Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #151
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
Where did you get the turn signals to put in there? Are they Zegas?
Scott
The ones in the above image look like an aftermarket install, but note that Paul does, or plans to, sell hand shields with the turn signals built in.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #152
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Hdb

These are awesome and Paul is a super guy to do business with. Got a set a couple of months ago for my F800GS and love'em. Fit perfect, look great and yeah they work. Bike took a dirt nap on the shoulder of a gravel road and I still got my OEM levers with no damage.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #153
Numb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
finally got my top clamp wired with switches and the LED dash from Paul - but this morning I realized the LED's are a little too bright - anyone happen to know the correct resistor to dim them by about 50%? Or perhaps 3 suggested ones and I'll do a little trial/error?

thanks - these HDB guards and top clamp are unbelievable quality...

edit...SWAG and start witha 330ohm?

Numb screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 11:28 AM
Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #154
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 963
Resistors not the best choice???

LEDs are not like a normal bulb and don't act linearly with varying resistance. A resistor to change the brightness level, depending on how the LED's in the array are arranged, may use more power than the LED. No, not a huge energy hog but inefficient. Different color LED's have a different voltage drop across them too. Look this up on Wiki, or just google "dimming LEDs" for a better explanation than I can give you. Most guys dimming LED driving lights go for a pulse width modulator (about $15-20 I understand, but those are a higher power level than you would need) which chops the current into chunks so fast that you cant see it as anything but the LED dimming. Very linear.
You could experiment with resistors (a little quicker if you can measure the current and voltage drop across the resistor and know Ohms law) but if you get the level you want, make sure you leave it turned on for a while see if the wattage resistor you have can handle the power - test it on the bench before tucking it away inside the wiring loom - don't want to let the smoke out.
You could experiment with, say, a 1k variable resistor (pot) and when you get the brightness level you want , measure the resistance and buy a resistor of that value.
If this sounds like too much work, search some more on ADV or start a separate thread - somebody has probably already been there, done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb View Post
finally got my top clamp wired with switches and the LED dash from Paul - but this morning I realized the LED's are a little too bright - anyone happen to know the correct resistor to dim them by about 50%? Or perhaps 3 suggested ones and I'll do a little trial/error?

thanks - these HDB guards and top clamp are unbelievable quality...

edit...SWAG and start witha 330ohm?
Old 02-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #155
Numb
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
LEDs are not like a normal bulb and don't act linearly with varying resistance. A resistor to change the brightness level, depending on how the LED's in the array are arranged, may use more power than the LED. No, not a huge energy hog but inefficient. Different color LED's have a different voltage drop across them too. Look this up on Wiki, or just google "dimming LEDs" for a better explanation than I can give you. Most guys dimming LED driving lights go for a pulse width modulator (about $15-20 I understand, but those are a higher power level than you would need) which chops the current into chunks so fast that you cant see it as anything but the LED dimming. Very linear.
You could experiment with resistors (a little quicker if you can measure the current and voltage drop across the resistor and know Ohms law) but if you get the level you want, make sure you leave it turned on for a while see if the wattage resistor you have can handle the power - test it on the bench before tucking it away inside the wiring loom - don't want to let the smoke out.
You could experiment with, say, a 1k variable resistor (pot) and when you get the brightness level you want , measure the resistance and buy a resistor of that value.
If this sounds like too much work, search some more on ADV or start a separate thread - somebody has probably already been there, done that.
thanks - i knew from years past that it was tricky to dim led's v. regular filament light sources, but didn't recall how i did it a long time ago.... i tried several types of resistors since they are cheap, but to no avail. I had to rewire the switched and led dash anyway b/c the green led had burned out for some reason - so no time wasted with the experiment.

i think i'm going to do one of two other options - either push them into the dash and cover with something tinted, or more likely just use something on the very top of the led to cut the brightness that way (so it will light peripherally but not straight up anymore). these leds are BRIGHT (very) so no way they work for me at night as is. if neither of the above options works then i'll cut the power and leave them alone...don't really need them anyway just looks nice
Old 02-14-2011, 04:48 AM   #156
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 963
Probably your best option - installing PWM's for this application might be a little over the top (unless someone has a small, low power version that is plug and play). Leaving the LED's there but not working could be an issue if you run across the anal State Patrolman, but you would have to be pretty unlucky there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb View Post
thanks - i knew from years past that it was tricky to dim led's v. regular filament light sources, but didn't recall how i did it a long time ago.... i tried several types of resistors since they are cheap, but to no avail. I had to rewire the switched and led dash anyway b/c the green led had burned out for some reason - so no time wasted with the experiment.

i think i'm going to do one of two other options - either push them into the dash and cover with something tinted, or more likely just use something on the very top of the led to cut the brightness that way (so it will light peripherally but not straight up anymore). these leds are BRIGHT (very) so no way they work for me at night as is. if neither of the above options works then i'll cut the power and leave them alone...don't really need them anyway just looks nice
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #157
Numb
Gnarly Adventurer

well, the green ones keep burning out after about 2 hours of riding time... red holding strong.

I used a sharpie to dim the led - but the green was already on the way out, and I didn't need my heated gloves this morning so time will tell if sharpie is enough or if I need a dab of paint or a sticker on the very top to cut the glare.

seriously thinking about just putting in regular bulbs... (imo the hdb led dash = not worth the cost or effort...and $15 to ship the dash and led's is a little ridiculous)
Old 02-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #158
tweiss
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Attachment 249676
Found this on my front porch last night. Came in from the HDB top clamp group buy here on this site.
I went from this;
Attachment 249677
To this;
Attachment 249677
I even got to go try it out this morning before the freezing rain set in.
Name:  HDB Handlebars 014.jpg
Views: 3243
Size:  193.3 KB
During this process, I got to learn what a nice guy Paul is. After my ride, I learned what a genius he is. Somebody shoud have hired him to design motorcycles.
Lovin this set up!
Tom
tweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #159
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Lower clamp bolt

Anyone know if the lower clamp bolt for the WR250R is a 10mm or 12mm? Thanks

Dan
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison

Ronin ADV screwed with this post 02-26-2011 at 10:36 AM
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #160
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,817
A slight mod to a lovely clamp:

DR350S with Lynx fairing.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #161
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
Laugh HDB rocks....

Very satisfield customer with Paul and HDB, A+ service and quality product.

To finish off project cockpit update, still need to add velcro safety strap and leash for the gps and spot.

GPS wired unswitched (aka always hot) using eastern beaver 3 circuit solution and 4 pin cable.

Purchased taller bottom clamp and KX high bar bend for total rise approx 1 1/2" above stock.

dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #162
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,169
Great looking setup, DV. I have the bare aluminum setup on my WRR, but I think I'm going with the black anodization on my HDB setup for my Super Tenere since everytime I see the setup in black, it looks so great. Plus, I don't think my ST will be dropped as often as my WRR so the black won't get hammered off of the handguard.

For those interested, Paul said he was making an option available where everything EXCEPT the handguards are black (the billet guard itself. Not talking hand shields). That way, if you are putting them on a bike that will be doing a lot of napping, you won't have to worry about beating the black finish to pieces by repeated drops on rocks, etc. Nice to have options.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #163
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
Great looking setup, DV. I have the bare aluminum setup on my WRR, but I think I'm going with the black anodization on my HDB setup for my Super Tenere since everytime I see the setup in black, it looks so great. Plus, I don't think my ST will be dropped as often as my WRR so the black won't get hammered off of the handguard.

For those interested, Paul said he was making an option available where everything EXCEPT the handguards are black (the billet guard itself. Not talking hand shields). That way, if you are putting them on a bike that will be doing a lot of napping, you won't have to worry about beating the black finish to pieces by repeated drops on rocks, etc. Nice to have options.
Dang, I want one of those Super T's bad... will never get it past the wife though...

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #164
Silent Panda
Moms love me

Oddometer: 161
does anyone have pics of HDB set up on a R1200GSA?
Silent Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #165
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Panda View Post
does anyone have pics of HDB set up on a R1200GSA?
+1, I need one for my 2009 and as long as we have the bolt pattern along with the overall width, then it can be built for us...issue is that my bike is 7,000 miles away from me and I fear that my Xch bolt pattern is not the same