ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #706
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple
I don't think our relationship has reached that level yet.

GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:27 AM   #707
agspecialties
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Taking off today at noon for the Dakota Dual sport ride. Will keep you guys posted about the trip.
agspecialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:29 AM   #708
Yossarian™ OP
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by agspecialties
Taking off today at noon for the Dakota Dual sport ride. Will keep you guys posted about the trip.
Have fun, be safe.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #709
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,031
Have Fun, take a rain jacket!
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #710
agspecialties
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Shit, going to be great weather.
agspecialties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #711
vwnomad
ADVirgin

Oddometer: 16
Sturgis in August. Kinda long post......

Still a relative noob here as a poster on this site and I am ecstatic to post this future RR. (Preface) I have lived in Nebraska for 14 years of my life and am proud to call it home. My family has lived in Alliance, Gering and Grand Island with my father being a Meteorologist in Hastings. I would love to brag about the benefits that this state has provided me and all of the benefits that living here provides, but I am speaking to the choir. 2.5 years ago, I was going through a divorce after moving back here from AZ and my father was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer (57 y/o, get your colonoscopy). These last couple of years have been a transitional time in all of our lives and have brought us closer in all aspects of the word. We have been spending quality time together and over the last couple of weeks, my father and I have had some great conversation and bonding. His cancer treatment, performed at UNMC, has been chemo every two weeks for the last couple of years. The last 9 months, his cancer has had no recent growth and the tumors in his liver and lung have not progressed and his colon tumor is gone. So good fortune on that end. Anyway to make a long story short, he is purchasing a KLR 650 in Sioux City on saturday to ride and experience the part of life that he has been ignoring since leaving the Marines. Let me also state that he is healthy enough to ride, he still works full time for NOAA. I have mapped out a route to Sturgis that will be all dirt roads from Bennet to Sturgis this August. I am pretty good so far as to routes from Sturgis to south of Hay Springs, but I am having trouble on Google Earth, going through the Sandhills. I am not sure if the roads shown are private and I am looking for a little help if you guys have been through there. I want to stay off pavement as much as I can and I can navigate from Callaway to Bennet on dirt. It's just that big section in between. Sorry for the long report, but your help would definetly be appreciated. Safe travels.
vwnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #712
jtemple
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnomad
Still a relative noob here as a poster on this site and I am ecstatic to post this future RR. (Preface) I have lived in Nebraska for 14 years of my life and am proud to call it home. My family has lived in Alliance, Gering and Grand Island with my father being a Meteorologist in Hastings. I would love to brag about the benefits that this state has provided me and all of the benefits that living here provides, but I am speaking to the choir. 2.5 years ago, I was going through a divorce after moving back here from AZ and my father was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer (57 y/o, get your colonoscopy). These last couple of years have been a transitional time in all of our lives and have brought us closer in all aspects of the word. We have been spending quality time together and over the last couple of weeks, my father and I have had some great conversation and bonding. His cancer treatment, performed at UNMC, has been chemo every two weeks for the last couple of years. The last 9 months, his cancer has had no recent growth and the tumors in his liver and lung have not progressed and his colon tumor is gone. So good fortune on that end. Anyway to make a long story short, he is purchasing a KLR 650 in Sioux City on saturday to ride and experience the part of life that he has been ignoring since leaving the Marines. Let me also state that he is healthy enough to ride, he still works full time for NOAA. I have mapped out a route to Sturgis that will be all dirt roads from Bennet to Sturgis this August. I am pretty good so far as to routes from Sturgis to south of Hay Springs, but I am having trouble on Google Earth, going through the Sandhills. I am not sure if the roads shown are private and I am looking for a little help if you guys have been through there. I want to stay off pavement as much as I can and I can navigate from Callaway to Bennet on dirt. It's just that big section in between. Sorry for the long report, but your help would definetly be appreciated. Safe travels.
Great success story! From one noob to another, welcome!
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #713
Yossarian™ OP
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnomad
I am pretty good so far as to routes from Sturgis to south of Hay Springs, but I am having trouble on Google Earth, going through the Sandhills. I am not sure if the roads shown are private and I am looking for a little help if you guys have been through there.
In my experiences in the Sandhills, some of the "through" roads are private or gated, but as long as you are diligent in closing gates behind you, staying on the roads/tracks (not wandering far afield), and not bothering any livestock, you should be okay.

Be aware that cell service gets spotty out there. If you suffer a breakdown while 20 miles away from a main road it could be a bit of a hike.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #714
ofrogg
the grey R1200GS frog

Oddometer: 107
Headin' through Nebraska and Iowa on my way to Madison, WI on Monday. Probably stay at Waubonsie SP Monday night... Good/Bad?

Backup is to head back up north to I-80 to find a hotel.

Hope the weather doesn't thundershit all over me...
ofrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #715
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofrogg
Headin' through Nebraska and Iowa on my way to Madison, WI on Monday. Probably stay at Waubonsie SP Monday night... Good/Bad?

Backup is to head back up north to I-80 to find a hotel.

Hope the weather doesn't thundershit all over me...
Tent space and a cold beer here in Lincoln if you need it.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #716
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSbiker
Tent space and a cold beer here in Lincoln if you need it.
"beer" is kind of stretching the truth a little bit?
Old 06-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #717
Yossarian™ OP
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodder
"beer" is kind of stretching the truth a little bit?
I'm glad you were the one to say it.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #718
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Hey this frogg guy is from Colorado. He knows good beer.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:01 PM   #719
MetalBender
none

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofrogg
I think it's pretty nice myself, especially the new bath house.
MetalBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #720
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSbiker
Hey this frogg guy is from Colorado. He knows good beer is not brewed in Golden.
fixed.