Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #31
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRider
Reading the PDF directions for the guards it mentions having to tap the bar ends. I am decent with tools but I have never tapped metal before. What sort of skill level does a person need to pull off this job with a fair degree of confidence? Thing that pop into my ignorant mind is not starting the tapping at a correct angle and ruining the bars for example.

TIA.
Basic level needed...Just make sure everything is centered/aligned...Drive in, WD40, drive out...And you'll be done...very simple
Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #32
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear
Does HDB make a top clamp or mounting kit for this?

http://www.brpmoto.com/product_info....oducts_id=1574
More than likely, measure your bolt spacing and go to the HDB website. You will have to go through the different spacings found on different bike manufacturers stock stuff. I did this for my BRP clamp on my 950 and found what I needed.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 AM   #33
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRider
Reading the PDF directions for the guards it mentions having to tap the bar ends. I am decent with tools but I have never tapped metal before.
I took the easy way out. Since I needed new bars anyway, I ordered them from Paul the same time I ordered the handguards, top clamp, lower clamps, etc. (he can get you any bars you want) and he tapped them for free!
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:29 AM   #34
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejtv
Couldn't get the correct angle to my mirrors given the current angle and location of metal hand-guards/handlebars, so I sawed about a square inch off the outer top edge of both plastic hand-guards.
Good solution. I imagine it depends on how you fit/angle the handguards. I can see how fitting the handguards at a higher angle might necessitate this adjustment. I think my handguards will be angled down enough that it won't be necessary, but I haven't finished tightening everything up yet, so time will tell.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 AM   #35
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country
More than likely, measure your bolt spacing and go to the HDB website. You will have to go through the different spacings found on different bike manufacturers stock stuff. I did this for my BRP clamp on my 950 and found what I needed.
I'm not sure if the hand guard brackets will clear the forward mount Scott stabilizer post. I'm having to install stand offs to use the Trail Tech X2 dual sport light.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #36
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,696
RAM Ball Mount

Just FYI for others looking for the RAM Ball Mount, I picked mine up from gpscity.com Part Number: RAMB236U

Fits perfect on the top clamp, get a nylon lock nut for the under side and call it good!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #37
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
Just FYI for others looking for the RAM Ball Mount, I picked mine up from gpscity.com Part Number: RAMB236U
Yep, that's the same one ejtv specified he installed up above with a link to Rocky Mountain.
It's nice to have multiple verification that the 3/8"-16 is a good one to use.

By the way, since gpscity won't find that part number without the dashes, search for this: RAM-B-236U.
Or better yet, here is the link, click RAM-B-236U

Right now, I have the one that screwed directly into my unused mirror mount. I should check to see if that thread will fit threw the top clamp switch holes. If not, I'll either order the one you guys suggested above or the one below that replaces one of the top clamp bolts, like this: RAM-B-367U

Chadx screwed with this post 02-20-2010 at 02:14 PM
Old 02-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #38
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
I can tell you which ram ball mount not to buy! I bought the 1/4" - 20 and the stud was too small and too short. Don't buy this one:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...FamilyId=24661
OKDQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #39
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Good to know. By the way, I tried the ball that I currently have screwed into my vacant mirror mount and that thread (whatever it is) is too large to fit through the vacant top clamp switch hole.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #40
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Mostly finished the handguard install today. Here is a shot before putting on the mirrors and shields.

Shot from the back. As mentioned earlier, I used custom HDB lower clamps with about 2" of rise over my stock clamps. The bar bend is 1/2" lower than stock netting me 1.5" of rise over stock.

Here it is with the shields and mirrors installed. In this photo, I've changed the handguard orientation compared to the first two photos. They are angled lower here to improve the view from the mirrors. I think they will still give me the needed protection from wind and branches. I'll adjust them to their final position once I get a few rides in. Note the clutch is out of final position in this image, as are some of the other controls. I was still tweaking positioning of everything.

Chadx screwed with this post 04-28-2010 at 08:25 PM
Old 02-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #41
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r

Fits perfect on the top clamp, get a nylon lock nut for the under side and call it good!
Lock nut is 3/8" - 16, make sure its a shorter nut so the nylon actually touches the threads. I put blue lock-tite on mine too. Ran with it today and it worked great, love the placement of my GPS now..

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #42
joenuclear
Planning.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ
I can tell you which ram ball mount not to buy! I bought the 1/4" - 20 and the stud was too small and too short. Don't buy this one:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...FamilyId=24661
1/4 by 20 is for the threads in the bottom of your camera.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #43
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear
1/4 by 20 is for the threads in the bottom of your camera.
That's good to know, maybe I'll come up with a use for it one of these days.
OKDQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #44
joenuclear
Planning.....

If you have a windscreen you can mount and aim your camera and shoot pictures as you ride with your left hand.

YMMV, I personally don't do this or condone/promote it, yadayadayada.... and whatever lawyer speak is needed to cover my butt.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #45
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,586
Excellent write-up Chadx!

I've had the HDB handgaurds and mirrors on my 525 since last fall and was so happy with them that I put a set on my 950 Adventure and my wife's XT225 before heading to Baja in January. Best equipment upgrade I've done to any of the bikes.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote