Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #1831
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post
Well if it's okay, here is the new Tag: A house that was built before 1900.

Sheeeeze, this'll be easy for our European inmates! Half of everything over there was built before 1900, shit, probably before 1600!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #1832
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 749
First of all - you're right, the task is indeed easy. Most houses in our region are pre-1900.
But - it is much more difficult to find one with a "proof", meaning a date on it. I passed whole villages that were probably built in the late middle-ages with no house being younger than from 1700... No dates whatsoever.
I was really looking hard on the way back home. I resisted all the towers, churches and castles as cakmakli was asking for a house..
In the end I found I nice wooden one from 1840 with a date on it, but it was not possible to take a photo in front of it. Then I found this nice hotel:

The plaque says that it was built in 1866.

Well, finally I rode 80km and found the best one at the very end:

Our place!
Built in 1871, as you can see from the inscription above the door. At least you could see it, if I had my good camera here.. It was already getting dark and the old one is really bad in these conditions. Sorry for that...

So, I hope that's ok.

BTW cakmakli: How do you know the shed in your tag is from before 1900?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, here's the new tag:

Any sign etc. with an inverted letter in it!
Virtual, useless bonus points without any value, if it is a club!

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #1833
cakmakli
Made It - Army Retired

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
BTW cakmakli: How do you know the shed in your tag is from before 1900?
LINK

The cabin was built in the 1780's when there were still Indian attacks in the area. That's why it doesn't have a lot of windows.

LINK

By the way, I love the architecture of the house you found. Thanks for taking the time to find something special.

cakmakli screwed with this post 06-01-2011 at 06:21 PM
cakmakli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #1834
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:
LINK

The cabin was built in the 1780's when there were still Indian attacks in the area. That's why it doesn't have a lot of windows.

LINK

By the way, I love the architecture of the house you found. Thanks for taking the time to find something special.
Cool! Thanks for the link.

You mean the wooden house? As I said, that is actually the house we live in. That's the typical style of "chalets" in Valais. Most of them are smaller, though. In our case, it is an old farmhouse, built by the grand-grand father of the owner who also lives in it. He renovated it and made two big appartements. We were very lucky to find this place!
In most mountain villages, like ours, you are only allowed to build wooden chalets like that, so the villages will stay "nice" and "original".
The houses are were traditionally built with dark, resistant wood or the wood was even blackened, so that it kept the warmth. The roofs are built like that (sloping and protruding, if these are the correct words) to protect them and the balconies and windows from the snow. If you would build flat roofs here they would certainly collapse under the snow.
And then, of course, there is a big tradition in carving here in Switzerland, so all houses have ornaments and stuff. Really gorgeous.
As I said ours was a farmhouse, so it is not the nicest one around for sure.
Here's another photo of the front:

Alright and now let's tag on!

Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 AM   #1835
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
Cool! Thanks for the link.

You mean the wooden house? As I said, that is actually the house we live in. That's the typical style of "chalets" in Valais. Most of them are smaller, though. In our case, it is an old farmhouse, built by the grand-grand father of the owner who also lives in it. He renovated it and made two big appartements. We were very lucky to find this place!
In most mountain villages, like ours, you are only allowed to build wooden chalets like that, so the villages will stay "nice" and "original".
The houses are were traditionally built with dark, resistant wood or the wood was even blackened, so that it kept the warmth. The roofs are built like that (sloping and protruding, if these are the correct words) to protect them and the balconies and windows from the snow. If you would build flat roofs here they would certainly collapse under the snow.
And then, of course, there is a big tradition in carving here in Switzerland, so all houses have ornaments and stuff. Really gorgeous.
As I said ours was a farmhouse, so it is not the nicest one around for sure.
Here's another photo of the front:

Alright and now let's tag on!
nce,its snippets of info like this that make ths game like no other...now is that inverted or reversed...
Old 06-03-2011, 05:05 AM   #1836
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
nce,its snippets of info like this that make ths game like no other...now is that inverted or reversed...
As you like it... :)

Old 06-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #1837
cakmakli
Made It - Army Retired

I tried to get the bonus points but after two days of looking could not located a Club with a backwards letter - so I settled for a Toy Store

I'll have the new one up tomorrow morning.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #1838
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Good grab anyway!
Didn't think of Toys 'R' Us at all when posting the grab... We do have those over here.

Tomorrow morning then! That will be afternoon for me then. I will probably be changing my chain and sprockets by then. Wish me luck.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #1839
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,951
Quote:
I tried to get the bonus points but after two days of looking could not located a Club with a backwards letter - so I settled for a Toy Store.
That was my plan until I discovered that the two or three that were around here when my kid was at the age when I'd need them to be, have all since closed down and gone away.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #1840
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
I'll have the new one up tomorrow morning.
It's already tomorrow afternoon in Australia!

No pressure or anything.... It's just that sunny Saturday afternoons in winter are not to be wasted!
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #1841
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
It's already tomorrow afternoon in Australia!

No pressure or anything.... It's just that sunny Saturday afternoons in winter are not to be wasted!
and its a long weekend here this weekend.....I could go for three tags tomorrow!
Old 06-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #1842
cakmakli
Made It - Army Retired

New Tag - A picture that shows an overview of the city, town, or village that you live in or the closest one to you and maybe tell a little bit about it. If you have no hills then do the best you can.

My picture isn't the greatest. I got there around 0700 and the sun was already up.

This is Pittsburgh. In the background you the can see where the Allegheny River and the Monongahela River comes together to form the Ohio River. There at the point is where the French built Fort Duquesne in 1753. After the French abandoned and destroyed Fort Duquesne in 1758 the British rebuilt it and named it Fort Pitt.

The city has 456 bridges and is known as the "City of Bridges". It is also know as the Steel City because of its former steel manufacturing base. It has a population of 305,704. In both 2009 and 2011, Pittsburgh was named the most livable city in the United States and 29th-most-livable city worldwide by The Economist and in 2010 it was listed by Forbes and Yahoo! as the most livable city in the United States.

Sports is huge in Pittsburgh. All of its major professional sports teams—the Steelers of the National Football League, the Penguins of the National Hockey League, and the Pirates of Major League Baseball share the same team colors, Black and Gold which is the official city colors. In 2009 Sporting News named Pittsburgh the "Best Sports City" in the United States when both the Steelers and the Penguins won Championships.

cakmakli screwed with this post 06-04-2011 at 06:25 AM
Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #1843
Finally
... that element.

Oddometer: 181
I think this is a cool tag.

But being in Florida, I just don't think I could do it justice from an overpass!

Looking forward to seeing the grab though...
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #1844
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

tagged

Wellington New Zealand

Capital City of New Zealand not such a nice day today,Foreground is the railyards and New(ish) Stadium home ground for the Hurricanes( Wellington's Regional Super 14 Rugby Team)

Population of the city itself is 180.000, in the Wellington region there is 440 000
You may have heard Wellington called by its nickname Windy Wellington - and it's true, it can be windy here - being the only capital city in the world located in the 'Roaring Forties' will do that. Wellington's beautiful setting has been carved out by nature, and we wan't you to enjoy it, so this weather information will help you decide when to come(courtesy http://www.wellingtonnz.com)

On a nicer day it would look like this

you can see the same seat n both pics.This is not an "official" overlook the main subject was the stadium for our local tag game

advNZer? screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 03:34 AM
advNZer? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #1845
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

let the juices flow

a view of your bike from somewhere "unusual"

ths is the unusual view

this is the normal view

googl maps co oridnates -41.284172,174.826032

hope i dont upset anyone with old tag pics