User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
Hikertrash OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,707
Review: Globescout 1200GSA Panniers

Ok, since i was looking to replace my Jesse Odessey cases, i ran across a thread from Advdepot.com advertising that they would be a distributor for the Turkish made Globescout panniers. I looked online at Globescout's website and found that these appeared to be some very well made cases. It just so happened that Advdepot was also looking for a BMW 1200GSA beta tester for a pair of natural finish panniers they already had at their shop. I got in touch with Rob and Bill and purchased them the next day.

Packaging

I received my Globescout panniers for the factory BMW 1200GS Adventure racks about 5 weeks ago. They arrived in a single box with the panniers wrapped in plastic and separated from each other by Styrofoam. The packaging was so professional and it insured there would be no damage to them from being shipped all the way from Turkey. Each pannier had two (2) keys included inside it. All four (4) keys are the same and open each pannier.

Initial Impression

Once the panniers were unwrapped and examined, I could see how well these things were made. The quality and attention to detail is unbelievable. For comparison, I have owned the factory BMW Adventure cases and the Jesse Odyssey panniers. These almost look like a stainless steel and match my stainless kitchen appliances perfectly.

Features

For starters there's a built in heat shield on the left (exhaust) side pannier

All latches, corner protectors and lock assemblies can be replaced since they're screwed on and not riveted

My favorite feature is the loops inside the top lids to attach the optional lid organizers or even a bungie net

One of my favorite features of the Jesse panniers was the top lid storage and although the Globescout lids have nowhere near the storage capacity of the Jesse Odysseys, I'll be able to fit my electric air pump, tow strap, jumper cables and tire plug kit in them.

Hopnel net for Honda Goldwing cases fits perfect until the Globescout lid nets arrive. Or if you'd prefer to save $25 buy them here:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ho...art/BBP-H15407

The tops of the lids feature six (6) loops vs the standard four (4) BMW has on their lids. This gives even more options for latching down gear on the top of them.

Like the BMW panniers, the Globescouts have locks on them that also act as a hinge. One side can be opened and the opposite side acts as a hinge with an inside wire attached that will prevent the lid from flying or falling off. The wire is easily removed if you want to completely removed the lid.

A lot of thought went into the lock and hinge system. The Globescout locks have numerous safety features built into them. To open an unlocked pannier, you have to press a hidden pin which will allow the hasp to open. I like this feature because I can leave my panniers unlocked and know that they won't open up accidentally while on the road and it might deter a thief who's looking for an easy target because most people won't know to press the hidden pin.

Next is the keyed lock, which is one of my only complaints. The keys are quite small, not like the larger mailbox style keys issued with Jesse panniers or a keyed to your ignition like the BMW panniers. The key holes are not perpendicular like most locks which is no big deal function wise, but it bothers me nonetheless. Since the keys are so small and the key holes are so small, you can't just shove the key in without looking like you can with the BMW and Jesse panniers. Believe me when I say I'm really nitpicking here. These panniers have almost no flaws IMO. Another feature I like is the padlock loop on the lock hasps. If you want that extra added security you can throw a padlock in each of the four (4) lock hasps and be assured no one will be getting into those things without some serious effort. An added bonus is you can use padlocks exclusively if you lose your key while traveling. All the locks have plastic dust covers which cover the key holes. This is a great feature that Jesse does not use, but BMW does. Unfortunately I lost two (2) BMW dust covers on my Adventure panniers, but Globescout seems to know what works. Their dust covers are very robust and I don't foresee them being broken or lost anytime soon.

Durability

The Globescout panniers are 1.5mm thick. I'm not going to lie, if you want serious offroad panniers, the Jesse panniers can't be beat for durability. I was actually able to dent mine, but they were much, much stronger than my BMW Adventure panniers that would crush like a soda can every time I dropped my bike offroad. I actually sold my BMW panniers after they were dented so badly and purchased a set of Jesse panniers. My complaint with the Jesse panniers was they were too small to hold a full face helmet and they were very ugly. I admit I'm a bit superficial so that's why I was looking to replace them. I had my eye on the Touratech Zega Pro panniers which are also 1.5mm thick, but after seeing that Globescout panniers would be sold in the United States at almost half the price, I had to give them a try. As seen in the photo, my 200lb body was able to stand up on the side of the Globescout pannier without any buckling or denting. I know the factory BMW Adventure cases would have at the very least lost their waterproof seal, but most likely crushed under my fat ass. We all know I probably could've jumped up and down on the Jesse panniers without even a dent. I'll know later on when I drop the bike offroading just how durable these are, but I think their design will make it hard to lose their ability to remain watertight.

Storage

Will these fit a full face helmet like the BMW Adventure panniers? Unfortunately not. This is my only other nitpick on these panniers. I got rid of my Jesse panniers because I wanted to have some panniers again that would hold my Arai XD-3. When I called Advdepot and spoke to Bill, he said they wouldn't fit a full face helmet, but I went ahead with the purchase anyway. IIRC, these are the same volume as the BMW panniers, but Globescout has designed a beveled lip to increase water-tightness and strengthen the openings which does not allow my Arai XD-3 to fit inside. As disappointing as it is, I'll take strength and durability over the ability to store my helmet inside.

Installation

My panniers didn't come with any instructions, but installation was pretty straight forward. I was told that these are a direct fit onto the OEM BMW 1200GS Adventure racks and they were. They did fit on much tighter than the BMW and Jesse panniers, but I welcomed the added security. My BMW panniers were a little loose after 6000 miles of use. I keep my panniers on all the time because I use my bike for everyday errands. If you're the type that likes to take the panniers off quite a bit, these may get annoying. They may loosen up after repeated removal, but I don't know. I like that these things are rock solid. I had use a couple of palm strikes to get them to seat onto the GSA racks. Once secured onto the GSA racks, there is only one all aluminum puck that needs to be tightened down to lock the pannier onto the rack. My BMW panniers could come off in about 15 seconds, but they also became loose. My Jesse Odyssey panniers were a bit more time consuming to remove and install and had delrin spacers that came unglued from the panniers. In the three 5 weeks that I've owned the Globescouts, the puck has never come loose.

Right Side (Non-Exhaust)

Locking Lever on GSA rack

Exhaust Side

Bottom view

See how tucked in the panniers are

Heat Shield

Overall Impression

Overall I'm very satisfied with my Globescout panniers. From ten feet away, you probably couldn't tell them from BMW Adventure panniers, but once you get closer, you can see the difference. They look fantastic, they have many more features than most panniers on the market and they're built much better than most panniers. If you want a durable set of panniers that look OEM for your 1200GSA at almost half the price of OEM or Zega Pros, the Globescouts are a great choice so long as you can live with the fact they won't hold a full face helmet. I can't wait for the lid organizers and liner bags to come into the country. Bill and Rob from Advdepot.com have been great to deal with and that's not only important for me now, but also in the future should I need to order any replacement parts or accessories.

Front view with panniers on

Rear view. Outside to outside is 39" across.

(Update)

Ok, after using these for about 5 weeks now, I've noticed that they're starting to rub onto any items that are kept inside them like my BMW Adventure panniers did. I thought these were made so they wouldn't stain, but I guess I was wrong. If you don't want to ruin anything you put inside them, I would highly recommend purchasing the black anodized versions. I would've purchased the black anodized panniers, but I couldn't pass up the discount that AdvDepot gave me on the natural finish version in exchange for being a beta tester. If I had to do it over, I would have gladly payed full price for the anodized. If you've owned the BMW adventure panniers, you know what a headache having dark grey finish getting all over your gear can be.

Hikertrash screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 07:49 PM
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post

With the factory BMW aluminum bags being so flimsy, these have to be stronger. Althought with using the BMW mounting system, these bags have the same problem which is width. Wow, are those wide
Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
OlivierS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
These look nice, been looking for panniers for a while. And the prices are more then ok. One problem though, can't seem to find a carrier system for a KTM 990 Adventure :-(
OlivierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Hikertrash OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
With the factory BMW aluminum bags being so flimsy, these have to be stronger. Althought with using the BMW mounting system, these bags have the same problem which is width. Wow, are those wide
Edited to add that they are 39" across. Definitely not as wide as the handlebars. But then again, I never thought the factory cases were too wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA #50489

Hikertrash screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 04:22 PM Reason: Edited for correct width
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,214
I would think some inner liners would solve your raw aluminum rubbing issues?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Hikertrash OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
I would think some inner liners would solve your raw aluminum rubbing issues?
Absolutely. That's what I did with my BMW panniers. I'm just making people aware that these will rub, too even though they're supposed to be a better aluminum.

IBA #50489
Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
I think they're 36" across. Definitely not as wide as the handlebars. But then again, I never thought the factory cases were too wide.
In your first post you said "I've measured them a couple of times for inmates and I believe they're 39" across."

They sure look wider than 36" in the picture.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Hikertrash OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
In your first post you said "I've measured them a couple of times for inmates and I believe they're 39" across."

They sure look wider than 36" in the picture.
Yep, just measured them and they are in fact 39" across.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Oddometer: 626
Hikertrash,

nice bike, nice setup! Ewan and Charlie would have been jealous
AceRider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,214
Quote:
Absolutely. That's what I did with my BMW panniers. I'm just making people aware that these will rub, too even though they're supposed to be a better aluminum.

Spray the inside with bed liner. It works great and you won't have to worry about getting aluminum oxide all over everything.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Spray the inside with bed liner. It works great and you won't have to worry about getting aluminum oxide all over everything.
Better if you have a light color. I would use an aluminum friendly clear or light color paint.

Jim

PS Very thorough review!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Better if you have a light color. I would use an aluminum friendly clear or light color paint.

Jim

PS Very thorough review!
The advantage to the bed liner is its durability. I guess one could also use plastic coat.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
The advantage to the bed liner is its durability. I guess one could also use plastic coat.
The commercial bedliners are about 1/4" thick, that will reduce your size by 1/2". You can get them in color, and with no grit, so that is good. The spray-on from a can bedliner is slightly thicker than paint, but is only in black. The inside of a pannier in black makes it hard to find stuff. A good paint designed for aluminum should stick pretty well, and wear fine.

The inside of mine, clean and using a flash:

I have always had black painted panniers, and always want to paint them a lighter color, but am too lazy.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
I'm a bit puzzled, but those panniers look exactly like the Touratech-made OEM BMW alloy panniers on my F800GS.

Are these licensed TT items or just well-made copies? Just curios, no pun intended.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
The commercial bedliners are about 1/4" thick, that will reduce your size by 1/2". You can get them in color, and with no grit, so that is good. The spray-on from a can bedliner is slightly thicker than paint, but is only in black. The inside of a pannier in black makes it hard to find stuff. A good paint designed for aluminum should stick pretty well, and wear fine.

The inside of mine, clean and using a flash:

I have always had black painted panniers, and always want to paint them a lighter color, but am too lazy.

Jim

Yea, I'm referring to the spray from a can stuff. I used it on the GSA panniers. It worked well, thickness was dictated by the number of coats applied. The downside was it off gassed for months.