Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
ericGSsti OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Thinking I might regret it. Advice good or bad. 640 adventure.

Hi lads.

I've rebuilt my 07 model 08 plated 640 adv. I've spent close to €3000 on it since I bought is approximately 4 months ago.

My biggest fear is that I keep it and face this type of rebuild in the future again.

I bought the bike because it was low mileage, I liked the look of it, it was one of the last 640 adventure to be sold and got it bang on the money. So was happy out.

That was as said going on 4 months ago now and I've had the misfortune to have had to do an engine build. The mechanic I trust and have done everything that needed doing along with work on the clutch and starter side of the engine, suspension and even cosmetics.

I'd love to keep it. Save for a 950 and enjoy both bike instead of selling my 640 to buy a 950.

I really don't know what to do. My heart says keep it but my head keeps asking what next?

What would you do.

Just looking for opinion to help make my decision one way or the other.

Are the 640 capable of high mileage one looked after.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -

ericGSsti screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 11:55 AM
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Keep it.

Now you have engine with known history and new parts inside, good starting point.

I have now +131k km on odo, not any real major mechanical problems/breaks after broken clutch chaft bearing, some 105k km ago...
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Keep it......it's rebuilt now........give it a season and then make up your mind.
If you decide to buy a new to you bike, you might just run into the same problems??

Cheers
Old 04-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Are you planning to do Iron Butt type rides on your 640?
(check your dental work!)
Regards long term life ... I think a lot depends on ... LUCK ... and how experienced your mechanic was. Hopefully he knows all the little tricks on KTM rebuilds. Quite a lot to know from what I've read.

What year is your bike? Mid to late 90's 640's had lots of problems. Around 2000 KTM stepped it up, motors held together better (by comparison) from then onward. Of course always exceptions.

Speaking of comparisons ... if you equate long range reliability with your Honda Africa Twin, and use your AT as your standard ... well the KTM is the wrong bike, IMHO. If you're riding mostly ALL off road or racing rallies ... then the KTM is the right bike. But "race" bikes always need rebuilds.
Can you afford to race?

Look around in the world (on ADV LC4 threads) and see what average mileages are. Look at ride reports. How many LC4's make it RTW? Or across Europe even?

Dozens of AT's have made it RTW ... many two up and overloaded.
BTW, if you get a big KTM twin, I'd go 990, F.I. for a variety of reasons.
Much better fuel economy, more reliable.

I'd sell the 640 and move on. The sad part is you probably won't get back what you've got into it. All the best!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,008
I would keep it.

Unless someone stuffed up on the rebuild you should not have to touch it for another 50000Klm, and even then it would just be an inspection.

I replaced the piston in my 02 ADV at 55 or 60k and the old one looked brand new like the rest of the insides (I only replaced it because I thought it might be about due for some preventative maintenance and I was putting on a high flow head).

And don't listen to idiots like the one above, he hasn't got a clue when it comes to anything other than Jap bikes, and even then I wouldn't listen to him.

Keep it, they are awesome bikes and not race bikes like some people seem to think, and are not high maintenance.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
dog'meat
Presidient

Oddometer: 168
yeah what he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
I would keep it.

Unless someone stuffed up on the rebuild you should not have to touch it for another 50000Klm, and even then it would just be an inspection.

I replaced the piston in my 02 ADV at 55 or 60k and the old one looked brand new like the rest of the insides (I only replaced it because I thought it might be about due for some preventative maintenance and I was putting on a high flow head).

And don't listen to idiots like the one above, he hasn't got a clue when it comes to anything other than Jap bikes, and even then I wouldn't listen to him.

Keep it, they are awesome bikes and not race bikes like some people seem to think, and are not high maintenance.
+1 see signature
Mexico City, Xilitla, Aquismon, the Cave, the River and the Shangrila...
Mexico City, Cuetzalan, Nautla, Veracruz
dog'meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
ericGSsti OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Thumb

Thanks for the replies lads.

Had a sleepless night last night thinking about what to do.

I've decided that I'll collect it during the week and start riding it again. I have a trip planned for a weekend in two weeks time so I'll bring the 640. It's an on/off road weekend in Co. Down so she'll be tested there.

I'll keep her advertised until I'm sold on her again. Really want to keep it so hope all goes well. Loved the idea of this bike. Just didn't like forking out more then half what I paid for her in such a sort space of time.

My machanic was trained by KTM themselves when he work as a mechanic in the first KTM dealership here in Dublin and rides KTM himself so he does know his stuff. Thankfully.

I'll post pics of my after op clean up when I get it Back.

Thanks,

Eric.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,239
Hi Mate, yes they are capable of decent mileage. It's just that on the net you usually only hear the horror stories.

Apart from the usual servicing I hardly worked on mine until it needed a starter clutch, cam bearings & a water pump rebuild at 50k km. Then, at 95k km it needed a big rebuild. It's at 120k km now, all I've done out of the ordinary since 95k is give the carb some new parts & weld up a crack in the subframe.

If you want something you can use hard offroad & also tour on there's not much that's better.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote