User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

Oddometer: 6,277
Any Biathlon Competitors Out There?

XC skiing and shooting? Not some other two sport combo.

I'm probably the only one here, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

2whlrcr screwed with this post 11-17-2014 at 05:22 PM
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 2,177
Old 11-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

I guess the crickets are still chirping. The season is just around the corner here. Nobody?
Old 11-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
I looked again the only biathlon team in Ohio is the National Guard.
While I would love to do the events together, I'm old and fat and we don't get enough snow. I need new xc boots, by the time I got everything together last year the snow was gone.I hope to get out this year. Good Luck in your events.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

Damn, I thought I had a cohort for a second. There are only about 5 or 6 events a year within reasonable driving distance for me, so it's tough to make a major investment.

My old boots were falling apart too, although my skis were still in good shape. I just picked up new Alpina boots tonight and had to have new bindings mounted, because of the different system.

Our local ski hill opens tomorrow, so I'm gonna go out and get some skate practice around the bunny hill area. I'm old, not too fat and have ski race experience, but never while carrying a rifle.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

First race of the season is Sunday. Been getting some snow time at the resort, even though there is none on the ground here. The biathlon venue makes snow.

Anybody else yet?
Old 12-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

Raced today. Boy I suck at this.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
bobcat
recalculating

Oddometer: 3,072
Which part do you suck at, the skiing or the shooting? Or the combination of trying to hit a target when your heart is trying to jump out of your chest? What kind of rifle do you use? Does everyone use the same kind of rifle?

I like watching it during the Olympics. Actually all the x country events are fun to watch. Those are some unbelievably fit athletes.
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
Which part do you suck at, the skiing or the shooting? Or the combination of trying to hit a target when your heart is trying to jump out of your chest? What kind of rifle do you use? Does everyone use the same kind of rifle?

I like watching it during the Olympics. Actually all the x country events are fun to watch. Those are some unbelievably fit athletes.
I guess I suck less at the skiing part. I'm no Olympic athlete, but I've XC ski raced off and on over the years. I'm a decent shooter by itself and have done a few service rifle matches, but again mostly just plinking. Once you try to shoot with your breathing and heartrate through the roof, it's a whole different ball game. Last event I only hit 7 out of 20 targets. The best shooter of the day hit 14 out of 20.

It's all .22 caliber and at the Olympic level Anschutz is the rifle. Most are heavily modified. Club level again Anschutz, Ishmash and a number of Savage, Marlin type conversions. I've got an Eastern Sierra Armory Savage conversion which can get you in the game for reasonable amount of money. I was not willing to drop $5K for a race ready Anschutz.

Austin? Did you know the US National Cyclocross championships are in town next week? Another sport I like to torture myself with.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
bobcat
recalculating

Oddometer: 3,072
Didn't know about the cyclocross, I may go watch some of it. Might inspire me to get back to exercising regularly.
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

I'd like to come down and race, but it's just further than I want to travel.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #12
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

This is fun having my very own thread.

Raced again today. 10K with 2 prone and 2 standing rounds. It was 6F with 20-30mph gusty winds, which brought the windchill down to -20F, so it was COLD out.

Skied like shit and shot 55% which is good for me, so I didn't suck quite as bad this time.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #13
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 6,361
I always wanted a fully rigged Biathlon rifle. Is the Olympic version a .22 LR as well as yours. I am not interested in the sport as much as the gun. I alpine ski only.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #14
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,163
Something that I wanted to get into but never did. I both shoot and XC ski. Though not well at either. And I stride not skate.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #15
2whlrcr OP
gooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by little foot View Post
I always wanted a fully rigged Biathlon rifle. Is the Olympic version a .22 LR as well as yours. I am not interested in the sport as much as the gun. I alpine ski only.
I just responded to your question in the Rimfire thread. Yes all sanctioned biathlons use .22 LR, shooting standard velocity ammo.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: