User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #16
djones745
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Great Work

Damn, between Lukas and you I have to go buy a DR!

djones745 screwed with this post 02-02-2010 at 05:39 AM
djones745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #17
dylandr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Wicked

Howzat all

This is just perfect !

I have some questions.

1. How many layers of GFK did you apply ?
2. Did you use 2K Epoxy ?
2. a.) if so did you use a 5min or 1h or 24h Hardener ?
3. Or did you use Polyester with a hardener ?
3. a.) if so did you use a liquid Hardener and was it a 5min 1h or 24 h hardener.

I really like the way you fabricated your fairing. All my experiments with producing a rallye fairing went terribly wrong.

I used Polyester with liquid hardener (5min Hardener) and maybe 4 to five layers of Gfk. First it was too heavy and second some areas never got hard and some areas were sticky. I assume i did something wrong with the mix ratio of Polyester to Hardener. And of course the five min hardener was always too fast hard and so i killed a lot of brushs (a graveyard of brushs).

I wont picture my work because its something to be ashame of.......

Greetings and keep up the good work

TTrider

TTrider.
I have no idea what resin etc I used but the stuff set bloody fast! It states on the bottle that small quantities should be mixed... the first batch I mixed ended up having a tub full of hard resin and only a small bit of area covered on the fairing. then I followed instructions and VOILA!

Okay, so this past weekend I flatted the fairing and filled all the low spots using mat and resin... there are still a few small holes but I'm done with sanding this thing! Its a really messy/ itchy exercise! I had to wash the garage out after the last session!!
I need to get hold of some body putty so I can fill the small holes. Then I need to find a pannelbeater to spray the fairing! Any suggestions on what colour? I was thinking black. The lazer cutters dropped me last week, but this week I'll be on them like a fly on shit!!!
Here's a pic of the progress this weekend:[IMG][/IMG]
dylandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:26 AM   #18
dylandr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Eh? doodle

Okay, Been stuffing around on paint... whats it probably gonna look like? [IMG][/IMG]

The closest I could get it.
All I need is a GIXAR can to finish it off! and maybe ...[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-02-2010, 03:01 AM   #19
dylandr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking Cool beans!!!

Spoke to the laser cutters today... my shit needs to be picked up and payed for! The only other things in the way are bending the frame mount brackets, spraying the fairing routing wires and installing everything.

Can't wait to give it a shakedown! Will keep you all up to the happenings!

Cheers Dyl
Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #20
dylandr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Good day all.

So I got my parts from the laser cutters yesterday and started putting everything together. Took a bit of figuring out due to the fact that the nav tower was originally designed to fit on the original bracket which the OEM headlight mounts on. I have to fabricate some spacers to fit between the nav tower and frame bracket still but it looks like everything is fitting! I filled the fairing with spot filler and hopefully I can send it in for painting soon. Here are some pics....[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers Dyl
Old 02-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #21
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
That's awesome! Do you think there would be any clearance issues if you went to an IMS tank (which I can't imagine NOT wanting to do with that baby)?

--Heath
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #22
dylandr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

IMS fit

I guess the only problem would be to adapt the fairing to the tank in another way (different mold) Sure it could be done.... If I've got this far.
Will like to do the IMS/Safari upgrade someday!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #23
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylandr
Good day all.

So I got my parts from the laser cutters yesterday and started putting everything together. Took a bit of figuring out due to the fact that the nav tower was originally designed to fit on the original bracket which the OEM headlight mounts on. I have to fabricate some spacers to fit between the nav tower and frame bracket still but it looks like everything is fitting!

Cheers Dyl

Dylan,

You are the man! That thing absolutely rocks!

I can't make-out the bracket that goes around the steering neck. However, I am hoping you will enlighten us some more, before this whole thing is "said and done".

Awesome!

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #24
dylandr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Dylan,

You are the man! That thing absolutely rocks!

I can't make-out the bracket that goes around the steering neck. However, I am hoping you will enlighten us some more, before this whole thing is "said and done".

Awesome!

Howzat WARRIORPRINCEJJ

The steering stem bracket I designed and made from 4mm mild steel plate. The two brackets mount on existing holes in the frame (tapped) where the plastic tank fender/ cable guide mount. I will put a threaded 6mm bar right through these holes (through the frame gusset) to make it a bit stronger.
On the front end I connected the two using a 10mm id pipe with a 10mm stainless steel threaded bar with nylock nuts to stop the horizontal movement.
To mount the nav tower to this I am thinking of using M6 long nuts to space the tower from the bracket and then bolt on the nav tower. I am one for overdesign and I don't know if this will be supportive enough for the tower.... Suggestions? Here's a pic[IMG][/IMG]

Cheers Dyl
Old 02-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #25
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Howzat WARRIORPRINCEJJ

The steering stem bracket I designed and made from 4mm mild steel plate. The two brackets mount on existing holes in the frame (tapped) where the plastic tank fender/ cable guide mount. I will put a threaded 6mm bar right through these holes (through the frame gusset) to make it a bit stronger.
On the front end I connected the two using a 10mm id pipe with a 10mm stainless steel threaded bar with nylock nuts to stop the horizontal movement.
To mount the nav tower to this I am thinking of using M6 long nuts to space the tower from the bracket and then bolt on the nav tower. I am one for overdesign and I don't know if this will be supportive enough for the tower.... Suggestions?...

Cheers Dyl
Good Lord, Dylan!...You had me going to the garage, coming back inside, reading your description, scrolling through the photos, grabbing the flashlight, going back outside, etc.

Dylan, you will forget more about fabricating than I will ever know. So, I must admit, I feel kinda' stupid sharing my opinion(s) with you.

I love your "overdesign" belief. I am the same way...I overbuild and over-buy everything.

Am I correct...You have two 6mm (threaded) bars running between the frame gussets? In my very humble opinion, I think that's a great idea (load distribution between the bolts). My concern would be with the vertical movement of the tower. As you know, the weight of the tower (increased with any additions) is going to act like a bar, and increase the load on the rearmost bolts (mounting bolts), exponentially. Offroad riding will increase the force of that load.

Can the gussets be tapped, further forward (of the holes that you are using to mount the brackets), so that one or more mounting points can be added? Just a thought...

(Approximately) how much does the tower portion weigh? I would think that six long nuts (from what I can see) will hold it for sure. Only you will know, as you can actually feel the weight of the tower with light(s), Vapor, G.P.S.(?), etc.

One more thought (maybe two), and then I will quit running my pie-hole. I would think some rubber, in between some of your mounting points/spacer will help with the harmonics that the huge piston will transmit (through you motorcycle frame) to your brackets, tower, etc. Oh, and I'm sure a little damping (light loctite) on the nuts/bolt wouldn't hurt.

Once again, you are the man! When can I order mine?

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 02-04-2010 at 02:25 AM
Old 02-04-2010, 02:28 AM   #26
dylandr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Just what I wanted

Thanks WARRIORPRINCEJJ

I need the advice... Its good to get advice from someone else as sometimes a person will overlook or underthink the actual application and stresses which will be pit onto the part.
If I had to drill an extra 2 M6 holes through the frame gussets, further forward do you think it would weaken the frame at all? I don't wanna skrew around only to have my forks break off on a big jump.
Your opinion is definately appreciated!!

On the rubber spacers, I will be putting rubber spacers between the frame mount brackets and the frame as I had the same problem with a skid plate I once tried to build that sounded like I was being haunted! Please keep the advice going...

Cheers Dyl

Ps. I don't think th whole tower weighs more than 3kg.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:56 AM   #27
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Thanks WARRIORPRINCEJJ

I need the advice... Its good to get advice from someone else as sometimes a person will overlook or underthink the actual application and stresses which will be pit onto the part.
If I had to drill an extra 2 M6 holes through the frame gussets, further forward do you think it would weaken the frame at all? I don't wanna skrew around only to have my forks break off on a big jump.
Your opinion is definately appreciated!!

On the rubber spacers, I will be putting rubber spacers between the frame mount brackets and the frame as I had the same problem with a skid plate I once tried to build that sounded like I was being haunted! Please keep the advice going...

Cheers Dyl

Ps. I don't think th whole tower weighs more than 3kg.

Dylan,

No worries...I think your project is awesome, and I am honored that you would allow me to share my opinion(s) during it's final stages.

You know how it goes...Everything looks great while it's static ("posing for pics."). Then, you go-out and beat on it, and find-out how it really works.

My gut tells me that one or two (added) five-to-six millimeter holes, in your gussets, is not going to completely destroy/tank your structural rigidity (especially one more hole). However, please do not (***DO NOT***) go by what I am thinking.

I'm leaving for West Texas today. Otherwise, I would have my friend (mechanical engineer) weigh-in.

Lukas and Ron should be up-and-about any minute now. Those two could build a working motorcycle out of a pile of wooden blocks. I'm sure they will tell you whether my idea is crap or not.

Good Luck, Bro. It's looking awesome thus far...

J.J.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #28
dylandr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Lukas , Ron , Mezo , DRjoe...... opinions? 1 or 2 extra holes gonna cause my frame to bust in half?

Thanks for the vote of confidence WORRIORPRINCEJJ.

Cheers Dyl
Old 02-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #29
Ron Seida
Adventman

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Lukas , Ron , Mezo , DRjoe...... opinions? 1 or 2 extra holes gonna cause my frame to bust in half?

Thanks for the vote of confidence WORRIORPRINCEJJ.

Cheers Dyl
You called?
First of all, awesome job Dylan . I really admire your ingenuity and design. I've always built things off the cuff and conquer problems as i encounter them, thumbs up to great planning.
Definately drill a third hole for the mounting plate to triangulate the forces that will be applied to the frame. Your motorcycle frame will be fine, its plenty strong. While your at it, drill out the threaded holes to a larger size and through bolt with graded plated bolts and all will be fine.I don't believe your threaded rod idea will work, as the threads most likely are not in sync. If they are, i would buy a lottery ticket. In fact, if you through bolt, this will strengthen your frame, all good . I was going to go this route but decided it was easier to just weld a flange onto the motorcycle frame and bolt on an already made frame.
Constructive criticism: Rubber mount your light! Or the vibrations will kill it in half the time. Same with your mounting points for the fairing, dampen wherever you can. The fiber glass on your tank will rub off all your paint, so be sure to stick some felt to it. I used some stuff from Home Depot that you use for furniture legs to keep from scratching the floor. Looking forward to your follow-up ...
D. Irwin...
Ron Seida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #30
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,373
subscribed.
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote