post

Thanks for the insightful post. It forced me to review my Geico policy and verify what is/is not covered.

Just a couple of thoughts:

@VegasGSA
You are absolutely correct, it all comes down to personal responsibility, if you are paying for the policy you should read it to know what's covered, but unfortunately most of us don't, we buy a full coverage policy and assume "full coverage" translates to the bike and all it's accessories. In 99% of the cases this is never an issue. I admit I'm also remiss in this, I had to read my policy and verify that accessories are included. The only people I know that scour the fine print on everything are those folks with that engineering/accounting mindset.

You can liken it to a child touching a hot stove, it will only happen one time. Now every time Alaninsea gets a new policy you can be damn sure he reads the fine print. It's just human nature. Most people, including myself, don't think to ask until it has happened to me. It's called learning and wisdom.

@Alaninsea
Goodluck with the Insurance company, by law you are allowed to contest the adjuster and hire your own adjuster and provide your own comparisons.

What I can say about State Farm though is WOW....
I recently had a claim through my Mexican Insurance Policy for an unexpected "get-off" while in Mexico earlier this year. The claim covered all accessories attached to the bike (no gear though) and they paid out after an adjuster took a look at the bike, and then confirmed BMW's estimate for repairs. 3 days later they cut me a check (-$1000 for my deductable). Even after the deductible, it still covered the majority of repairs. YMMV
__________________
"If God had wanted us to vote, He would have provided us with candidates."
BullShatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
JetSpeed
Naviator
 
JetSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KNZY
Oddometer: 2,354
I have had Progressive thru USAA for several years, when I recently upgraded from an 05 GS to a new water cooled model the rates whent from about $640 a year to over $1600, I was forced to look elsewhere, both GIECO and ALLSTATE offered prices in the $600 range so I changed.
As far as motorcycle policies go Progressive offers the best coverage hands down, and is the only carrier that offers $25k medical for the rider, most others are zero or $10k max, not that everyone needs this but it makes my wife feel better.
They also include $3000 in accessories free and offer comprehensive roadside assistance with trip interruption that covers food, lodging and rental car, and if you look up their rating they are consistently at or near the top as is GIECO and ALLSTATE.
Progressive's rates are coming down on the new bike but not yet where the competition is, as soon as they;re back in-line I'll move back.

I haven't had a motorcycle claim in over 10 years so I don't know how any of them are in that regard, and that is truly where the tire meets the road regarding insurance.
__________________
2013 R1200GSW

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hambonee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Western Washington
Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I have had Progressive thru USAA for several years, when I recently upgraded from an 05 GS to a new water cooled model the rates whent from about $640 a year to over $1600, I was forced to look elsewhere, both GIECO and ALLSTATE offered prices in the $600 range so I changed.
As far as motorcycle policies go Progressive offers the best coverage hands down, and is the only carrier that offers $25k medical for the rider, most others are zero or $10k max, not that everyone needs this but it makes my wife feel better.
They also include $3000 in accessories free and offer comprehensive roadside assistance with trip interruption that covers food, lodging and rental car, and if you look up their rating they are consistently at or near the top as is GIECO and ALLSTATE.
Progressive's rates are coming down on the new bike but not yet where the competition is, as soon as they;re back in-line I'll move back.

I haven't had a motorcycle claim in over 10 years so I don't know how any of them are in that regard, and that is truly where the tire meets the road regarding insurance.
HUH?!?

Something is wrong here. I have Progressive through USAA also and for full coverage on my R1200GS LC and 07 Guzzi Norge its just a smidge under $1200 a year total..
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
ZEmann
want to be riding
 
ZEmann's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 611
FYI Geico outsources also

I had to go to a different website last month for the application and Geico clearly states they use another company for Motorcycles

I just needed the minimum but be forewarned that even if your History with Geico auto has been good you may find yourself in the same boat as the OP


PS AAA is the way to go I have trucks ,trailers ,pwc's,boats etc

and they are all free tow for the first 100 miles anywhere I say with my RV policy
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014