Old 02-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #49
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylandr
Howzat all

Got a question for you all.
If you remove the stock speedo there is a spacer/drive left on the front right hand side of the front wheel... Is there some sort of blanking insert that you can buy to stop the dust and shit from getting into the drive?
I'm thinking of machining one of these blanking plugs but I'm sure someone has got a better solution...

Anyone?

Cheers Dyl
Speedometer Drive Eliminator
Old 02-12-2010, 01:28 AM   #50
dylandr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Bluhduh

Hi all

Didn't get much time in the garage last night, the missus wanted some attention so I had to give in! Tonight will be the same.... but tomorrow I will definately try to get the fiberglass prepped for painting on monday. I would like to have the whole thing finished by mid-next week so I can start testing it on a bit of gravel and see if there are any shortfalls in my design or my fabrication.
Yesterday I ordered a piece of polycarbonate/lexan for the light cover so I'll cut it out sometime this weekend.
After all that I need to paste the high density foam on the shrouds that connect the fairing to the tank. Also going to paste a vinyl sticker on the tank and then stick the high density foam to that... want a bit of vibration damping.
wills post a few pics soon.

Cheers Dyl

PS. Thanks DisTech, will check it out!
dylandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:11 AM   #51
Leipo
'08 wr250r

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Howzat all!

Yesterday I decided to redo the bending work of the side braces that fix the fairing to the tank as they where not neat enough for my liking.
Tools day was yesterday, Had a helluva time trying to cope with tools I still need in the man cave (vice etc). So I ended up building a tool to bend flat bar and a compass to mark off where the light cutouts need to be.
Anyway, did the bending and fitting over again and then started cutting holes into the fairing for my new EYES to see through.
Couldn't help myself and I took the beast for a ride around the estate.... Flippen awesome!!!
I also found a guy who will spray the fairing .... R400 (Rand) Not too bad.
All in all, things are looking good!
Today I will drill a few more holes in the fairing to mount the fairing to the side braces and then give it one more look over with the spot filler and then its off to the painter who said it shouldn't take longer than 2 days.
Can't wait for the long trip we're gonna do soon!!!
Here are some pics...
[IMG][/IMG]
Light cutouts.
[IMG][/IMG]
Dims (much brighter in person: shyte camera)
[IMG][/IMG]
Brights (like I said... Shyte camera)

Keep well guys

Cheers Dyl
try to take the pictures without the extra light on the house in the upper right corner your camera is trying to avoid overexposed sections and thus the overall picture will be darker
Leipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #52
dylandr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool2 a-waitin'

Howzat all.

Not such a productive weekend, but I finished what I needed to in order to be able to drop the fairing off at the painters this afternoon after work.
Had some sanding to do on the fairing, luckily not too much tho!
I also stuck the high density foam on the side supports that need to make contact with the fairing.
On Friday I received the lexan/polycarbonate that I ordered and with my trusty dremel managed to cut a light cover for the fairing... gonna look kick ass!
I will keep you all posted on the happenings as I go and as soon as there is a bit of colour on that fairing I will post some more pics!!
Can't wait for the shakedown or the 1400km trip we're planning to do on the 25th.

Cheers Dyl
Old 02-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #53
dylandr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool2 Still a-waitin

Howzat all

Yesterday I dropped the fairing off at the painters. 2 minutes later the painters phoned to say that I can pick the fairing up after work tomorrow, so I'll be picking it up today!!! F#@*ing A!!!!
I can't seem to get the wiring routed so that it doesn't cause tension on the connectors tho, does anyone have a pic of how the cables are routed from the handlebars to the nav tower on a real rally bike? Please... would help a ton! Otherwise I'll just have to do my best and hope like hell I don't rip wires off.
I will post some pics tomorrow of the FULL, PAINTED assembly ... gonna do the first ride to work tomorrow hopefully!!!

Cheers Dyl
Old 02-16-2010, 01:00 AM   #54
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Howzat all

Yesterday I dropped the fairing off at the painters. 2 minutes later the painters phoned to say that I can pick the fairing up after work tomorrow, so I'll be picking it up today!!! F#@*ing A!!!!
I can't seem to get the wiring routed so that it doesn't cause tension on the connectors tho, does anyone have a pic of how the cables are routed from the handlebars to the nav tower on a real rally bike? Please... would help a ton! Otherwise I'll just have to do my best and hope like hell I don't rip wires off.
I will post some pics tomorrow of the FULL, PAINTED assembly ... gonna do the first ride to work tomorrow hopefully!!!

Cheers Dyl
They use longer and different looms. How about lengthening your current loom, might take a while but it can save you some headaches in the long run.
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #55
stevh0
Super Retard.

time to fit a low front fender and a drz/rm rear end!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #56
dylandr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Eh?

Explain the RM/DRZ rear end?

Do you mean a front roadkill scraper?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:42 AM   #57
stevh0
Super Retard.

If you are going for the rally look, I think a low fender looks better than the high mounted fender.

Lowmount.

HighMount

what I meant with the tail piece is the high fender eliminator kit, getting rid of the OEM numberplate holder ect.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 AM   #58
dylandr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

Stevho.

I like the concept, only problem, as you know is that these cops round here don't appreciate not having a number plate.
The first thing I removed off the DR when I bought it was that FUGLY number plate mount, 2nd was those kak reflectors that where on the shocks.
After that I couldn't stop myself and I started pimping her.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #59
dylandr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink Finally! Whooooo hooooo!

Howzat all

I finally got everything together! I mounted the fairing which looks like a black mirror by the way, sorted out the cable routing, mounted the light cover and blead the front brakes with the help of a good mate of mine Werner.
Had my hands full with the bleeding of the front brake seeing as I drained the line so that I could re-route the line. In the end, we used a condom (yes you heard me) to assist in the process! I was desperate to ride to work today!!!
I then took it for a test haul to see if anything was vibrating.... Absolutely piss all rattled... no noise!!!
Anyway, here's some pics to assist with a Semi Orgasm!!!
[IMG][/IMG]
The inspector.... He says it looks good!!
[IMG][/IMG]
The re routing of the cables!!
[IMG][/IMG]
Pose with designer and maker!
[IMG][/IMG]
The condom we used for bleedin the brakes.
[IMG][/IMG]
Werner and the finished product.

Well the only thing left to do is put new blinkers on the front... I'm in no particular hurry to do it yet tho, mu budget is shot ta shit!

Let me know what you guys think, I would have posted more pics but my camera's batteries died. Will take more soon!

Cheers Dyl
Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #60
ren-jr.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Laugh

Awesome work sir. It's threads like these that keep me itching to do something about my KLR650's stock fairings....

Gotta love the Dakar Style!!!!!
ren-jr. is offline   Reply With Quote