User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
nmtrialsguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Question Out of stater wanting to tag a new offroad bike in TX

Just got a new Freeride 250 2T and want to see if I can plate it for road use in TX. Bike-wise it is easy to make it legal...not sure if TX wants turn signals or not?

Anyhow, the "catch" might be that the MSO or certificate of origin says: "Notice: This vehicle was not manufactured for use on public streets, roads or highways. Such use is restricted by law."

Have any of you Texans actually plated a bike with a MSO that says that? Thanks for any help/suggestions! I can easily take it to be inspected, just want to know if when I send in all paperwork will it work? I have a TX address to use. Thanks!
nmtrialsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
DepthFinder
Portly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmtrialsguy View Post
Just got a new Freeride 250 2T and want to see if I can plate it for road use in TX. Bike-wise it is easy to make it legal...not sure if TX wants turn signals or not?

Anyhow, the "catch" might be that the MSO or certificate of origin says: "Notice: This vehicle was not manufactured for use on public streets, roads or highways. Such use is restricted by law."

Have any of you Texans actually plated a bike with a MSO that says that? Thanks for any help/suggestions! I can easily take it to be inspected, just want to know if when I send in all paperwork will it work? I have a TX address to use. Thanks!
Your best bet is to get it titled as an Off Highway Vehicle first. Then get it legal and inspected (no turn signals required) insured, and take that documentation to have the title converted to street legal and get plates

You might be able to get it all at once, but most tax office personnel are sketchy on even switching it to plated status to begin with. They'll usually consult three books and two supervisors before putting it through. In my experience, that is.
But save your energy, your journey here is far from over.
DepthFinder is offline   Reply With Quote