User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
David Shapiro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Lightest Full Face Helmet

I've done all the ADV and Google searches. Now I need some real world recommendations. I need a light full-face helmet, since my recent neck surgery now precludes anything very heavy. I just sold my Shoei Neotec because it killed me to wear it more than an hour. I have a big pumpkin, so I think that I need a helmet that has at least 3 shell sizes. I bought and sold a Nexx R1R carbon since it was just too small. Same with a Lazer Monaco.
I rode with a Bell Star carbon that was OK, but quite the right shape. If there was a Shoei Qwest in carbon, shape wise that would be perfect. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks,
David

David Shapiro screwed with this post 03-06-2015 at 03:30 PM
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
Kawasakirob
flick the bean

Oddometer: 1,082
AGV PistaGP. Probably the lightest on the market. It's a no joke full blown race helmet with a 1400 dollar msrp. On ebay you can find them for 999. AGV also makes the Corsa, which is one step down from the Pista, at a more "affordable" price of 899, and can also be found on ebay for 799.
Crutchlow #35, Hayden #69, Sykes #66, Herrin #2, Noyes #9

Go Edwards # 5
Go Stoner #27
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
I rode with a Bell Star carbon that was OK, but quite the right shape.
Bell has a custom fit program for those, where they scan your head. I don't think they're that light for a carbon lid. But the custom-fit ones should fit right.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #4
Swinefahrt
RooteR

Oddometer: 590
Webbikeworld has the tested ones listed here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...et-weights.htm

If its got tits or wheels, it'll give you problems!
Swinefahrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
wadenelson
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 634
Old 03-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
I just had to stop using my Neotec...it suffered a high fall and landed exactly wrong on some rough asphalt. I could feel a tiny bit of give to the shell where it hit, so I decided I should replace it.

I just got the Shark Explore-R Carbon Helmet. Full face, carbon-fiber shell, comes with a peak and goggles for off-road/dual sport riding, a clear visor for on road, and has an integrated drop-down sun shade.

I love it. I can't say that it's the lightest helmet on the market, but it is definitely lighter than my Neotec. It fits slightly wider than the Neotec...my chubby cheeks were always a little squeezed with that one. I wore an XL in the Neotec, the same in the Shark, and the Shark fits my face a little better in the width. I love the features on it...very versatile. It's noisy with the peak on, but that goes away with ear plugs...otherwise it's quiet. Good visibility...excellent top to bottom, but slightly narrower than the Neotec when using the goggles. I do wish the peak would drop down a bit more...it'd help block the sun if it could adjust down more. It likes clean air...buffets a little in turbulence with the peak on, but honestly no worse than regular helmets with the visor fully up. Excellent optical quality on the goggles, sun shade, and visor. Has room for bluetooth if you want it.

I just got it so I can't say how it'll hold up over time, but I am very happy with it so far.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,117
I've just come back from looking at full-face helmets last week, and I went down there to the dealer to buy a new AGV Horizon.

So I tried it on, and it was too long! This surprised me coz they used to fit me beautifully. It also pissed me off because I had my heart set on the thing from afar. Obviously all those giant big whacks to the head have moulded it a bit!

So I tried on the Bell Star and the Bell RS-1. Both helmets fit me much better, didn't feel quite so "long" in the shape, with a more snug feel around the cheeks and temples. I was going to get one of those, until the sales girl, after taking note of my procrastinating comments, held up a..........

...........new Shoei TZ-X, better known to you guys as a Q-West. It fit perfectly! So I bought it.

I should mention here I specifically wanted a light helmet with good aero's, for similar reasons you sold your Shoei Neotec for. All 3 of these helmets (AGV upper lines, Bell Star and RS-1, Shoei TZ-X/NXR) really genuinely surprised me with their very low weight and excellent balance once on.

Hope it helps.