User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
RickS OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Riding suggestions around nachitoches LA

Will be spending a week in Natchitoches LA in the near future. Any decent day rides in the area? Will be on a street bike so no off road stuff.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 908
Lots of flat, straight, and boring roads in that area.

Seriously, I'm about 80 miles from there and have ridden around the area some. There really isn't any great riding around there.

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
RickS OP
Studly Adventurer

We got the market cornered on flat boring roads here in SW Oklahoma. We are also in a drought so everything is burnt up. At least you have trees that are green and water in rivers. That would be a nice switch.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
bluestar
misfit

Well, it would be different for you. Change of scenery and all that. You could probably find some interesting things to see in the area. Toledo Bend reservoir is close or you could ride up and down the Red River. It's not a place I would go to just to ride a bike but if you're going to be in the area anyway, you might as well ride around some. I'll have to look at the map and see if I can give you some better suggestions.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
RickS OP
Studly Adventurer

Funny you should mention the red river. It is 9 miles south of town and the same one that runs down there. No water in it up here.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Skullsplitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
There are some nice back roads around there. Long leaf vista is nice..hwy south of there is nice..and roads toward the lake are good. Gentle hills and pine country. I will look for some hwy names for ya.
Skullsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
bluestar
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Funny you should mention the red river. It is 9 miles south of town and the same one that runs down there. No water in it up here.
Red River at Natchitoches:

Taken last year but it still has plenty of water in it as of last May. Wasn't really a dry summer so most rivers and lakes should have a good bit of water.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #8
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,147
Melrose Plantation, ~20-25mi south of town, is worth a visit ... really serene.

If you have the time and inclination, you could leave early Saturday morning, honk down I-49, peel off on US167 south to LA13 to Mamou and be parked in Fred's Lounge at 8A when the live Cajun music starts (and the pony beers start evaporating ). That's a couple-hour ride but pretty much unique destination. Fred's is only open on Saturday and, IIRC, closes at 1P (and the music moves to another bar down the street.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
RickS OP
Studly Adventurer

That sounds like a good ride. I heard about Toledo bend. Know anything about that.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
bluestar
misfit

All I really know about Toledo Bend is that if it was full of water, it'd be a big ass lake. Last time I saw it was about 3 years ago and the water level was way down. I've heard there is supposed to be some good riding around the lake but I've never actually spent any time in the area.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #11
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 515
I lived in Natchitoches for a year in high school. Take Woodyard Drive east, on the south side of town off of Hwy 1, and follow the Cane River as far as you want to go. Hwy 6 west out of town to 117 down through Provencal, and then east back on 478 until you re-hit I-49 and Hwy 1 is a good afternoon ride. If you want to venture a little further afield for the day, then you could always go visit the Bonnie and Clyde Ambush Site near Gibsland.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:35 AM   #12
RickS OP
Studly Adventurer

Gibsland looks to,be only 70 miles from nachitoches which is a good afternoon trip. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #13
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 924
New Orleanian here!

I'm afraid can only agree with the other lads' assessment of the roads in LA. I regularly slab it for 350-600 miles just to get to some good stuff. However, you can still have quite an interesting ride on boring roads - full-on Southern Fried Country style.

Not many Americans (never mind foreigners) visit Louisiana for anything other than boozing or hunting / fishing - generally not roaming much farther afield than New Orleans. So, you're already getting a peak into a part of the world that most never will. This in itself is kinda cool, but when you throw in the fact that time has almost stood still in some of those small towns (good ol' boys in 60-year old pick-ups hauling all manner of odd things; horse-drawn ploughs; Confederate flags flying over yards littered with machine parts; rickety one-room shotgun shacks with no utilities and tangles of shoeless kids playing with sticks and old tires out front etc) it can be quite an experience. Just even taking a moment to look out over a cotton field and consider its history is a bit of a trip.

And that's before you even stop to sample some down home Southern hospitality in any of the various hole-in-the-wall roadhouses, juke joints or mom & pop diners serving deep fried fair to people whose entire families continue to live there after countless generations, farm dudes and gas n' oil men with nickel-plated revolvers on their hips and the local sheriff who looks just like he should. And then of course, there's the areas where you don't feel quite so welcome too... Not to mention place names like 'Kickapoo'.

Living way on down state, I have actually ridden most of a day just to get to Kisatchie National Forest to find some trails (a lot of which you could explore on a street bike) and camp out for a while.

It definitely aint no Colorado and it might not blow your socks off, but it and nearby Sabine National Forest (including the Toledo River) are pretty enough and the surrounding area is definitely worth experiencing from a cultural, historical and geographical perspective at least. Also the weather down here is perfect right now. But if you do still get bored you can easily pass the time playing "count the churches". It takes some doing!

Just watch out for Stank Apes.

And mosquitos the size of Huey Bells.

Have a good one!

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 10-14-2014 at 12:51 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
Melrose Plantation, ~20-25mi south of town, is worth a visit ... really serene.

If you have the time and inclination, you could leave early Saturday morning, honk down I-49, peel off on US167 south to LA13 to Mamou and be parked in Fred's Lounge at 8A when the live Cajun music starts (and the pony beers start evaporating ). That's a couple-hour ride but pretty much unique destination. Fred's is only open on Saturday and, IIRC, closes at 1P (and the music moves to another bar down the street.

+1 on Fred's (but don't expect to be in any shape to ride anywhere after!)

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #15
RickS OP
Studly Adventurer

I forgot there was cotton around Natchitoches. They are spraying leave drop on the cotton here. I hope they do not use that crap down there. Hopefully my visit will be after the harvest. Thinking last week of this month depending on my kids schedule